Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338779 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #350 on: 23 November, 2018, 02:00:47 pm »
No, the overlay should be listed as "Explorer".
If its not there, check you set the correct folder in the Explorer app. Probably something like Android/data/net.osmand/files/tiles. May depend on your phone and Android version, and whether you have installed OsmAnd on the internal memory or SD card.

Thanks.  OsmAnd data is on SD card.  From sync in ExpHlper app, I go files>tiles (folders mapillary vector & raster & OsmAnd online tile) and click select...  Then, go recreate tiles & rides, get message 'Explorer tiles have been recreated', but then, 'Error during creating rides file'. 
Maybe it's not worth bothering with...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #351 on: 23 November, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »
I've never got it to work either and get the same 'error during creating rides file' too.

My OSMand folder is on my SD card, dunno if that's got anything to do with it.   

I've set app permissions for explorer helper to access the card.  I've tried selecting the 'files' folder and the 'files/tiles' folder, neither work.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #352 on: 23 November, 2018, 02:55:38 pm »
Got it working!   
Within OSMand I moved the storage folder to internal storage.  In explorer helper selected the 'osmand' folder. 

Update the rides and tiles

Then select explorer as a map overlay in OSMand.

« Reply #353 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:11:54 pm »
Goodstuff.  I don't have enough internal memory left to move the OsmAnd folder, 37Gb free on the card though.  Running Android oreo 8.1.

« Reply #354 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:28:06 pm »
Is there an iOS application that will show tiles (ideally including those already visited) available?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #355 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:30:25 pm »
Goodstuff.  I don't have enough internal memory left to move the OsmAnd folder, 37Gb free on the card though.  Running Android oreo 8.1.
You could tell it to download the Explorer tiles to a folder in the internal memory. Then use a file manager move that folder to your OsmAnd folder on the card.

« Reply #356 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:48:34 pm »

You could tell it to download the Explorer tiles to a folder in the internal memory. Then use a file manager move that folder to your OsmAnd folder on the card.

Brilliant, cheers,  that works.   Although I got it working moving the OSMand to internal memory, it does fill up the internal memory somewhat.  That's a much better solution.  Cheers

« Reply #357 on: 23 November, 2018, 08:50:36 pm »
Didn't work for me, oh well.  I can select the Explorer overlay in OsmAnd map config, but no tiles display.  Anyway the Explorer app itself is sort of useful from a location POV, if there's reception. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #358 on: 23 November, 2018, 08:54:50 pm »
Didn't work for me, oh well.  I can select the Explorer overlay in OsmAnd map config, but no tiles display.  Anyway the Explorer app itself is sort of useful from a location POV, if there's reception.

Open up the area you plan to explore when you have signal, zoom around, move around, view it a few different levels. This should then get cached for when you are offline.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #359 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:58:13 pm »
This morning, I had to drop my wife off in Herne Bay for a running event, then took the dog for a walk. The tide was out far enough that there was beach exposed around the end of Hampton Pier, so I took the opportunity for a spot of opportunistic tile-bagging and fired up Strava on my phone to grab the annoying odd tile that always seems to be underwater whenever I'm passing by...

Hasn't made any meaningful difference to my stats but very satisfying!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #360 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:59:38 pm »
Yay \o/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #361 on: 25 November, 2018, 09:01:06 pm »

Got invited to join a hike in the dunes today, 10km walked, bagged one tile that I hadn't yet, and wasn't sure how to get it by bike. Doesn't add anything to the numbers, yet...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #362 on: 25 November, 2018, 09:34:11 pm »
My tile square now has the dizzying dimensions of 11x11.  Doubt I'll be able to maintain this rate of increase  ;)   (5x5 -> 11x11 in 12 days)

« Reply #363 on: 26 November, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
Only 20 new tiles in a 55km slog around some of the Surrey Hills (including White Down), but it connected up a few bits I'd ridden before and filled in a couple of random missing tiles.

Still need to pay attention to route plotting, I did 1km of almost unrideable public footpath for no real reason (there was a perfectly good road that still hit the same squares) but I never know whether this is necessary or not at the time so dutifully stick to my route.

3 overlapping 18x18 squares (was lots of 14x14)
Max cluster up from 453 to 509.
Explorer score up from 5709 to 5729.

Also need to clean the bike and relube the chain, spots of rust on it before starting it, and the raceblade-esque mudguard on the back ate itself when I got the bike off the train at Clapham Junction. Should really take off the tri-bars too as I'm not using them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rr

« Reply #364 on: 26 November, 2018, 05:47:28 pm »
Now up to 12×12, I will now have to work at all sides to increase.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #365 on: 27 November, 2018, 12:34:23 pm »
Ooh, realised I can get up to 21x21 with one 50km ride around Guildford (well, I only need a 20km ride to cover the bare minimum tiles but no point going there for that short a ride): Marble Arch top right corner, Slough top left, Redhill bottom right, just West of Guildford bottom left. That's next week's ride sorted assuming the trains aren't messed up.

Don't have as much time on a Monday as my daughter's after school gymnastics class has finished (which gave me an extra 1h15m), hopefully she'll want to do it again next term.

Getting to/from places using the trains to do a long enough ride is a bit tighter now and, given how frequent there are problems on the trains, I don't want to be stranded 25 miles away with only 90 minutes to get back. Building up distance though, so should be good for 100km in 5h once the weather improves in Spring, that'll let me cover a lot more ground without worrying about trains at all.

« Reply #366 on: 27 November, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »
I have managed a couple of short extensions to my commute by using the train and have filled gaps between my main cluster and a smaller group of tiles in East Lothian which I'd covered during an audax.  It was only 12-15 tiles and my cluster is up by 13 to 583, but it is a step that will give future benefits.

I am being given a 3 week break by my client due to a contractor furlough and think I can get away with 3 tiling rides during the time before my kids finish school.  I intend to ride home from Berwick, North Berwick and Dundee and hope my cluster should reach St Andrews and Haddington and increase to 700 in that time.  If I can climb Saline Hill in that time I will also get a 12x12 square

« Reply #367 on: 27 November, 2018, 10:02:26 pm »
A grand afternoon out filling in a load of gaps at the north of my square took me from 13x13 to 17x17:

I had particular trouble with this square west of Epping, which despite being yards from the M25 (and the LEL route) has no roads or bridleways:

I decided I couldn't be arsed sticking to the footpaths which would eventually get you there legally, and instead dumped my bike legged it across the field to the nearest corner of the square. Also, trying to continue west from there I only found mud tracks were I'd expected a road, so more trespassing required to rejoin the road network without doubling back.

I also found there are two squares west of Cheshunt straddling the M25 that are only accessible on a road that has lots of keep out signs and locked gates across it with electronic keypads, but is actually a public bridleway.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #368 on: 28 November, 2018, 07:04:57 am »
That's a wiggly piece of art! :)

« Reply #369 on: 28 November, 2018, 07:55:07 am »

I decided I couldn't be arsed sticking to the footpaths which would eventually get you there legally, and instead dumped my bike legged it across the field to the nearest corner of the square. Also, trying to continue west from there I only found mud tracks were I'd expected a road, so more trespassing required to rejoin the road network without doubling back.

That square is blocking me. My first thought was to use one of the farm tracks, but they have big gates across. My current plan is to use the footpath to get to the brook just north of Spratt's Hedgerow Wood, then nip across into the square.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #370 on: 28 November, 2018, 08:19:21 am »
Yes, the purple line by “Orange Wood” has a gate across it and a private sign, but the dotted green line I took is a signposted footpath. Then you just need to decide when to dash east into the square.

And as I say, don’t try to go west from here unless you really like mud.

« Reply #371 on: 28 November, 2018, 09:16:49 am »
Having a quick look on Streetview and Strava I'd probably plan on doing it from the East when I get round to doing that bit. The farm track off Bury Lane (by the B181/B182 junction) looks relatively rideable, might have to lift the bike over the gate first:-

https://goo.gl/maps/cAcSWbE4vZk

Strava Heatmap shows just a few people have cycled and run the whole of the road that goes North/South across that tile.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #372 on: 30 November, 2018, 06:35:00 pm »
Filling in the Swiss cheese. A local 46km pootle bagged seventeen new tiles and took the max cluster over 300  :thumbsup:

vv_181130 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #373 on: 01 December, 2018, 09:31:22 pm »
Spotted this thread late, fun to see your exploring challenges.
 I've been filling in Explorer tiles since Ben came up with the idea, watching the overall tile numbers grow with big summer adventures.  Just lately I've made an effort to fill in the local gaps; Yesterday saw a big jump up to a 58 Box with most rides from home.

I don't do as well on the cluster front as I have spread a spidersweb of rides, might be fun trying for a coast to coast cluster over the next few years. The Wash to Seven bridge for starters.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #374 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »
Had to ride over to my parents this morning so took the opportunity to devise a route that picked off 12 new tiles, upping my max cluster from 268 to 296. Even did a nice bit of comedy offroading on a grassy footpath.

There are still four irritating tiles over that way making an unsightly hole in my cluster, but they'll require the MTB.

Haven't been out on the bike much lately so my picking off of East Kent tiles is making slow progress, but I'm getting there...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."