Author Topic: Nokia N95 and GPS query  (Read 1716 times)

Nokia N95 and GPS query
« on: 24 May, 2009, 07:37:24 pm »
I've been lent an N95 whilst my replacement phone arrives courtesy of Tiermat.  :thumbsup:   It has built in gps but I don't seem to be able to use it.  The maps will not load even though there is a file in the Garmin folder.   The owner says that it has never worked but she'd like it if it did.   I tried to load down the maps from the Nokia site but I can download a nokia maps file to my PC then I have no idea at all as to what to do next.

Can any N95 or similar users out there help please?

I just think that it would be nice to give it back with the GPS working if at all I can.  I've managed to update the firmware and the interface generally is so much better than it was.

All help gratefully received.   :)

Re: Nokia N95 and GPS query
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »
The maps will not load even though there is a file in the Garmin folder.

Is it a Garmin application that you're using or is it the Nokia Maps application that comes with the phone? If the latter then the map info is likely in the wrong place if it's in a folder titled Garmin. I've no experience of the Garmin app for the N95 so you'd need to look at the user manual to find out what's up.

I tried to load down the maps from the Nokia site but I can download a nokia maps file to my PC then I have no idea at all as to what to do next.

That sounds like the Nokia Maps application that you've downloaded. If so you'll need Nokia PC Suite to install it. It should already be on the phone I'd have thought, even if you've updated the firmware. Either way, once it's on the phone, you'll still need to upload the actual map data from your computer otherwise the phone needs to download it as it needs it using the internet connection. To set the phone up to do that make sure it's set to use the data plan by starting up the app and going to options/settings/network/use network when needed. Could work out quite pricey if you don't have an unlimited data plan.

Easiest and cheapest way to get the correct maps without needing to use the internet connection is to use Map Loader to upload the maps you need manually and store them on the phone. That way you can leave the network set to 'never' and save on internet costs.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2009, 12:09:55 pm »
Mobile GMaps sounds like it'll do nicely for the N95:

http://www.mgmaps.com/  (free, donationware)

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2009, 06:15:21 pm »
I've got mobile Gmaps for my N95 and it works a treat.  You do require internet access, however, as the programme downloads maps as required.  The Nokia maps software also requires internet access unless you use the Nokia map loader software on your PC to copy the maps to the phone.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
It says in the blurb that you can pre-download maps.  Is that untrue or just impractical?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2009, 05:21:36 pm »
I've been lent an N95 whilst my replacement phone arrives courtesy of Tiermat.  :thumbsup:   It has built in gps but I don't seem to be able to use it.  The maps will not load even though there is a file in the Garmin folder.

AFAIK, they are not compatible with Garmin maps.

Can any N95 or similar users out there help please?

Not an owner, but helped a friend get OSM maps on his.

GpsMid works ok, including routing(!!!)
and you'll need Osm2GpsMid to convert an OSM file to get .jar and .jad that can be installed on the N95.

Depending what size of map you want, memory might be a problem.
An area that takes about 30Mb unzipped .osm file doesn't take too much memory.

You can have several such GpsMid instances on the N95, so even a large area could be split to manageable chunks.
Though you wouldn't be able to route across the different instances.

There are 2 options to create the GpsMid:
1) All bundled in one .jar file.
2) .jar file of only the application, and a bunch of (many many) files that holds the map data.

Having the files outside of the .jar lets you upgrade only the map, reserving all your settings.
But since it's SO MANY files, I'd advise against it.
There aren't many settings, so it shouldn't be a problem to set things every time you upgrade the map.

My friend reported some minor instabilities (though it did work.)
I don't know all the details,
but since GpsMid is open source, then (theoretically) problems should be cleaned over time.

And I guess that in this forum I don't need to point the pros of using osm...
Not to mention that the creation of the GpsMid could be scriptable, so new versions could be created on a regular basis (if only there were people here who create maps from .osm source on a regular basis...  ;) )

Tal.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2009, 11:08:19 am »
IIRC, you use the nokia maps loader, which is a software application that you run on your home pc when connected to your N95, and it downloads the maps from nokia and pushes them to the correct place on the N95 for you.
That's what i did to start off with and also when i borked it by formatting the memory card.

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2009, 12:49:12 pm »
I have an e71. I am pretty sure maps was preinstalled, with the maps on the memory card that came with it. If it isn't, download the PC suite, download nokia maps, hook your phone up and use the software installer.

Sport tracker is worth a look. Live broadcast of rides, laps, comparisons of rides by route, etc.