Author Topic: No roads near starting point  (Read 1983 times)

No roads near starting point
« on: 13 September, 2009, 05:08:03 pm »
Whenever set to navigate by road following, my Vista C now makes the above complaint. Routes are loaded from MapSource, which follows roads happily. I've tried deleting the first point and replacing it with one that the GPS says is on a road, but that makes no difference. It's plain from the GPS screen that points are on the road anyway.

What does the panel suggest?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: No roads near starting point
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »
When selecting  map tiles to be downloaded to the GPS ensure the 'include route calculation data' checkbox at the bottom of the 'maps' sidebar page is ticked.

Top Tip: Being the happy owner of a Whopping Great Big memory card (4GB) I build a mapset consisting of the whole of the UK which I download to the GPS. This takes Real Time (well about 15 minutes or so). Thereafter I only need download routes/tracks/waypoints which is Real Quick. Works for me.

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »
That sounds promising but sadly I'm in Ireland with the GPS and MapSource is at home in the UK. The Vista C doesn't take cards but will try the MapSource setting ASAP thanks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »
You'll have just the basemap on the GPS, yes?  Or did it come preloaded with something more detailed?

If you just have the basemap, and mapsource has a richer map, that'll explain it. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »
I am pretty sure that the Vista C just had a basemap, but I have never found anything to explain what one of those is or does. Mine probably had a US basemap, but it doesn't appear on any page that I have seen. I have a utility to install a UK basemap, but since it has no visible use I haven't bothered with it.

I always use MapSource maps instead.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:52:31 pm »
The basemap is just a limited-detail map that comes with the device.  They'll generally cover all M and A roads and towns, and anything finer than that is a dice roll.  Rudimentary mapping to get you across-country more or less.  Otherwise the world is a sea of blank yellow...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
My experience is with a Vista HCx, but I expect the same applies...

This error usually means you don't have a routable map selected.  Either you've downloaded the map without the routing data (there's a tickybox in Mapsource iirc), or you've overlayed it with a non-routable (topo, openstreetmap, etc) map.

Top tip:  in the "setup map" menu's "information" tab, where you can select/deselect individual maps by clicking on their respective tickyboxes, press the menu button again.  You'll be given the option to show/hide all maps of a given type in a single click.  This means you can switch between routable maps like City Navigator or the basemap and non-routable but sometimes more useful Topo maps in a couple of clicks, rather than spending the next three million years scrolling through the entire UK's mapping in search of the one you care (or specifically don't care) about.

Annoyingly, TopoGB is always rendered over City Navigator, which nobbles its routing capability.  As a compromise, I usually use the SMC Contour Maps in combination with the City Navigator maps, for a routable map with visible contours.

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »
When selecting  map tiles to be downloaded to the GPS ensure the 'include route calculation data' checkbox at the bottom of the 'maps' sidebar page is ticked.

Hmm, that option is greyed out. The Help says that that happens when the device is not capable of routing (which my Vista C is) or I have not selected suitable data.

Any ideas?

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2009, 12:04:53 am »
What sort of mapping data do you have?
(City Navigator, Topo GB, Metroguide, OpenStreetmap, other)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2009, 11:38:55 am »
Hmm, that option is greyed out. The Help says that that happens when the device is not capable of routing (which my Vista C is) or I have not selected suitable data.

That seems like a rather 'unhelpful' bit of help to me.
The option is greyed out - or not - even when there is no device connected.

Is this the so-called 'incompatibility' using Metroguide maps by any chance?

On one PC I have Metroguide installed and when I select map tiles, that option remains greyed out (because Metroguide has had its autorouting hobbled by those nice people at Garmin, to encourage you to buy City instead).
On another PC, I have the same version of Metroguide but plus the 'Gold' patch (which nobbles the hobble, highly recommended) and the option is available and ticked by default, even when there is no GPS attached.  And the routing works OK (as OK as it ever does) on a Legend C (though ticking the box bloats the maps so you can't load as big an area, on the non-card-carrying models).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2009, 07:12:07 pm »
I've got MetroGuide Europe (MapSource v9). Looks as though Frankie is hinting at the answer here?