Author Topic: Start Time/Group  (Read 25942 times)

Re: Start Time/Group
« Reply #75 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:58:02 pm »
80 hours in the A group at 16:00  :thumbsup:

Yup - me too !

They do issue free body armour at the start for this group don't they ... ?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #76 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:50:01 pm »

Yup - me too !

"a" group is more relaxed than "b" and "c" which give it full beans until they catch the a's

simonp

« Reply #77 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »
It was hectic in c. Particularly hard to keep up on fixed. I stayed with it for about 80km before being dropped, which was a blessing as I could bring my heart rate back down to sustainable levels and eventually find a well-paced group to ride with (not until after Mortagne).

« Reply #78 on: 14 January, 2019, 06:43:26 pm »

Yup - me too !

"a" group is more relaxed than "b" and "c" which give it full beans until they catch the a's

Interesting info !  I wouldn’t have expected that.

« Reply #79 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:16:02 pm »

Yup - me too !

Interesting info !  I wouldn’t have expected that.

that was only last time.
A number of fast French cyclo sportif riders had been caught asleep as they discovered in the spring of 2015 that they should have ridden pre-qualifiers. So they had to start in group c when their time to register came. I expect them to be better prepared this time.

« Reply #80 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:45:30 pm »
Well I'm registered and starting in the 'special needs' group at 17:45. Still plenty of space. :-)

« Reply #81 on: 15 January, 2019, 11:56:27 am »
Group A for me too! Going to be a blast.

« Reply #82 on: 15 January, 2019, 01:05:54 pm »
Another 90 hour, 18.30 starter here:  :thumbsup:
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #83 on: 15 January, 2019, 03:01:41 pm »
Can't make my mind up on start times. Definitely want to start on the Sunday and quite like the idea of starting near the back. But I just don't fancy the idea of starting after 8pm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Reply #84 on: 15 January, 2019, 04:31:48 pm »
Group C -16.30. Same as last time-by choice. It was  "quite interesting " at some points -in particular when quite a large  part of the following group caught us and over took us on the other side of the road. Without telling the car coming the other way , they were going to do that ............

« Reply #85 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:07:21 pm »
After a few calculations of daylight hours and estimated finishing time of day or night, I decided on the 84 hour Group Z starting at 0530 on the Monday morning. An 80 hour or early 90 hour start would probably mean finishing very early on the Wednesday morning for me, or it might take a few hours longer because of needing more sleep. With an 84 hour start I should be able to ride through the Monday night with little or no sleep and get to about 900km before I need a sleep on the Tuesday night. Even then I plan to keep that sleep short as there will only be about 300km to go and I would like to finish before Wednesday night. I've opted for Group Z rather than Group X so I can get up half an hour later and spend half an hour less cycling in the dark. It also means there will be another 600 riders ahead of me and I could possibly meet riders from all start groups as the ride progresses.

« Reply #86 on: 15 January, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »
Monday 0515 for me -)

« Reply #87 on: 18 January, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
There should be a Random PBP Question thread but can you (and if you can, how easy is it to) change start times closer to the event?

rob

« Reply #88 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:07:22 pm »
There should be a Random PBP Question thread but can you (and if you can, how easy is it to) change start times closer to the event?

Your start time is ‘locked’ after you pre-register.   However, after qualifying you go back in and confirm your tides and complete your entry.  At this point, last time at least, you could change your start time provided there is space in the group you want.

« Reply #89 on: 19 January, 2019, 08:55:06 am »

Your start time is ‘locked’ after you pre-register.   However, after qualifying you go back in and confirm your tides and complete your entry.  At this point, last time at least, you could change your start time provided there is space in the group you want.
Cool, thanks.

« Reply #90 on: 19 January, 2019, 05:11:15 pm »
Take note: In 2015 I pre-registered a 4pm 90 hour slot (I think) after doing 1000km in 2014. The advantage was lost months later when I forgot to complete the entry, and ended with an 8pm start. Finished in 80 hours. If I enter again, I'll still go for 90 hours, and be full value, to see more scenery, and spectators at the finish. I'll be a young 52 year old!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 19 January, 2019, 05:57:39 pm »
Take note: In 2015 I pre-registered a 4pm 90 hour slot (I think) after doing 1000km in 2014. The advantage was lost months later when I forgot to complete the entry, and ended with an 8pm start. Finished in 80 hours. If I enter again, I'll still go for 90 hours, and be full value, to see more scenery, and spectators at the finish. I'll be a young 52 year old!

Put the date in your diary. They do tell you by which date you need to have converted your pre registration to a registration.

« Reply #92 on: 19 January, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »

Put the date in your diary. They do tell you by which date you need to have converted your pre registration to a registration.
I know that. I'm just forgetful. The dates are by the computer too.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #93 on: 20 January, 2019, 12:08:31 pm »
I put unmissable dates into Google Calendar and set it to email me.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:49:59 am »
18:45 for me :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #95 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:40:00 am »
M - 19:00

That's considerably further ahead than I have started the last 2.

I really enjoyed the chase to pass the bulge in 2011.

I did not enjoy passing wobbly riders who were in the middle of the road whilst on fixed in 2015, especially going up hills where fixed is so much faster.

I think the bulge will be even bulgier this time around, so went with the earliest slot I could find - and nice that it's on the hour as it makes my maths easier when my head hurts later in the ride.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #96 on: 28 January, 2019, 10:22:48 am »
Whereas I'm at the tail-end again on Monday morning.  I'm unlikely to be on fixed this time.
(6th time at age 66 – should be a devil of a ride!)

« Reply #97 on: 28 January, 2019, 11:21:01 am »
Group D 1645 80hr for me, for better or worse. Just want to start as early as possible and stay ahead of the bulge all the way.

Starting in the morning in 2011 meant I was tired enough by midnight to need a sleep on the way out, which I'm hoping to avoid this time and ride through the first night.

Remains to be seen what the standard of group riding is in the later 80hr groups though. Anyone with any experience?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #98 on: 28 January, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »
18:45 for me :thumbsup:
19:30 for me, 90 hours to close down a 45 minute gap!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #99 on: 28 January, 2019, 03:23:55 pm »
19:15 start, 90 hours for me.
ACME - Suffolk Branch