Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134314 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13900 on: 15 June, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »
Serviced my old Elektra Beckum mitre saw. All went nicely until I checked the cut at the 90° stop and got ~92°. All that the handbook's stop-adjustment method does is reduce binding tension on the locking lever, which does SFA for the cutting angle. One is glum.
Is this not an opportunity for the acquisition of a new mitre saw?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13901 on: 16 June, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
Yebbut it'd cost :o € to get the same quality.  I'll fettle a bit further, and simply use a square or a bevel if nothing else works.

Anyway, I'm currently angling for a nail gun on the strength of needing to panel the hall where the dogs rub against it.  Strategy is (a) get nail gun (b) proclaim current air compressor inadequate (c) get new compressor (d) inflate dogs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13902 on: 18 June, 2019, 05:43:52 pm »
Touched up some flaky bits on Surly with the wrong shade of green but it won't show cos it's the chainstay bridge.

Then fitted new mudguard. But tomorrow (if I have time) I'll take it off again... so I can enlarge the slot in the seatstay bridge bracket. It could go up a good cm. I was intending to take it to Bike Kitchen on Thursday in the hope they have some sort of grinding tool (it's stainless steel) but realised I can probably use a drill.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13903 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:00:29 pm »
Part-serviced dad's MTB. Degreased, cleaned and lubed chain and cassette, cleaned the externals of everything else with car shampoo, serviced rear derailleur including lubing jockey wheels, unfortunately the hanger is bent so have ordered a new one online. Repaired an inner tube, replaced a rim's sketchy looking tape, etc.

I would like to do the tyres tubelessly one day when I get the time. The problem with my dad is he owns 5 very good bikes, which you might think a good problem to have, but the servicing obligations really add up. I'd rather have a town bike and one-two good bikes, which I'd look after immaculately, than a wide stable that takes a full weekend to maintain.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13904 on: 19 June, 2019, 01:46:48 pm »
I was intending to take it to Bike Kitchen on Thursday in the hope they have some sort of grinding tool (it's stainless steel) but realised I can probably use a drill.
Used a drill to round out the bracket slot. Yeow! Should have got ear protectors! Still, the wheel is spinning and not rubbing on anything, seems to be equal gap all the way round.

Ed: And it passes the washer in the gap test. Sort of at least – doesn't spit the washer out but neither does it jam.

« Reply #13905 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:58:19 pm »
I actually cleaned the trice today   :o .I also have tightened a few loose fittings and pumped the tyres up to pressure   O:-)
the slower you go the more you see

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13906 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:01:25 pm »
My energy supplier's emails about meter readings finally persuaded me to fix the latch on my electricy box. The job took a sharp screwdriver to turn the lock (the triangle bit had broken off), and a hacksaw to persuade the retaining tabs to release, but it all works now :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13907 on: 22 June, 2019, 07:39:39 pm »
Dropped in to see my chum Cat Head. He has a Dawes Galaxy of unknown vintage which has been subject to various bastardisations over the course of its lifetime before he got it (eg double chainset reduced to a single, with both rings still present, the outer relegated to chain guard duties by having its teeth removed).
Anyhow, he'd bought new seat post for it, getting the alleged right size by taking the old one into the LBS and them measuring the diameter. Except the new one slips. His plan was to drill the seat post and seat pin to put a bolt through. I suggssted this was a bad idea so fitted a beer can shim to it instead and all was well.

Later examination of the old one revealed the diameter, 26.3, stamped on it. The LBS sold him a 26.0. Either they need a new verbier, learn how to use it or learn how to read. Or all three.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13908 on: 23 June, 2019, 01:12:16 pm »
the planter outside the front garden was looking very sorry for itself and the plant in it had long expired, so i popped off to the garden centre to pick up a nice acer to go in a better pot I had sat empty. also repotted a standard fuschia that ive grown from a cutting, and they are now bracketing the door.

the trellis snack of the old wooden planter has been repurposed as part of my cucumber support system in the greenhouse
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13909 on: 23 June, 2019, 05:23:39 pm »
Made a couple of adaptor plates for my Ortlieb under-saddle bag (one bag with tools, tubes, medical stuff I have to keep with me etc that just fits to the bike I'm using) to fit Brooks saddles where the rails don't really match up to the Ortlieb mount.

A bit of 5mm aluminum sheet drilled to use the Ortleib rail clamp to attach to the Brooks rails and then a couple of holes to bolt on the other part of the Ortlieb clamp that the bag slides on to.   The bag clamp was too close to the seatpost clamp to connect ... and by setting the bag/clamp further back there's less strain on the mechanism.

Rob

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13910 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:43:03 am »
Repaired my first ever commute puncture. Thankfully it only became apparent when I got home. I say thankfully because they must have used an air ratchet, at the factory, to do up the nuts on the rear wheel.

Anyway it was caused by a very small sliver of glass, not unexpected as the route I use tends to get covered in it and the tyres are Kenda Kwest, not the worst when it comes to fairy protection, but not the best either.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13911 on: 01 July, 2019, 12:15:11 am »
Nothing, but...

IMG_3297_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13912 on: 01 July, 2019, 08:06:19 am »
 :D :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13913 on: 01 July, 2019, 09:47:58 am »
Max Bruno Fettling (* 24. Februar 1907 in Berlin; † 14. Februar 1974 ebenda) war ein deutscher Gewerkschafter und Opfer des Stalinismus.[1][2][3]
My dodgy Deutsch thinks that means he was a trade unionist and victim of Stalinism.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13914 on: 01 July, 2019, 11:01:23 am »
ye shedde has been tidied, rearranged and swept.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13915 on: 01 July, 2019, 04:36:40 pm »
Just applied a repair patch to an Ortlieb front-roller, which had a small and mysteriously clean cut in it.  I don't *think* I've had any sharp objects in there recently, but that's my best guess for how it might have happened...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13916 on: 02 July, 2019, 06:32:26 pm »
Pedal of a kid's shiny! new! "wheelie-bike"-shaped-object! after it fell off at the critical moment between "What the fuck is that!?!" and wheelieing past me show-offingly.  As he picked himself and pedal off the road, I calmly stopped and asked if he'd like to borrow a spanner.

Kids today don't know how to use a spanner apparently (I think he was confused to discover that the pedal rotates on its axle), so I sorted it out for him - explaining about the widdershins thread - and checked the other side wasn't about to go the same way.  As the threads were mostly unharmed, I suggested that if it looked like it was going to come off again, take it to a bike shop and get them to do it up bastard tight with a proper pedal spanner "which is much longer, and fits in this gap properly without getting stuck like this one does".

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13917 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:02:15 pm »
Using a combination of Bad Swears, insulating tape, a 10mm socket and kitchen roll, the lawn mower she works once more.

I may have also channelled C W Moss
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13918 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:48:06 pm »
Mini router table from scrap:

The groove takes the mitre guide thinggy from the circular saw.

Two screws hold it to bench, vice adds support. Pretty solid.  Should be OK unless screws shear when I try to remove it. :o

Not very precise with the nail gun yet - looks like it's been attacked by large mosquitoes.

Router is an el cheapo Katsu. Ear-plugs obligatory, especially with its nice big sounding-board: MrsT took a hasty step back when I switched it on. If it burns out I'll get a wee Makita, it's screw-hole compatible.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13919 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:52:57 pm »
All brake pads on a fellow rider's bike (along with adjusting out wear in a caliper) before tomorrow's trundle up the Tourmalet. Judging by how he'd fitted a pair of pads, he'd have ended up coming down it in an ambulance.

Before that, replaced 2 x 406 tubes and 1 x 622 on 3 different bikes during the 1000 UAF, mostly without tyre levers.

HK is increasingly interested in my fitting tubeless 406 rims and tyres to her Moulton, particularly after she had to fix another flat by herself after descending the Tourmalet. Two of the 406 flats were problems with previously patched tubes (not my responsibility). Theoretically only using new tubes would have avoided those problems.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13920 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:08:02 am »
Just de-rusted & sharpened MrsT's garden shears. Messy job - she keeps them outside.

« Reply #13921 on: 04 July, 2019, 03:58:25 pm »
Dropped in to see my chum Cat Head. He has a Dawes Galaxy of unknown vintage which has been subject to various bastardisations over the course of its lifetime before he got it (eg double chainset reduced to a single, with both rings still present, the outer relegated to chain guard duties by having its teeth removed).
Anyhow, he'd bought new seat post for it, getting the alleged right size by taking the old one into the LBS and them measuring the diameter. Except the new one slips. His plan was to drill the seat post and seat pin to put a bolt through. I suggssted this was a bad idea so fitted a beer can shim to it instead and all was well.

Later examination of the old one revealed the diameter, 26.3, stamped on it. The LBS sold him a 26.0. Either they need a new verbier, learn how to use it or learn how to read. Or all three.

Yebbut then they'd be on a slippery slope.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13922 on: 04 July, 2019, 05:45:52 pm »
Dribbled ep90 into two geared freewheels and a hub freewheel.  Now both mechanisms work and don't feel like they are full of debris.

Might start reassembly of bikes but why put off today when you can put it off to next week.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13923 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:29:08 pm »
Our bed.
It started squeaking last night (stop sniggering at the back!)
Given that I fidget a *lot* that was rather irritating.
A bit of silicon fluid on a joint and it seemed to go quiet, after a bit of Delicatessen style bed jiggling.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13924 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:46:29 pm »
Finally sorted an annoying creak on my Lancastrian River*.

It seemed to be coming from the front end, but I serviced the headset, it was still there.

On the basis that noises on bikes are really hard to locate, I checked the BB, which seemed fine, and still it creaked.

Still fairly confident that it was coming from the front end, I cleaned the stem bolts and the headset bolts and the stem/bar connection. Still creaking.

I took out the front wheel and gave it a heave - no noise!

Turned out to be grit between the forks and the hub. Now all is silent.

Just the constantly-loosening headset to sort out now. And assorted noises on the other bikes...

*I refuse to give them the publicity.