Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575771 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12725 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:44:54 pm »
It appears to be full of shoes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12726 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:48:41 pm »
It's more or less the same thing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12727 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:52:55 pm »
I have Strava nagging me to buy new shoes, because the manufacturers recommend buying new ones after 500k or whatever.

Hmm, product manufacturer recommends buying more products.
What a surprise!

I wonder how much it costs to have Strava as a shop-front partner?

« Reply #12728 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:01:13 pm »
500 km! That's barely broken in.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12729 on: 24 November, 2020, 01:34:42 am »
My running shoes are still in good condition but just looking... and that throws up all sorts of other 'suggested searches' such as 'Is it ok to walk in running shoes?'
Is it OK to walk in running shoes?
In general, running shoes have more cushioning in the heel and forefoot. ... You don't necessarily need this in walking shoes. Just as it's vital that you wear the right shoes for running, it's important to wear the correct shoes for walking. The right shoes can help prevent injury and make walking more enjoyable.

And 'Is it bad to walk in running shoes?'
Is it bad to walk in running shoes?
Walking in a running shoe, which often has less cushion, could lead to impact injuries like plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, and Achilles tendinitis.

So it's not ok to walk in running shoes, because they have more cushioning. And it's bad to walk in running shoes, because they have less cushioning. Isn't the internet full of shit?

Sounds very much like the Daily Mail Oncology Project.  Do running shoes prevent cancer or increase the risk of your house price getting it?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12730 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:07:07 am »
My running shoes are still in good condition but just looking... and that throws up all sorts of other 'suggested searches' such as 'Is it ok to walk in running shoes?'
In general, running shoes have more cushioning in the heel and forefoot. ... You don't necessarily need this in walking shoes. Just as it's vital that you wear the right shoes for running, it's important to wear the correct shoes for walking. The right shoes can help prevent injury and make walking more enjoyable.

Walking in a running shoe, which often has less cushion, could lead to impact injuries like plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, and Achilles tendinitis.

So it's not ok to walk in running shoes, because they have more cushioning. And it's bad to walk in running shoes, because they have less cushioning. Isn't the internet full of shit?

This isn't as bonkers as it looks. Both statements are sort of true. Running shoes are not the same as "trainers" (either gym trainers or casual trainers); they are designed to be used for running. The structure of the shoe is designed to cushion the impacts resulting from a running gait, which are different to a walking gait. The support is in a different place. This also varies depending on what type of running it is for (road shoes have more cushioning and stability than trail or fell shoes) and the running style of the runner (e.g front foot vs heel strike; pronation control etc.). This means that there are lots of 'running shoes' that are really not ideally suited to walking.

An additional factor is that if you actually run in your running shoes, you should avoid wearing them for normal everyday use as this decreases the lifespan and often distorts the supportiveness.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12731 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:49:37 am »
There is the argument that running in over-cushioned shoes does not actually reduce the impact, as people strike the ground harder in order to receive the same level of proprioception.

There is no need to cushion the impact, that is what the body is designed to do.

[opens can of worms, hides]
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12732 on: 24 November, 2020, 09:03:05 am »

This isn't as bonkers as it looks. Both statements are sort of true. Running shoes are not the same as "trainers" (either gym trainers or casual trainers); they are designed to be used for running. The structure of the shoe is designed to cushion the impacts resulting from a running gait, which are different to a walking gait. The support is in a different place. This also varies depending on what type of running it is for (road shoes have more cushioning and stability than trail or fell shoes) and the running style of the runner (e.g front foot vs heel strike; pronation control etc.). This means that there are lots of 'running shoes' that are really not ideally suited to walking.

An additional factor is that if you actually run in your running shoes, you should avoid wearing them for normal everyday use as this decreases the lifespan and often distorts the supportiveness.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

There are different types of running shoes as well, from the space-hopper Hoka's to thin-soled pure race shoes. Walking in those race shoes wouldn't give much support or cushioning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12733 on: 24 November, 2020, 09:09:58 am »

Yeahbut both specifically say "running shoes" rather than "trainers" and neither specifies a particular type of running shoe.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12734 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:49:33 pm »
wondering why my eyes were all wonky, then I put my glasses down on the table. Arms had oriented into a parallelogram and I was effectively looking sideways. 

They are Ti, so here's hoping there is plenty of wiggle left before the snap.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ppg

« Reply #12735 on: 25 November, 2020, 11:28:03 am »
Unless it concerns Audax, will you please stop bombarding me with 'harder and longer' email offers

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12736 on: 25 November, 2020, 12:28:16 pm »
Unless it concerns Audax, will you please stop bombarding me with 'harder and longer' email offers

You're lucky - I've had about 5 mesages regarding the millions of dollars that I'm due (and not just from Nigeria) in the last couple of days  . .  . I have my paying-in book at the ready ;)

« Reply #12737 on: 27 November, 2020, 04:22:49 pm »
Got some new laces. One of them didn't have plastic ends.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12738 on: 27 November, 2020, 04:59:34 pm »

As I replace laces with elastic Lock-Laces, I have New, Unused (almost) shoe laces surplus to requirements. I can post these to you if you PM me with your details and required length.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12739 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
The sky above the 'stow is the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.  What the hell kind of a time is this for a Gentleman of Leisure to be forced to get up ???

« Reply #12740 on: 02 December, 2020, 12:42:08 pm »
I've got my mouse set so that a click of the wheel acts as the back button. Have done for years over several PCs, and it was working fine on this one (Windows 8.1). Until recently, a click brings up the default scroll bar. So I open the Keyboard and Mouse settings assuming that it's forgotten my setting, to find it's set correctly and now middle click works as expected.

Until I reboot the PC upon which middle click back doesn't work until I open the control centre again.

It's hardly a massive problem but it's irksome. Inordinately so.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #12741 on: 02 December, 2020, 01:09:55 pm »

What makes me grumble is when the plastic aglet splits and half of it drops off leaving a razor sharp cutting edge and a fraying lace.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12742 on: 02 December, 2020, 01:49:02 pm »
That is the colour the sky goes just before THE END OF THE WORLD. Get up Mr Larrington! You're about to be either Raptured or Captured, and neither the Pearly Gates nor the loading dock of the Mothership will open for people in pyjamas, leaving you floating in limbo...

(yes it's the wrong thread but so what)

ian

« Reply #12743 on: 02 December, 2020, 02:11:52 pm »
That is the colour the sky goes just before THE END OF THE WORLD. Get up Mr Larrington! You're about to be either Raptured or Captured, and neither the Pearly Gates nor the loading dock of the Mothership will open for people in pyjamas, leaving you floating in limbo...

I'm more worried that this will lead to Señor Larrers embarking on a new series of IT adventures in the dystopian Walthamsprawl. I suggest we all start watching the Ctrl-Alt-Delete rant thread very carefully.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12744 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:19:58 pm »
Had my first off of the season today, at lunchtime  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12745 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »

I'm more worried that this will lead to Señor Larrers embarking on a new series of IT adventures in the dystopian Walthamsprawl. I suggest we all start watching the Ctrl-Alt-Delete rant thread very carefully.

Well, I ate’nt dead in spite of having to travel to the “Here Be Dragons” territory south of the Lea Bridge Road today.  By bus :o. And the Babbage-Engine has mostly been behaving itself, though it helps if you read your own notes before doing a whole bunch of Stuffs that then gets deleted for the crime of being Unnecessary.

Edit: the early start is probably why this got posted in completely the wrong thread :facepalm:

« Reply #12746 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »

I hope that the only damage is to pride and not to yourself or your bicycle.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12747 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:02:02 pm »

I hope that the only damage is to pride and not to yourself or your bicycle.

Ta. One of the front mudguard bridge bits is now longer attached to the plastic but fairly minor.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12748 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:05:51 pm »
The sky above the 'stow is the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.  What the hell kind of a time is this for a Gentleman of Leisure to be forced to get up ???

If you live where I think you do then I doubt you can see "The Stow" from there!!  - as I knew it years ago when I used to go the dog racing (and one of my brothers drove a stock car there a few times)

I haven't been around there for years but I understand that the lights on the listed frontage are working again.

ian

« Reply #12749 on: 02 December, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »

Well, I ate’nt dead in spite of having to travel to the “Here Be Dragons” territory south of the Lea Bridge Road today.  By bus :o. And the Babbage-Engine has mostly been behaving itself, though it helps if you read your own notes before doing a whole bunch of Stuffs that then gets deleted for the crime of being Unnecessary.

Edit: the early start is probably why this got posted in completely the wrong thread :facepalm:

You were still on point enough to riff the first line of Neuromancer. I'd have done Fear and Loathing in Epping Forest

We were somewhere around Walthamstow on the edge of the metropolis when the drugs began to take hold.

Still, at least you didn't write it in the kitchen sink.