Author Topic: Atlas Mountain Race.  (Read 9521 times)

Atlas Mountain Race.
« on: 15 February, 2020, 03:21:49 pm »
Started this morning.
https://amr2020.maprogress.com
Quite the field. Lots of top racers.

An interesting array of bike set ups
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2020-atlas-mountain-race-rigs/
often lost.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Atlas Mountain Race.
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2020, 04:49:04 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:43:04 pm »
Not a singlespeed in sight, at least from those who submitted their rig photos.

I'm not surprised 1x is proving more popular than 2x, seems to be the way things have moved in the recent past.

I've not found anywhere with commentary on the race so far. Be interesting to know how Christian Meier built his early lead. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Sofiane's strategy pans out on this race. Will he repeat what he did on Tour Divide and not sleep for the first 3 nights. James Hayden usually has a good whole race strategy, so I'm expecting he'll move up the order in time.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:55:27 pm »
Couple of people moving over from TT - Nick Clarke and Chris Hall.

Also Liam Yates, son of Sean.   Decent road racer trying a different discipline.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:32:49 am »
Very interesting at the front of the pack. Neck and neck between Christian Meier and Sofiane.

Although the mapview sometimes makes it look like there are big gaps between riders, after the first few riders the gaps between riders coming into CP1 was very small. Must be quite a sight to see the steady stream of riders on the road/track.

Nick Clarke followed James Hayden into CP1.

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
Really pleased to see Piko making good headway. He had a horrible off last year during TCR breaking his leg while in 5th place.  He can ride long on minimal sleep and is well placed to reel in any flagging riders. Im pretty sure he is racing TCR again in the Summer.

I can't recall any ex pros doing an ultra. Is Cristian Meyer the first?
often lost.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:43:22 pm »
James Hayden usually has a good whole race strategy, so I'm expecting he'll move up the order in time.
I saw a funny Instagram story of his from the start - he wasn't thrilled at the peloton-ing mob at the start....
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2020, 01:09:46 pm »
How big is that cassette? (And how heavy!) (50t apparently)

Still think it's a solution looking for a problem, but then I've destroyed more rear mechs than front...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2020, 01:20:47 pm »
Bear in mind there are savings made by not having a front derailleur and just one chainring though.

Wonder what they're using the left brifter for...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Davef

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:43:25 pm »
I was wondering about contrast of the deep section aero wheels and the flagon attached to the front fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:45:32 pm »
Left DT shifter - if it's good enough for Lance ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:49:51 pm »
Wonder what they're using the left brifter for...

It looks like eTap, so each lever moves the rear mech one-way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »
Christian had some sleep last night whilst Sofiane rode through the night, then rapidly caught him earlier today. They've been in close proximity through the day. I wonder how things will pan out tonight. They are on a plateau at a height of some 1500m.

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:39:08 pm »

Markus Stitz is on singlespeed: https://twitter.com/reizkultur/status/1228578479492472837
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:42:37 pm »

Markus Stitz is on singlespeed: https://twitter.com/reizkultur/status/1228578479492472837

Is it fixed as well?

Seriously impressive either way.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 16 February, 2020, 11:37:19 pm »
Christian had some sleep last night whilst Sofiane rode through the night, then rapidly caught him earlier today. They've been in close proximity through the day. I wonder how things will pan out tonight. They are on a plateau at a height of some 1500m.

A real case of the hare and the tortoise. Sofiane has ridden for 6 hours longer than Christian as of now. In fact he didn't stop yesterday at all, Jeepers. He is no slouch either, riding at 13.5 kph, about the same speed as James H.
Christian is riding 1.5 kph faster though. He has a very aggressive set up with ceramic accoutrement etc. I guess that gives you an edge even on goat tracks over rubble. Or maybe its the ex pro racer legs that can just turn the pedals faster on any surface.
On a longer ultra one would likely speculate that Christian would reel Sofiane in, but in ultra terms this one aint that long. So hmmmmm.
often lost.

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2020, 05:10:29 am »
On a longer ultra one would likely speculate that Christian would reel Sofiane in, but in ultra terms this one aint that long. So hmmmmm.

I would have said the opposite, with Sofiane having the edge on a longer ultra. Yes he’d need to start sleeping a bit, but his experience over the long haul would help.

All a bit moot, unfortunately. Christian was slowed by punctures yesterday, which might explain why he caught Sofiane early on then they were matched on pace through most of yesterday. But Christian has stopped overnight and is way behind, suffering saddle sores and the start of shermer’s neck.

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2020, 07:57:17 am »

Average number of chainrings: Only slightly above 1.

Average number of Brooks saddles: only slightly below 1

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:12:53 am »
I really want to turn up to one of these things with panniers. The junk strapped to forks is heading that way.

It’s not obvious how a lot of them are carrying sufficient water. Are they using Camelbaks or something?

(I like the CrankTank4 thing)

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:39:58 am »
I don't know about these guys but you don't always need to carry as much water as you sometimes do.  So a common technique is to use a rucksack with extra bottles on the odd time you need it. 

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:51:54 am »

It’s not obvious how a lot of them are carrying sufficient water. Are they using Camelbaks or something?

Frame-bag bladder i suspect.

« Reply #21 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:55:55 am »

I had a go on a mates 1x gravel bike, having all the weight on the back axle was noticable, in distribution terms - akin to riding with a rear pannier. Made the front feel light and washy, but I was only bollocking around in a car park, so never got near a trail.

Davef

« Reply #22 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:00:01 am »
I don't know about these guys but you don't always need to carry as much water as you sometimes do.  So a common technique is to use a rucksack with extra bottles on the odd time you need it.
Particularly where drinking water comes in a bottle rather than from a tap, an empty rucksack or some straps would seem like the way to go for extra capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:47:01 am »

I had a go on a mates 1x gravel bike, having all the weight on the back axle was noticable, in distribution terms - akin to riding with a rear pannier. Made the front feel light and washy, but I was only bollocking around in a car park, so never got near a trail.

I think the object is to distribute the weight across the bike with various frame bags and not put the heavy gear in the underset pack.
Having said that I just had a new bike built ostensibly for touring in my "golden years" but that can also be used for ultra racing while I still have the ability. To that end I specced a fork with bosses and intend to run a rando bag for most of the supplies on TCR this year. Cleaner and just less clunky than feedbags etc strapped all over the bars.  Im also debating putting a couple of bottle cages on the forks. I can't get away to pick up the bike for a few weeks but will play around with the weight distribution if the balance feels off.
 Related, Im curios if there is much of an aero penalty with small fork mounted cages on a bike thats chugging along at 25kph for most of the journey.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:03:22 pm »

Once again, a race is reminding us, in order to finish 1st, 1st you have to finish.

Looks like the fight for 2nd is interesting...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/