Author Topic: Mavic in trouble.  (Read 4394 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Mavic in trouble.
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:58:16 pm »
Does this mean that my Mavic Aksium rims with bladed spokes on Mavic Aksium cartridge hubs are worth 'Jack Shit' ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303441291786
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:09:49 pm »
Does this mean that my Mavic Aksium rims with bladed spokes on Mavic Aksium cartridge hubs are worth 'Jack Shit' ?

If Jack Shit is about £50, then yes.

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:58:16 am »

Put it this way, I think your £220 buy it now price is a bit optimistic, a new pair from Merlin is £135.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:02:07 am »
I have a pair in the shed that a mate brought around when the spokes all got loose. Flat spokes sitting across the direction of travel is likely to not be very aero. He’s been riding some others I built for the last year and I’ve not really had the heart to sort the mavics. Probably best used to support the fork when I’m on the turbo.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:44:01 am »
When I was managing an LBS (until November 2109) Mavic had been almost impossible to deal with for several years - either buying stuff or getting any technical answers . . . so reading between the lines it's not altogether a surprise.

Rob

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:17:17 am »

Put it this way, I think your £220 buy it now price is a bit optimistic, a new pair from Merlin is £135.

And these look to me like the old-style (pre-2016) narrow rims, for which I think the new price was around £150 RRP, and which were frequently available for around £100.

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:29:29 am »
When I was managing an LBS (until November 2109) Mavic had been almost impossible to deal with for several years - either buying stuff or getting any technical answers . . . so reading between the lines it's not altogether a surprise.

Rob

gentlemen, we appear to have a time traveller amongst us!  But seriously, Mavic's reputation amongst cyclists has always rested upon its rims.  In the current climate there is more money to be made in wheelsets, and making money with rims is difficult. Even so it hardly excuses them taking their eye off the ball both commercially and technically regarding their core products. Specific gripes include;

- revamping their rims and making them worse; for example re-engineering a training rim (using what is basically the same extrusion as before)  to be a few g lighter but with a braking surface that is so thin it wears out in half the mileage is a pretty dumb move.

- ditto; the new open pro UST is prone to cracking and (in rim brake form) is practically worn out when you buy it. Braking surfaces 1.05mm thickness...???? WTF?

- deleting rims randomly and/or failing to supply them.  I recently scoured the country for a pretty basic 32h A319 rim in silver; almost no-one had any stock or knew if it was a temporary or permanent state of affairs.

- making technical recommendations that are impractical. IIRC mavic currently specify spoke tensions not exceeding 90kg or something with their rims. It used to be 100kg which I thought was bad enough, but maybe the Open Pro UST problems forced their hand.  I have not measured the tension in Mavic's factory wheels accurately, but I'd be amazed if they stick to their own recommendations...

I still buy and use mavic rims but they are not as good as they could be and worse than that, they are oftentimes not as good as they used to be, either.

cheers

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:43:51 am »
I noticed the max spike tension when they launched the OP UST and wondered what they were at. I know of a builder who has used Kinlin 31t at 1450N with washers and found them to be robust. I like to stick to about 1,200N driveside, but it’s good to have some margin!

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:05:36 pm »

I have had all of this before - and no you cannot get exactly what is listed for £135.00.

FIRSTLY the rims are the shit cheap black ones with cheap Black QR's and the hubs are Shimano NOT MAVIC Cartridge hubs,there is no 10spd Miche cassette and also NO Vittoria Rubino tyres with tubes.

Get your facts straight before picking holes in something that you have not looked at/into properly.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »
I have a pair in the shed that a mate brought around when the spokes all got loose. Flat spokes sitting across the direction of travel is likely to not be very aero. He’s been riding some others I built for the last year and I’ve not really had the heart to sort the mavics. Probably best used to support the fork when I’m on the turbo.

Flat spokes not presenting 'Very Aero' is technical sales bullshit that can only be truly be measured in a wind-tunnel and make very little difference in the real world of Mr & Mrs cyclist or even the posers out on their insanely expensive hype machines whilst blocking the country lanes with their make believe Pelotons on a Sunday morning.

Any loss of speed ability by the not 'Very Aero' presented could be regain several fold by lightening ones pockets of small change.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »
Country lanes belong to cyclists. They're not "blocking a lane", that is gammon chat.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:14:41 pm »
This is a shame. Mavic used to produce reasonably-priced rims that were ok. I went through quite a few in the past. Open Pro were light and easy to build. The cheaper range of the rims were ok, not too heavy and ok brake surfaces.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2020, 02:12:44 pm »

I have had all of this before - and no you cannot get exactly what is listed for £135.00.

FIRSTLY the rims are the shit cheap black ones with cheap Black QR's and the hubs are Shimano NOT MAVIC Cartridge hubs,there is no 10spd Miche cassette and also NO Vittoria Rubino tyres with tubes.

Get your facts straight before picking holes in something that you have not looked at/into properly.

*To the bolded. No, you are mistaken. They have Mavic hubs.

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mavic+aksium+race+wheelset&_sacat=0&redirect=mobile&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

This is a list of same wheelset sold recently on Ebay, some with tyres. They sell for between £40, and (if you get super lucky) £120.

These wheels retailed 10 years ago for £145 new RRP.  Rubino tyres (shit) can be found for £12 new. Tubes £2 new.  Miche Cassette  £26 new. 

So all of this (if this particular wheelset was still on sale) could be found NEW for about £195.

And you want an extra £25 for second hand stuff  ;D

You owe igauk an apology pal.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2020, 02:37:22 pm »
I like rubino tyres, and the 23mm are usally on sale so a pair are usually less than £16.

Reading up, is there an issue because the venture capitalist have set in and ruined things.  Am a fan of the open pro rim and as mentioned they seem to have disappeared.

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »
Mavic hubs were (might still be) shockers. That awful design with the nylon bushing that needed maintenance every few hundred miles if you wanted to ward off the screech of death.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2020, 02:51:28 pm »
Mavic hasn’t really produced good engineering during this century. They’ve been living off their reputation for a long time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:03:45 pm »

But you're all overlooking the far more important question.

Who's going to operate the neutral service vehicles for that ride around France? and what colour will they be?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:22:12 pm »

But you're all overlooking the far more important question.

Who's going to operate the neutral service vehicles for that ride around France? and what colour will they be?

J

I’d be guessing Shimano, as they already do neutral service at a lot of races.

In reality, neutral service is a nightmare/ or irrelevant due to so many different standards, especially with disc brakes/ through axles etc. When you could just stick any rear wheel in it was more relevant. Mostly, complete bike changes are the norm once the hammer is down in the race.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:46:10 pm »
Neutral service started becoming irrelevant when multiple incompatible pedal systems became popular and that was a very long time ago. Incompatible gearing systems and now incompatible wheel standards are just further steps to complete irrelevance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:50:12 pm »
I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody riding a yellow Mavic bike in a race.

Besides, teams are far better resourced these days. They can afford their own support.

« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:04:15 pm »
I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody riding a yellow Mavic bike in a race.

Besides, teams are far better resourced these days. They can afford their own support.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/couldnt-really-pedal-fabio-aru-moment-use-neutral-service-bike-430523
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »
“It was working somewhat for me, but the saddle was way too high for me to really continue. I couldn’t really pedal!
Why couldn't he just drop the saddle? Or get the neutral mechanic to do it if it's not qr, which it presumably isn't.

Anyway, Mavic are going bust. Yes, it's said. But then again, I'd only heard bad-weird things about their latest incarnation of Open Pro (think they might have changed the name slightly?) and comments above saying they lost their edge a couple of decades ago. So they join a long list from Sun-Tour to Chater Lea, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nick H.

« Reply #24 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:50:51 pm »
Mavic's woes don't have an awful lot to do with the rim business. That's a tiny bit of the market compared to OEM wheels for new bikes. They were Mavic's bread and butter but there's more competition now. Lots of the big firms have made a big investment in their own wheel sub-brands.