Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813214 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #100 on: 06 April, 2008, 10:44:27 pm »
CTC ride today, in the most amazing weather - sun, clear blue skies, superb visibility, zero temperatures and lots of overnight snow, all mixed up with spring flowers and lush greenery. Arrived at the lunchtime pub in Ilmington (S Warks) to find the place full of Morris dancers, who decamped after lunch to dance around the village streets in the sun. Motor traffic just had to wait until the dancers moved on to the next part of the village.

Return trip was against a headwind & with a couple of brief snow showers, but still mostly sunny with a dramatic skyscape. Was very hot-and-cold.

Total 70 miles & I'm well & truly knackered - an excellent day ;D.

« Reply #101 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:45:47 pm »
How's the hip bearing up, Nick?

Mrs Mike's gone out so I managed a cold, dark 15 mile lap round the block. I thought it was all a bit harder than normal,  then when I got back I found the back wheel had slipped and was rubbing hard on the chainstay. Ho hum......

« Reply #102 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:58:19 pm »
How's the hip bearing up, Nick?
The bearing's fine thanks ;), but muscles & general fitness are taking more time to recover. 190 rpm has become a goal rather than a norm.

Mrs Mike's gone out so I managed a cold, dark 15 mile lap round the block. I thought it was all a bit harder than normal,  then when I got back I found the back wheel had slipped and was rubbing hard on the chainstay. Ho hum......

You need one of these for your track nuts. Unless you needed the extra exercise... :-X

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #103 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »
Been for a couple of short trundles on the tandem.  First round the corner to pick up Butterfly & swoop back home; then up to Wandsworth for the WCC meeting (and back, getting up a head of steam and overtaking solo cyclists with nonchalance  :thumbsup: )
Getting there...

steveB

« Reply #104 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:18:57 pm »
Went out this afternoon for a 15 mile pootle/loop.  Didn't enjoy it as there were too many people about.  The trouble living in a run down, decrepit shithole seaside town is that the place gets so crowded when the kids are off school.  Ban school holidays - it interferes with my quiet time! 

I might go out very early tomorrow.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #105 on: 09 April, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »
50 miles this morning! South Woodham, Bicknacre, The Hanningfields, Stock, Hockley, Westcliff, Saarfend sea front, and home!  8)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #106 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:51:56 pm »
36 miles this morning (I bet it was slower than Fatbloke's 50  :) ). Down to Whitstable and back on the new shopper. Lovely it was.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #107 on: 10 April, 2008, 05:11:14 pm »
Lovely pootle today. Picked up Lea navigation towpath at Hertford, through Ware and on to Dobbs Weir then retrace to home. 24 miles.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #108 on: 10 April, 2008, 05:16:23 pm »
Went for a pootle in the Peaks with my son.
58km, 869m climbing
Sheffield-Hathersage-Bradwell-Eyam-Grindleford-Home.

I love the White Peak. Wide open spaces, very little traffic and so much scenery and activity. Sheep and occasional wildlife. Paracenders off the ridge west of Eyam. Several gliders doing the rounds from the gliding club. Very few tourists at this time of year - bliss.

Cool (8 degrees) with a brisk westerly breeze. Partly cloudy.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #109 on: 12 April, 2008, 09:34:29 am »
A bright, brisk and breezy morning and 16.62 miles of rather pedestrian cycling on the Mercian. Averaged 13.5 mph on the way out, and that had dropped to 12.2 by the time I got home. My right had was so numb with cold when I got to the front door that I couldn't feel the keys in my pocket - even though I could hear them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #110 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
10km turn around town before breakfastt @ 18.64kmh avg but an uphill, top gear, wind assisted 43.40kmh max.. 

Maladict

« Reply #111 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:19:26 pm »
Went out to meet mike at Duxford and cycled a 60km hilly "loop" (random walk to take all the hills in) then back home - 97km in all.

« Reply #112 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:34:05 pm »
Does a turbo session count  ::-)

Hit a new max HR of 181 though on a 1min interval. Didn't know for sure the old ticker would go over 178....now I do  :o

Neil

Arthur

« Reply #113 on: 13 April, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »
After the near-perfect ride I had last week, the cosmic scales have set themselves well-and-truly back in balance today.

Ten minutes after leaving home I had a bit of a tickle in my throat. Tried coughing to clear it. Spent the rest of the ride, and the afternoon so far, coughing.

It seemed like I was having to put twice the normal effort in to maintain any sort of headway. Got off twice to check that that the wheel and bottom bracket bearings were moving freely. They were - I wasn't.

My front brake developed a loud grinding noise, even though the pads were clean and have plenty of wear left.

I'd left my glasses at home, so naturally I got some grit in my left eye.

It rained, and I wasn't in the frame of mid to think 'Oh well', and carry on with a smile.

I turned around and came home with a miserable 12 miles on the computer.

Bah  :( :(

Edit...it appears my initial assessment was wrong. I'm getting ready for work, and guess what the bloody weather has just started doing. >:(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #114 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:17:28 pm »
104.96 miles in 8h 33m 21s including the Witham 100k audax, which was my first ever sub 6-hour 100k. My riding time was only just over 5 hours. Chris S was excellent company on a very good day, and I only needed the waterproof for about 3 miles on the ride home.

I had a drive train incident in which suddenly my pedalling became very jerky. At first I thought I had managed the allegedly impossible and buggered the internal workings of the Rohloff, but then discovered that the bottom bracket had become very eccentric indeed as it was hanging out of the right hand side of the shell. I straightened it and tightened the nuts, but I have a feeling that the bearing is partially seized. Must investigate in the morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #115 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:19:39 pm »
Very impressive Wow. I hope you aren't too tired for crossword puzzles, you have been missed.  ;)

« Reply #116 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »
Wow, Wow! (Ouah! Wow in French)

I am still in PJs and badly jet-lagged...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Chris N

« Reply #117 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »
Two laps of the Follow the Dog singletrack at Cannock Chase, fixed.  Hard, hard work on 63" and knobblies, including a 44 mile round trip to get to the start on the road.  I'm as knackered now as I am after a 200km audax, and in only half the time. :thumbsup:

CathH

« Reply #118 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:39:28 pm »
10 miles in torrential rain, hail and thunder & lightning.  It was great.  I took refuge in a bus shelter whilst the worst of the fireworks went on.

« Reply #119 on: 13 April, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »
A landmark for me today.  I occasionally go out on a group run on Sunday mornings.  There used to be 2 groups (fast & slow) and I'd go with the slow.  Then the slow group gradually disappeared over the months so just the fast group left.  I tried 3 times to keep up but got dropped every time about 25 miles in, usually on hilly sections.

Today, after doing a few audaxes and starting power training in the gym 3 times a week, not only did I keep up but I was near the front for the whole 80km, didn't get out of breath on the hills and was involved in leading a 15k stretch doing 25mph average on the way home.  Average for the 80k was 17.8mph.

Completely exhilarating and so chuffed.  I can now confidently go out on group runs without feeling a twerp and getting left in the back-end of Essex without a clue as to where I am, and my solo 7-day LEJoG in May now seems far less daunting.

And it's largely thanks to the guys here and the "old" forum who introduced me to the concept of audaxing, and posting links to other sites dealing with power training.

So thanks all  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #120 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »
Today I had a pootle with my daughters, one on the tagalong, one independent, around the Attenborough nature reserve
Recovering from a ride around Nottingham yesterday.
I took a route out through Long Eaton-Kegworth-East  Leake-Costock-Wysall-Widmerpool-Cropwell Bishop-Langar-Scarrington-Gunthorpe Bridge-Lowdham-Oxton-Haywood Oaks-Blidworth-Ravenshead-Newstead Abbey-Annesley-Underwood-Eastwood-Ikea-Awsworth-Cossall-Trowell-Stapleford-Bramcote and home.
A great, if not lengthy way to get around Nottingham, it is a ride I had been planning for a while and links up a lot of areas that I have ridden at different times previously.
Out at 6.30, took me 6 hours all in, got home just before the rain.
Not too sure how far i went, probably about 70 miles or so, but no computer on my recently fixed Mercian.
Anyone fancy riding this one, or a variant of it in the summer?

« Reply #121 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:48:02 pm »

Yes please!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #122 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:52:17 pm »

I may come down for this if I can get transport sorted out. I want to go to Newstead Abbey. Not too fussed about IKEA though. Did you get free coffee and cake. The one hear offers it to those arriving by bike I think, though I haven't tried it yet.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #123 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:56:40 pm »

Today, after doing a few audaxes and starting power training in the gym 3 times a week, not only did I keep up but I was near the front for the whole 80km, didn't get out of breath on the hills and was involved in leading a 15k stretch doing 25mph average on the way home. Average for the 80k was 17.8mph.

Completely exhilarating and so chuffed.  I can now confidently go out on group runs without feeling a twerp and getting left in the back-end of Essex without a clue as to where I am, and my solo 7-day LEJoG in May now seems far less daunting.

And it's largely thanks to the guys here and the "old" forum who introduced me to the concept of audaxing, and posting links to other sites dealing with power training.

So thanks all  ;D

And there was me being pleased with myself for doing 3 laps of Richmond Park at an average of 18mph. Work for me to do yet

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #124 on: 13 April, 2008, 08:01:08 pm »
A landmark for me today.  I occasionally go out on a group run on Sunday mornings.  There used to be 2 groups (fast & slow) and I'd go with the slow.  Then the slow group gradually disappeared over the months so just the fast group left.  I tried 3 times to keep up but got dropped every time about 25 miles in, usually on hilly sections.

Today, after doing a few audaxes and starting power training in the gym 3 times a week, not only did I keep up but I was near the front for the whole 80km, didn't get out of breath on the hills and was involved in leading a 15k stretch doing 25mph average on the way home.  Average for the 80k was 17.8mph.

Completely exhilarating and so chuffed.  I can now confidently go out on group runs without feeling a twerp and getting left in the back-end of Essex without a clue as to where I am, and my solo 7-day LEJoG in May now seems far less daunting.

So thanks all  ;D

Well done toontra.

It makes a massive difference training with cyclists who are just that bit faster than you.

Good luck with LeJog.

H