Author Topic: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling  (Read 9321 times)

Nick H.

A most entertaining interview:  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/23/i-was-the-king-of-sabotage-ronnie-osullivan-on-controversy-comebacks-and-becoming-a-carer  This is just one of his gems:

“Running for me is the perfect thing ’cos they are just nice people. It’s not like cycling, where you’ve got to spend £10,000 on a bike. You get a lot of arseholes in that sport because they’ve got money and they think money is the all-important thing. I can’t stand people like that. You don’t get them type of people in the running world.”

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:07:19 am »
I agree with that quote entirely, I stopped being a member of my local club because there were aresholes like that who looked down their nose at you on a Tuesday night TT if you didn't have the latest soot bike, disc wheel, skinsuit and this years pointy hat. Not that they were anything special when it came to performance!

They carried on being arseholes on the Sunday club run as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Nick H.

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:28:25 am »
Fortunately cycling  is something you can enjoy on your own!

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:45:34 am »

Unlike snooker
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:22:19 am »
Having dipped a toe in both worlds over the last 30 years I would agree with the sentiment entirely.  The cycling world is fixated on the gear but in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.  Oddly, nobody really looks at the feet of other runners.

A certain sports kit manufacturer coined the slogan, "Just do it".  The cycling world equivalent seems to be "Just spunk it!".

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:25:59 am »
Unfortunately my observation is that he’s entirely correct.
It’s a constant theme in other parts of the internet, in places where ex-racing people gather. I don’t blame the advertising industry or bike manufacturers, but they have successfully ridden the wave. I observe a huge level of narcissism in the newer cohort of bike riders, making  fairly meaningless “ achievements “ public - Strava heroics and medals for finishing a sportive.
Around here there is a tendency for this group to either form their own “ collectives” or clubs, or to, by sheer force of numbers, change an existing club out of all recognition.
Their impact is greater than their actual numbers. Their etiquette on the road is poor, often aggressive, and their behaviour in cafes intimidating. There are a lot of very pleasant people coming into cycling of course, but they are less obvious and noticeable.

Fennec

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:39:47 am »
I observe a huge level of narcissism in the newer cohort of bike riders, making  fairly meaningless “ achievements “ public - Strava heroics and medals for finishing a sportive.

True, though there’s that tendency in running too. I left my running club because it got taken over by a very noisy group of attention seekers whose modest achievements were plastered over every social medium out there. In both sports, the really high achievers are often the quiet ones who just get on with it.

There are a lot of very pleasant people coming into cycling of course, but they are less obvious and noticeable.

Ain’t that always the way!

There’s a certain amount of truth in what O’Sullivan says, those people do exist, but it’s not representative of the whole sport.

And given his recent comments about his fellow snooker professionals, accusing other people of showing off and being arrogant arseholes really is the pot calling the kettle black.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:31:27 am »
I observe a huge level of narcissism in the newer cohort of bike riders, making  fairly meaningless “ achievements “ public - Strava heroics and medals for finishing a sportive.

True, though there’s that tendency in running too. I left my running club because it got taken over by a very noisy group of attention seekers whose modest achievements were plastered over every social medium out there. In both sports, the really high achievers are often the quiet ones who just get on with it.

There are a lot of very pleasant people coming into cycling of course, but they are less obvious and noticeable.

Ain’t that always the way!

There’s a certain amount of truth in what O’Sullivan says, those people do exist, but it’s not representative of the whole sport.

And given his recent comments about his fellow snooker professionals, accusing other people of showing off and being arrogant arseholes really is the pot calling the kettle black.
But only after he’s called the kettle red of course.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:54:00 am »

Unlike snooker

Me1 v Me2 snooker is a thing. The youtube version is new. It used to be audio podcast only.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:43:41 am »
Where is the cycling equivalent to Parkrun?

Many Parkruns are voluntarily organised and marshalled by members of local running clubs too which sort of dispels the criticism somewhat which is aimed at running clubs.  Also, I can  all upon a number of guide runners if I need one but tandem pilots are significantly thinner on the ground.

And, you don't get the mamil factor in running.  No bad thing.

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:18:50 pm »
Don't mamil runners just get into triathlon?  :demon:

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:27:05 pm »

CTC-organised local riding groups?

The cycling world is fixated on the gear but in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.

But n+1 is much less space consuming. And you can declare shoes as "worn out" much sooner.

Also, the world of long distance trail running offers countless ways to spunk money on equipment - high tech waterproofs, backpacks, running belts, water bladders, etc...

Fennec

« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2020, 12:46:50 pm »

Many Parkruns are voluntarily organised and marshalled by members of local running clubs too which sort of dispels the criticism somewhat which is aimed at running clubs.  Also, I can  all upon a number of guide runners if I need one but tandem pilots are significantly thinner on the ground.

And, you don't get the mamil factor in running.  No bad thing.

A direct cycling equivalent to parkrun would be lovely, but it would be very difficult to come up with a format which allowed a large group of people of all ages and with very mixed abilities to compete safely on the same route together at the same time. The fact that a close equivalent to parkrun doesn't exist in cycling reflects on the differences between the sports, not any selfishness on the part of cyclists - there are plenty of cycling volunteers organising Audaxes, CTC rides, Breeze rides, charity sportives etc.

Likewise with tandem pilots. Quite honestly, I'd love to do it. But I'm a small bloke, I'm not experienced piloting a tandem and I really wouldn't ever be happy to be entirely responsible for someone else's safety when the consequences of getting it wrong could be very serious indeed. Again, it's not that cyclists are in general more selfish, it's just that the sports are very different and aren't always directly comparable.

Also, my point wasn't that running clubs are all bad, necessarily, just that they have their fair share of narcissistic attention-seeking idiots! There are of course plenty of very hard-working, kind, unassuming runners too.

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:06:55 pm »
I think the problem is that a sizable minority of the entire world's population are arseholes. They unfortunately get everywhere and no matter what you do, or where you go, the arseholes will be there...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.
Most cyclists I know, are more likely to tell me where they've been, who with, what they saw... then maybe the distance, though sometimes I'll ask for that if it sounds like a ride I might do.
As for arseholes, we've all got one.

« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2020, 05:20:37 pm »
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.
Most cyclists I know, are more likely to tell me where they've been, who with, what they saw... then maybe the distance, though sometimes I'll ask for that if it sounds like a ride I might do.

Cycling doesn't have weekly gatherings of cyclists of al ages and abilities who can take as long as they need to get around and not have to pay a membership fee for the pleasure.    As for the timing:  the vast majority of runners I know use their time purely as a guide for themselves as to their state of fitness.

I once did an audax.  I got in with about five minutes remaining.  Everybody except two organisers had long gone and the organisers were surprised when we turned up.  At Parkrun the Marshall and organisers stay for the last person home and then some of them come for a coffee with many of the participants afterwards who have also stayed and usually cheer the tail home.

Cycling could do with something on the same lines to raise it's popularity with the wider public.

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2020, 05:37:37 pm »
I think the problem is that a sizable minority of the entire world's population are arseholes. They unfortunately get everywhere and no matter what you do, or where you go, the arseholes will be there...

This for the win!

« Reply #17 on: 24 August, 2020, 05:38:32 pm »

Cycling doesn't have weekly gatherings of cyclists of al ages and abilities who can take as long as they need to get around and not have to pay a membership fee for the pleasure.    As for the timing:  the vast majority of runners I know use their time purely as a guide for themselves as to their state of fitness.

I once did an audax.  I got in with about five minutes remaining.  Everybody except two organisers had long gone and the organisers were surprised when we turned up.  At Parkrun the Marshall and organisers stay for the last person home and then some of them come for a coffee with many of the participants afterwards who have also stayed and usually cheer the tail home.

Cycling could do with something on the same lines to raise it's popularity with the wider public.

To be fair, Mike, how long does it take for the field to complete a Park Run?  Aren't they c. 5 miles or less?  I don't know how long your audax was but I should think the organisers will have been hanging around for a lot longer than those at the running event.  And they did wait!  And it's a sample of 1, I think?

Me?  I just wish my legs would still let me run!

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 24 August, 2020, 05:53:11 pm »
Park Run is 5km.

The slowest runners might take more than half an hour!

« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2020, 05:55:44 pm »
Cheers, Simon - I could still walk that!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:07:31 pm »
Park Run is 5km.

The slowest runners might take more than half an hour!

I've volunteered at Parkrun when the final participant has taken over an hour. They usually get cheered in with gusto - the aim of Parkrun is to be inclusive.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:17:21 pm »
I think bobb has it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #22 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:18:14 pm »

You called ;)

You should see the arseholes in motorbike where you have to have the fastest latest bike.  How dare you have fun on something old and battered.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:22:51 pm »
I think bobb has it.

Sort of disagree.  Cycling is seen trendy and having to have lycra or lastest lighest aero setup or have the latest lightest thing.  But that could be a london bubble.

« Reply #24 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:27:33 pm »

To be fair, Mike, how long does it take for the field to complete a Park Run?  Aren't they c. 5 miles or less?  I don't know how long your audax was but I should think the organisers will have been hanging around for a lot longer than those at the running event.  And they did wait!  And it's a sample of 1, I think?

Me?  I just wish my legs would still let me run!

Well actually, it was a mere 100km and the organisers didn't wait as such.  They had packed up and were just leaving as we arrived.  They didn't expect us nor anybody else and had to dig out their paperwork just to register us home.  They were not happy bunnies either.

As Jaded says, Parkrun is inclusive because that was key to the project.  Cycling doesn't have that feel about it at any level.   There are plenty of groups of mates in cycling but nothing beyond this.