Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105059 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #575 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:11:56 pm »
Waiting for the brevet cards to arrive from France and then it should be a go.

Any further update please?

Still not seen anything.  France does seem to have its own time zone (measured in months).  I still haven't got my medal for the York Arrow last year.   Sorry.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #576 on: 25 January, 2018, 07:44:18 pm »
Still not seen anything.  France does seem to have its own time zone (measured in months).  I still haven't got my medal for the York Arrow last year.   Sorry.

No problem.

Are you riding it before March???   Chapeau!

Just planning for later in the year.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #577 on: 30 March, 2018, 11:26:40 am »
The Cambrian Super Randonnee is now live and available for entries on the AUK website. 

There are two versions - the Randonnee, which has a 60 hour time limit and the Tourist, which allows you to ride at 75km per day.  We have to follow ACP rules on these events, so the start and finish is in Knighton and you have to ride the route in the specified direction (unlike other Cambrian permanents where you can start at any control and ride clockwise or counterclockwise).   

There are special frame badges and brevet cards too, and you have to get photographic proof of passage with your machine and you (optional) at various sites - so you get a little book of instructions.  There is also a GPX track from OpenRunner.

It's rated at 10730m ascent.  This is a conservative estimate.  Most GPS systems will read about 12,000m ascent.  And not many of the descents are easy.  The route is basically the legendary Cambrian 4C with the flat bit between Bala and Llangollen taken out and 200km of constant hills around North Wales including Llanberis Pass taken both ways add in.  If you are able to finish in 40 hours you qualify for 6 points.  You'll get 10.75AAA for it and they'll be well earned.  I suspect most riders will look to have one (or if they are quick two) nights in B&Bs and use the opportunity that 60 hours affords for a morning start such as 8am on day 1 so that you can finish by 8pm on day 3.

Enjoy.  Am already plotting how to get Mrs CET's permission to have a go myself.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #578 on: 30 March, 2018, 10:49:06 pm »
The Cambrian Super Randonnee is now live and available for entries on the AUK website. 

There are two versions - the Randonnee, which has a 60 hour time limit and the Tourist, which allows you to ride at 75km per day. 

note that 60 hours is 3 full days and 2 nights

so, can you ride 200km with 4000m climbing in 12 hours, 3 days in a row. seems achievable

Looking at the route I see a town with accommodation at 200km and another at 415km. 415km is also conveniently 300km so you could check in and deposit stuff before continuing

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #579 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »

There are two versions - the Randonnee, which has a 60 hour time limit and the Tourist, which allows you to ride at 75km per day. 

so, can you ride 200km with 4000m climbing in 12 hours, 3 days in a row. seems achievable

Looking at the route I see a town with accommodation at 200km and another at 415km. 415km is also conveniently 300km so you could check in and deposit stuff before continuing

Is there a gpx or a route sheet available? I am always on the lookout for an interesting ride.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #580 on: 02 April, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »
The track is on www.openrunnner.com, search for Cambrian 6C.  Openrunner has a habit of reading about 10% lower than you would expect from a GPS track.  The contour count is about 11200m

« Reply #581 on: 02 April, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »
I think you meant https://www.openrunner.com/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #582 on: 03 April, 2018, 01:08:39 am »

Is there a gpx or a route sheet available? I am always on the lookout for an interesting ride.

BB
I think you can download a gpx from here  https://www.openrunner.com/  enter "cambrian 6c" in the search box

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #583 on: 03 April, 2018, 07:04:27 pm »
Re the Cambrian 6c, if you enter the Randonnee, you get 6 points and 10.75 AAA points if you complete within 40 hours.

If you are slower but still complete it within 60 hours, you don't get the 6 points but do you still get the 10.75 AAA points?

I'm looking at giving this a tilt before the end of August.

« Reply #584 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:30:28 pm »
Re the Cambrian 6c, if you enter the Randonnee, you get 6 points and 10.75 AAA points if you complete within 40 hours.

If you are slower but still complete it within 60 hours, you don't get the 6 points but do you still get the 10.75 AAA points?

That appears to be the case but coincidentally I've just earlier today asked the Perms Sec for confirmation on the points situation for these rides.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #585 on: 06 April, 2018, 06:47:26 pm »

That appears to be the case but coincidentally I've just earlier today asked the Perms Sec for confirmation on the points situation for these rides.

I've been in touch with the permsec.   I've received updated advice about the rides, and the SRs will stand on their own, not qualifying as for AUK points or AAA points, only for the Super Randonee certificate. 

However, there will be a BR version of the Cambrian 6C, with a 40 hour time limit, which will be worth 6 points and 10.75 AAA, for anyone bold enough to try to tackle it.  For the avoidance of doubt, the BR version will not qualify for the SR and will have conventional AUK rules around proof of passage and a standard Cambrian Series Permanent AUK Brevet Card.

Apologies for any confusion caused.  I'm much better at riding a bike and designing routes than I am about technicalities of rules.  Always been a substance over form person...

« Reply #586 on: 06 April, 2018, 07:36:19 pm »
Thank you for the confirmation. Makes sense.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #587 on: 17 April, 2018, 01:50:08 pm »
Cambrian 6C is now on the website.  So there are three options for riding the route:

As an AUK BR permanent - 600km in 40 hours (good luck) - the Cambrian 6C

As a Super Randonnee under ACP rules - 600km in 60 hours  - Cambrian Super RandonnĂ©e - Randonneur (600)

As a Super Randonnee Tourist Event - 600km in 8 days - Cambrian Super Randonnée - Tourist (600)

They are all distinct events, so you can only do one at a time, you can't have one ride counting for two awards.

« Reply #588 on: 19 April, 2018, 11:34:22 am »
I have (somewhat rashly!) entered the Cambrian 6A and plan to ride from Monmouth on 3rd May. I don't suppose anyone would fancy riding with me?

« Reply #589 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:15:33 am »
I had to postpone this ride because of reasons. Now all set to go early doors Monday 14th May. Company for any/all of the ride welcome.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #590 on: 19 May, 2018, 03:16:26 am »
It would seem that the Cambrian Series rides are something of a Jinx for me. 2 failed attempts at 4B last year (one due to nav issues and one due to weather/LMF) and now a failed 6A. Had a great, sustainable plan which built in an 8 hour sleep stop just over half way and everything.

Set off from Monmouth at 4am on Monday with a slightly sore throat (which I put down to being slightly dehydrated after a night in a warm hotel room) and scratched after only 50 miles feeling seriously rough. Had to wait 4 hours for a train from Builth Wells, which I spent mostly asleep on the platform, then a four hour train ride back to Abergavenny and a final 25km ride back to Monmouth. (Easily the worst I've ever felt on a bike.) Early doctor's visit on Tuesday saw me diagnosed with Bacterial Tonsillitis and a 10 day course of antibiotics. Worst throat pain I've ever endured, but mending now.

I can at least take some encouragement from this debacle. Even though I only managed 80km, this did include one of the big climbs (Gospel Pass), I wasn't too far away from 1st control at Rhayader and was comfortably inside my planned schedule, even suffering with illness. I know this was early doors in a big ride, but I'm confident that, feeling normal, I'll have a very workable plan when I next have a stab at this. I have one possible window in mid-june, but failing that it looks like a late season attempt in early October. I really WANT this one in the bag!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #591 on: 25 May, 2018, 05:23:02 am »
Recorded climbing figures from the first completed Cambrian 6C ride. 

Garmin 11995m
Strava 11836m
AUK calculation 11751m

I think I'd go for the Super Randonnee version and allow 60 hours.

« Reply #592 on: 29 May, 2018, 07:15:06 am »
That 11,995 felt like 12,000 and I'm not going back for the last 5m.

The climbing is a steady 1,000m per 50km. Even on my last day I still climbed nearly 2,000m in the last 100km.

I did it though, ask me anything!

« Reply #593 on: 29 May, 2018, 09:47:56 am »

The climbing is a steady 1,000m per 50km. Even on my last day I still climbed nearly 2,000m in the last 100km.

Chapeau! Did you ride this as the 40 hour perm version?

« Reply #594 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:27:56 am »
No! I needed every one of the 60 hours. You'd have to be superhuman to do it in 40.

If anyone knows the Lincolnshire Wolds, it's the same kind of terrain. Lots of steep-sided river valleys but on crappy farm roads with gravel and bonus sheep. I discovered that the Welsh don't do hairpins on ascents, you're going straight up that hill even if it is north of 20%. Once you see grit boxes you're in trouble.

I rode it over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend, great weather and no headwind. I did encounter Audaxers doing the Brevet Cymru in Tregaron.

I rode it solo with ca. 10kg in panniers because I travelled from Ireland. 34x32 wasn't a low enough gear for the hills.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #595 on: 29 May, 2018, 11:04:29 am »
Very tempted by this, but probably not this year... too much on the table already.
Definitively won't do it with 10 kg panniers...  ;D

« Reply #596 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:10:28 pm »
Mr CET - is there an up to date list of as yet uncompleted Cambrian Series rides?

I did the excellent 2H on Saturday.  Quite lumpy in my opinion, the route I took had me go completely off the A roads from Knighton back to Llanidloes - taking the lane rather than the B4356 added some fantastic views and some extra elevation.  Also the Sennybridge ranges earlier on were another high (!) point.  Another excellent Cambrian Series outing.

Route here https://ridewithgps.com/trips/24471063

I keep looking at 6C and wondering...  BR or SR...  Having just done the TINAT 400BR I quite fancy it.  Just got to get the relevant permissions...   ;)

« Reply #597 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »

Have you got a gpx or ridewithgps of your route that you wouldn't mind sharing please?

« Reply #598 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:37:13 pm »
Finished the 6C

Was a very comfortable and wonderful ride all the way around - nice to do something a little different.

I had rain for all of day 1 and 2 - so the lightweight rain jacket never came off, I didn't mind as the wind was generally helpful - Day 3 the Sun was out in force - Wales looked so good.

I was able to get 8-9 hours in a hotel each night - and the winds were kind except whenever heading West, when they were very brutal indeed.

Snowdonia was horrible, after all the Sun of the Brian Chapman, the conditions there were brutal head winds and heavy rain - even the walkers were taking shelter - and the Garmin went into melt down - I was shaking like hell By the time I got to the bottom. - Thank goodness I had DI2 as I could not have applied pressure to the levers :)

The last climb before Bala was fun - Bwlch y Grioes - been up it before so knew what was coming, but with 250k in my legs and it has a few 22% sections it was very tough - and it goes on for ever - but I had a no get off policy for all 3 days - so that helped keep me metally strong.

The first climb out of Llanbollen was also brutal steep (20%+) in places and the desent was a total nightmare, full on the brakes all the way down a dreadful gravel, narrow, potholed track.

The flat road from Caersws to Llanidloes had tons of cars speeding pass - its very, very busy and risky - as most of the route is traffic free or low traffic so  it was a shock.

It does have its fair share of poor quality lanes on this route so some care is needed.

Highly recommend ride.

Thanks Colin for getting this up and running.

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #599 on: 22 June, 2018, 04:51:44 am »
Well done! What gearing did you use?