Linked Events

• SEG 75: 21 February, 2010
  • CTC SEG 75 Mile Reliability Ri: 20 February, 2011

Author Topic: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)  (Read 28871 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: SEG 75 - Sunday 15th February (Essex)
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2009, 05:54:22 pm »
This time I'm going to blast it and have one large pub stop at the end of the ride!

I agree! If I do it there will definitely be a pub stop at the end of the ride!  And one in the middle.

But it's a Sunday, so I'll be working.  :(

I'll have the route and have no problem with doing things twice. If you fancy another go at it when the weather improves, with pubbes... (Easter hols?)
:thumbsup: :D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #26 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »
Weather looks promising but queues expected at Pleshey as I'm on my own, unless another marshal can be drafted in at short notice.
(if you turn up and think the queue is too long to wait just sign your sheet del  ;))</cough>  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »
Weather looks promising but queues expected at Pleshey as I'm on my own, unless another marshal can be drafted in at short notice.
(if you turn up and think the queue is too long to wait just sign your sheet del  ;))</cough>  ::-)

Will you have any beer?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »
When the pub opens at noon I'll have beer. Which is handy as Pleshey control closes at noon.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »
Right-O, I'm all set. I'll be riding this with the Chelmer CC, but I certainly hope to see some YACFers out and about. Wow - you still on for a beer after the ride?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:29:24 pm »
Right-O, I'm all set. I'll be riding this with the Chelmer CC, but I certainly hope to see some YACFers out and about. Wow - you still on for a beer after the ride?

Indeed!

It was pretty icy out today, especially this morning, and Annie and I rode some of the roads we'll use tomorrow. I think I'll take the Thorn as its 1.5" tyres should provide better traction than the sylphs which grace the wheels of the Mercian. That might make me a bit slower, though. I'm up for the 8.30 start.

« Reply #31 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:46:30 pm »
I went out for just an hour this afternoon and the roads were fairly dry. The biggest problem seems to be that the recent freeze has turned the road surface to shit - loads of holes about and gravel strewn corners.

We'll be leaving from Chelmsford at 8:00, if I don't see you guys on the road, I'll hopefully find you in the cafe at Lake Meadows after the ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »
That was hard work. I struggled on the uphill sections where normaly that's one of my strong points. I fell back from the main group after the halfway point but managed to keep a pretty good pace on the flatter bits. I got round in 5 hours including stops. Average speed for the day: 17mph, total mileage: 96.
Was good to meet up with Wowbagger at the end of the day and quaff a couple of IPA at a nearby pub. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:40:08 pm »
That was a pleasant day.

I don't do enough riding on my own. I love riding with other people and it's the social aspect of cycling I like the best, but the past two Sundays have involved, between them, about 100 miles of solo riding and I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.

CTC organised rides seem to attract an awful lot of cyclists who don't fit the traditional CTC mould. I know nothing about racing, but I wonder whether people of a racing persuasion use the South-East Essex Group's 75 mile ride as a training run. Good luck to them if they do, no problem at all, and it it does mean that the different disciplines get to rub shoulders with one another whereas most of the time they wouldn't. I've not noticed clubs treating audax rides in the same way, which is perhaps surprising.

Of course I was one of the slowest today, but without me putting in any extra effort my traditional position as the lanterne rouge of any ride is coming increasingly under threat. Today, my target was to complete the 75-mile ride in under 7 hours, which makes it a bit tougher than a typical 100k. I'm pretty sure I was at the back for most of the first half, although of course riders who had opted for a 6- or 5-hour ride started later than I did and, if they were part of a club, came thundering through leaving me in their wake. Tokamak was one such, with the Chelmer Cycling Club whose peloton must have been the biggest of the day. We greeted one another briefly just before Pleshey and then they were gone.

Del was on checkpoint duty outside the Leather Bottle, but sadly it wasn't open because it was only five past ten. Not long after I was on roads around Felsted, where Annie and I rode yesterday, and it was a completely different proposition. All the ice had gone, there was little sign of the sun and if there were any anti-social gits out driving their cars thankfully they avoided me.

I had taken a couple of marmite sandwiches with me which I consumed in the Great Bardfield Town Hall, along with a Snickers bar and an unripe banana (ugh!) and then off I went again. Along this stretch I started to overtake riders, mostly victims of faerie bites, although there a couple of young lads from our local group had overtaken me several times, on at least one occasion because they had misread the route sheet. Later, one of them was suffering a bit of knee trouble. There was a headwind now, as this stretch of the ride took us south-west, and it was quite hard work.

The great thing from my point of view was that I was familiar with every road. I had the Garmin set up but hardly had to look at the route sheet all day. This is a very cleverly designed ride because the whole lot fits onto just one OS map - Landranger 167. I spent a few minutes looking at the map on the train this morning, but had no need for it for the rest of the ride.

The ride was generally uneventful. Early on, I saw a kestrel with a victim in its talons, a mouse, I think, and the poor creature was still alive. I could see it moving its head from side to side, its body caught in a vice-like grip. Much later on, as I stopped to relieve myself in some woodland on the outskirts of Margaretting, I disturbed a hare, which presumably was in the final two weeks of madness rehearsals.

I arrived back at Lake Meadows after about 6 hours and 55 minutes riding, and there were at least eight people who finished after I did. Tokamak, who had finished some 80 minutes ahead of me, was still drinking coffee. He and I adjourned to the Railway Hotel where the IPA wasn't up to much (IPA rarely is in my experience).

Quote of the day: "Cor, we can tell you're on the CTC ride, riding a bike like that!" It was the Mercian.

« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »
TOKaMaK was in a group of about 28 when he passed by the Leather Bottle. Easily the largest group of the day. As far as punctures go one guy had a visit between the gate and sign on. Two others, about two miles before the LB, must have shared a nail. I don't know of any others.
My checkpoint was supposedly open 10 - 12 and I was to be alone. I turned up 0940ish and two others were already there. Dennis, who only decided he was fit for duty this morning, and Chris, who did the route sheet, gps files, and maps for the ride. They'd been signing cards since 0930. We'd been told that 95 was the number of riders and Wow came in at about 85 and TOKaMaK 30ish. The checkpoint closed an hour early as there were no more riders after the shared nail victims had gone through.
My return was notable for the copious and sticky mud, that still adorns my galaxy, picked up from this piece of track, Clicky. And a kestrel perched on overhead cables, Lower Road, Hockley.

« Reply #35 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:35:37 am »
I wonder whether people of a racing persuasion use the South-East Essex Group's 75 mile ride as a training run.

Chelmer would be out on a Sunday morning for their weekly training ride of a similar distance, so the SEG 75 fits the bill. I think also the fact there are other local clubs on the road at the same time, following the same route adds to the sense of competition! On a normal training ride people don't get left behind (unless they're really taking the piss :demon:) but yesterday, if you couldn't stay on the front with the rest of the team (i.e. me) you were on your own!

« Reply #36 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:33:54 am »
You? Getting dropped? What's the matter with you boy?!!

I couldn't make it unfortunately and seeing as the weather hasn't been great, I wasn't that arsed  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: SEG 75 - Sunday 21st February (Essex)
« Reply #37 on: 01 February, 2010, 10:31:39 am »
It's that time of year again! For those who are not familiar with this outing - it's a CTC organised 'reliability ride', starting and finishing in Billericay, Essex. It usually attracts a large number of cyclists, and is a very pleasant tour of the Essex countryside. You can enter on the day, although obviously it saves time to post your entry in advance.

Details here: South East Group (SEG) 75 reliability ride 2010

And here: South East Group of Cyclists Touring Club - Essex District Association

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #38 on: 01 February, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »
I'm considering this.

My problem with rides like this is that there's no respite. If I want to finish in the time, I have to ride pretty much non-stop - and with my current fatness levels, even that may not be enough to get me round in time.

It is indeed a lovely route - but is probably a lot more enjoyable with a decent pub stop somewhere.

The past two years I've got back with about 5 minutes to spare.

The start and finish are very adjacent to Billericay Station.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2010, 06:12:59 am »
I've answered Stefan's call to arms and will be marshalling at the Fox & Goose.

« Reply #40 on: 19 February, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »
I'll be out with the Chelmer again, and if last year is anything to go by it will be a balls-out team effort, only stopping at Bardfield for refuelling. Hope to see you out and about, Wow...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:20:48 am »
I've just had a call from the organiser - the ride's off. Minor roads in central Essex are skating rinks, apparently. Dez tells me it was like that in Saarfend at about midnight last night when he took the dog out, but I think it's much warmer less cold now.

So here I am all dressed up and with nowhere to go. And I cleaned my bike. I reckon in an hour the roads will be clear. The sun's shining now as well.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #42 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:08:58 am »
I've just had a call from the organiser - the ride's off. Minor roads in central Essex are skating rinks, apparently. Dez tells me it was like that in Saarfend at about midnight last night when he took the dog out, but I think it's much warmer less cold now.

So here I am all dressed up and with nowhere to go. And I cleaned my bike. I reckon in an hour the roads will be clear. The sun's shining now as well.
I had cause to cross from the North side of Tickfield Avenue to the South side at about 00:30 this morning. The wife and I had to hold on to each other for fear of slipping over.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »
Six of us rode to Billericay from Chelmsford this morning on the main road - which was OK. But at the Lake Meadows cafe everyone had stories of ice, slush and coming off their bike before even starting in earnest. Some of the Chelmer group decided to try main roads towards Brentwood and Ongar with the intention of picking up the planned route later in the day, but even these main roads were slippery, and with traffic about, we decided it was safer to abandon the ride. Riding back to Chelmsford it started to rain pretty heavily, which might have actually improved conditions slightly, but by this point we were all resigned to just getting home, and dry! Still, I got 28 miles in, and might use the turbo trainer this afternoon... possibly...  ;)

« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »
Chatting to Stefan just before heading home - he reckoned one guy on a trike was still attempting to get round the course. ::-)

Re: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)
« Reply #45 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
75 mile reliability ride, start and finish at Billericay, Lake Meadows.

South East Group of Cyclists Touring Club - Essex District Association

Anyone up for it? I'll be riding out with the Chelmer, as before.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:44:07 am »
This is an excellent ride. I'm not sure I'll do it this year because I'd not make the time. However, it's a very good route entirely covered by the OS Landranger 167 (Chelmsford). Some months ago Auntie Helen, Sergeant Pluck and I did it as a day ride and had a pub lunch in Great Bardfield.

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator shows.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 07 February, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »
I'll be riding, unless its icy like last year! Though I've got marathon winters on the mtb now, I'd not be fast enough! I did once get round in under 5 hours :thumbsup:, not that long ago, but February is too early [and I'm too old] for heroics!
The Co-op in Bardfield is a good alternative to the long queues for tea and bananas at the town hall, btw. Or bulging back pockets.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #48 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:23:44 am »
I have a plan. Thanks for the tip off Mak.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #49 on: 08 February, 2011, 06:30:16 am »
I have done my usual thing of deciding to do something then looking at the detail. Question:

I have never done a reliability ride. I see there are a variety of start times, do you have to finish by a particular time?