Author Topic: A late late post Christmas night time Ride to Bognor  (Read 17608 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
A late late post Christmas night time Ride to Bognor
« on: 05 November, 2009, 07:25:49 pm »
Following on from Tim's comments here as there aren't any official FNRttC rides in December or January, bearing in mind we can have some nice weather at that time, anyone up for an illicit night time dash to the coast at some point?

Obviously this is NOT a FNRttC and would be subject to no severe weather, so could be pulled at short notice.  Anyone got any favoured dates/destinations?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Definitely not a FNRttC sometime in Dec/Jan?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »
Registering an interest
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:17:57 pm »
I'm fairly flexible with dates, other than the period between Christmas and New Year (and a few days either side), when I'll be in the deepest South-West.

Logically, keeping to the four weeks of the FNRttC proper it would be December 25th, and January 22nd, but that would then have February 19th as the first proper FNRttC of 2010, and Simon actually has the first one on the 26th, a week later.

Since I don't expect there will be a mass of interest in spending Christmas night cycling (and the almost certain lack of return trains on Christmas Day !), I don't think the 25th is a starter.  How about a week before Friday 18th.

That would leave five weeks until January 22nd, and then five weeks until the real FNRttC season start, which seems like a nice spacing.

For simplicity and ease of route I'd say Brighton.  On the other hand, both the November and February official ones are also Brighton, so maybe we could do one to Southend and the other Whitstable.

I'm not sure I want to start investigating new routes, especially since I think we have some fairly consistent routes to those three main destinations.

I'm not really sure which is the best route if the weather is a bit indeterminate (ie which is least prone to ice).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:55:35 pm »
Friday 18th December sounds good.  

Last year at that time, I did a (daytime) ride to Whitstable with several FNrttC'ers in shorts, and bearing in mind it's been several decades since we last had a white Christmas, I reckon it's fairly likely not to be too cold.

Edit - of course we could be really radical and get the train out there and cycle back.  I notice that at 22.25 you can get the HS1 from St Pancras to Faversham arriving 23.33 and then change for the slow train to Whitstable arriving 23.51.  Or one of the slow trains from Victoria.   Cycling back to London might make it easier to find somewhere to eat at the end.  No half way stop though, which there is on the Southend route (and possibly Brighton).
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
Funnily enough, as I sat on a train yesterday my mind drifted gently through the idea of train out/bike back excursions.  What occurred to me was that the Leggian transitions would have reverse polarity and might lead to a sense of disappointment and loss of freedom on arriving in London, as opposed to the liberating feeling of arriving at the sea.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:58:22 am »
Funnily enough, as I sat on a train yesterday my mind drifted gently through the idea of train out/bike back excursions.  What occurred to me was that the Leggian transitions would have reverse polarity and might lead to a sense of disappointment and loss of freedom on arriving in London, as opposed to the liberating feeling of arriving at the sea.
Riding INTO London does work:
16th October: FNRttS (Oxford to London night ride) final edition for 2009 and others

You're right about the lack of a 'liberating feeling'. But for me that was compensated by the presence of a nice easy homeward journey (without having to ride another 50 miles).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2009, 05:01:25 pm »
I live by the sea so ending up in London would be a whole new concept for me.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2009, 09:36:12 am »
Coming back into London does have the advantage of letting you see a familiar route from a different angle.  Fast descents become slow climbs, etc etc.

Of course, another variation would be to get an earlier train, have a pint or 2, and then set off back to London.  That should make the miles zoom by.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2009, 01:02:58 pm »
I'd be interested...but like the idea of ending up at the sea rather than vice versa.

How about Maldon and then a short ride back to Chelmsford Station for return journey??

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2009, 03:26:12 pm »
How about Maldon and then a short ride back to Chelmsford Station for return journey??

It's novel idea, but from the FNRttC we already have well tested routes to Brighton, Southend, and Whitstable.  If the weather is less than clement, and the possibility of being a bit dopey for novel route finding in the middle of the night,  I'm all for sticking to routes that we are familiar with.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
I'd agree with that Tim.

It would make sense not to go to Brighton, so that leaves Whitstable, Southend or possibly even Bognor.  I quite like the idea of a reverse ride, just to be different.

Southend has the advantage of J31 for a halfway break but of course the overall route isn't so nice.  Mind you, with a small group it's not essential for a stop anyway.

Anyone else got any thoughts/preferences?

« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2009, 04:12:33 pm »
Personally I prefer a route to the coast, since then I can get whatever train back I want, there's no rush, I can take as long or as short time to eat breakfast (assuming we can find somewhere!)

If we need to take the train out (which I will, for others it may vary), then I have to plan on getting a specific train, and this could be a nuisance for people having to wait around in the cold, if they are arriving from different places on different trains etc (Although this would also be true for people coming into London from elsewhere).

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2009, 04:50:16 pm »
True.  If we get a train out, that would restrict the numbers, as you could probably get 4-5 bikes max in the bike area next to the toilets, 2 in the door way next to that, and then anyone else would be in the next doorway down.

For arriving at the coast and a suitable café, Southend is quite likely to have something open and in Bognor, the station café  was definitely open by 8 if not before, and they do a good range of cooked breakfasts, and I remember seeing another café open in the main shopping precinct at that time as well.  In Whitstable, I don't think the Waterfront normally does food in the morning, so that destination could be a problem.

« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2009, 12:35:06 pm »
I can suss out the food sitrep in Bognor. I will need a date though, and of course that may mean that I cannot do the ride itself if I am at work.

mickdent

« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2009, 03:39:15 pm »
I could be interested and I'd favour the London to coast option.  The Southend/Whitstable routes may be less prone to ice than Brighton too?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2009, 04:23:25 pm »
Friday 18th December will be the date. 

As for destination, personally, I'd really prefer not to go to Southend.  Although it would have a halfway stop at J31 services, and I like arriving at Southend, seeing as almost all of the route is through built-up areas, it's most of the actual journey I find rather boring, apart from the last 5 miles!

Whitstable is probably the easiest route, but as I mentioned above, there wouldn't be a halfway stop, and it would be a question of hoping one of the cafés in the High Street opens around 8 am.

Although it's a longer distance, if we look at Bognor, then we can use Pease Pottage services near Crawley as a halfway stop, and on the assumption it will be a fairly small group of 10-15 max, then upon arrival, there's the station café in Bognor which I'm certain will be open, or Jasper can recce something else that opens early on a Saturday.

Although I like Whitstable very much, I'm inclined to look at Bognor simply because it doesn't feature much on the official rides list! Route-wise it would be the traditional Brighton route as far as Gatwick, then south through Crawley to the services, then a back road to Horsham linking up to the published Bognor route. 

Anyone else got any preferences?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:02:05 pm »
What about Portsmouth, with a London and a Swindon start?  Then the Pompey crew can make us all breakfast  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2009, 09:53:49 pm »
Whilst it would be tempting to go for a 2 am blast down the A3, as Tim mentioned above, I think it would be best to stick to known routes and destinations.  Although I'm sure Portsmouth is a very fine location, despite Hummers.   ;)

« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2009, 07:37:45 am »

Whitstable is probably the easiest route, but as I mentioned above, there wouldn't be a halfway stop, and it would be a question of hoping one of the cafés in the High Street opens around 8 am.

Adam, don't dismiss the The Waterfront Club if you do decide on Whitstable. I think Faye and Sharon are there from 08:00 anyway - a quick call would confirm...

Alternatively there is Deb's Place, a greasy spoon-like affair,  on the left along Canterebury Road before you reach the the railway bridge and the chippy we've used.
Although I've not used it myself, Deb's was recommended to me by someone local.
Deb's Place
Tel: 01227 261268| 58, Canterbury Rd, Whitstable, Kent CT5 4HD.
I think it opens early but lacks any view of the sea.

« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:58:47 am »
Friday 18th December will be the date. 

As for destination, personally, I'd really prefer not to go to Southend.  Although it would have a halfway stop at J31 services, and I like arriving at Southend, seeing as almost all of the route is through built-up areas, it's most of the actual journey I find rather boring, apart from the last 5 miles!

Although it's a longer distance, if we look at Bognor, then we can use Pease Pottage services near Crawley as a halfway stop, and on the assumption it will be a fairly small group of 10-15 max, then upon arrival, there's the station café in Bognor which I'm certain will be open, or Jasper can recce something else that opens early on a Saturday.

Although I like Whitstable very much, I'm inclined to look at Bognor simply because it doesn't feature much on the official rides list! Route-wise it would be the traditional Brighton route as far as Gatwick, then south through Crawley to the services, then a back road to Horsham linking up to the published Bognor route. 

Anyone else got any preferences?

I will be away on the 18th. But any help with the route abd stuff will not be a problem.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »

Adam, don't dismiss the The Waterfront Club if you do decide on Whitstable. I think Faye and Sharon are there from 08:00 anyway - a quick call would confirm...

Alternatively there is Deb's Place, a greasy spoon-like affair,  on the left along Canterebury Road before you reach the the railway bridge and the chippy we've used.
Although I've not used it myself, Deb's was recommended to me by someone local.
Deb's Place
Tel: 01227 261268| 58, Canterbury Rd, Whitstable, Kent CT5 4HD.
I think it opens early but lacks any view of the sea.

Thanks Jurek.  :thumbsup:

For a halfway break on the Whitstable route, there is a 24 hour Asda in Chatham where we could stock up on food/drink and lounge around for a bit.

I will be away on the 18th. But any help with the route abd stuff will not be a problem.

No worries, Jasper.

As I mentioned above, Bognor* would be my preferred option, simply for a change (although sadly my dad who lives there, won't be there as he's sunning himself in Spain).  But I'm happy to go with the flow if others prefer somewhere else.

So, which destination will it be?

* although bearing in mind it will be a small group, we're more likely not to go on the chalk/flint path between North Stoke and Burpham and stick to the road.

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2009, 07:57:45 pm »
I live by the sea so ending up in London would be a whole new concept for me.

You are Puff the Magic Dragon, and I claim my five pounds!

« Reply #22 on: 10 November, 2009, 07:58:52 am »

For a halfway break on the Whitstable route, there is a 24 hour Asda in Chatham where we could stock up on food/drink and lounge around for a bit.

As you doubtless know, there are also 24 hour Asda's at Greenhithe and Sittingbourne.
Greenhithe is the only one listed as having a cafe - but having spoken to the manager of that and the one in Sittingbourne, the cafe is not a 24 hour operation - so, unlikely to yield any hot drinks at that time of night.
The Chatham (not listed as having a cafe) one is a slog up a long hill - (think Turners Hill but longer) - which takes you off-route.
There's a 24 hr petrol station / mini-market in Chatham on Dock Road - but the attitude of the counter person is pretty poor, in as much as on the one occasion we visited, he wouldn't allow His Leggship access to buy a Mars bar ("Police and cab drivers only, mate......")  ???

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #23 on: 10 November, 2009, 01:38:50 pm »
Thanks Jurek.  I knew the cafes wouldn't be open in the stores.  Greenhithe would be OK, although it quite a bit less than halfway, whilst I'd discounted the Sittingbourne one, as it's nearer the end.

Chatham looked reasonable as being just about halfway, as although there's a bit of a slope up to where it is next to Rochester airfield, after checking on Bikehike, it's just over 5% at the steepest, and overall it would only add 5 miles.

Anyway, there's already 1 vote for Bognor!

« Reply #24 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »
Would Bognor include one of the off road options?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]