Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Our heating is getting a lot less use.  Sadly, this is because barakta is no longer living in the dining room, rather than any substantial improvement in the weather.
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 12:04:18 pm »
It's a good read. A couple of things that stood out for me were Dean's quote, which I hadn't heard before, and that the Shard is visible from so far off. Albeit, judging by the photo, from the top of a hill.
Mine has spent a grand total of one weekend this year not operating!
The thermostat claims it’s 17 C in the Great Hall atm and at this rate I'll be celebrating May Day by putting the heating back on.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Ham on Today at 11:51:48 am »
I changed the tyre of the hackbike, how memorable could that be?

The bike I bought from a local almost-bike-shop about 5 years ago, frame is a 21 speed Gary Fisher, it had clearly had a long life before me but it fitted my specification - reasonable frame, v-brakes, fixed rear axle for adding a hitch. For about three years I experimented with a zero maintenance approach which - if I could have found an easy replacement at the same £70 I paid for it - would have left me quids in. But, as I couldn't I started to spend money on it. One thing it had needed from the start was new tyres, the old ones had tread but were cracked to buggery. I got a couple of Panracers cheap (yes I know If I wanted to get to there I shouldn't start here - there being a place where changing tyre was simple). I managed the rear wheel, and put the front down as a job for some day in the future. Grandson-ham had been pointing out just how cracked the tyre was, so the time had come, I decided.

You know you are Not In A Good Place when you have to deploy the BFO Park Levers to remove a knackered tyre. The Panracer was clearly going to be a challenge, said levers were needed from about just past 10 o'clock to just before 2 o'clock on the wheel. First time, I take GREAT CARE to push the tyre in with my fingers. But, as not entirely unexpected, I punctured it. Ho hum start again.

This time I use a set of plastic tyre levers to push the tube in, taking my time, as I thought that would be better. What with the levers being thinner than my fingers.

Guess how many punctures using this careful approach.

(click to show/hide)

I found another old tyre.
Gallery / Re: A bridge I cycled over...
« Last post by bikepacker on Today at 11:46:08 am »
When I lived near Oswestry I regularly cycled the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct it has to be one of the scariest bridge rides. The first time was a real nervy ride following a guy who used it to ride to and from work. After a few times I got quite used to it. Everyone should pay it a visit well worth the trip.
It has just started raining. 7.3°C here at 11am, but I think the temperature has risen to nearer 8°C now.
Modifying a suspect damaged drive is a bad idea. There are a couple of suggestions here using either an add on driver or Mac or Linux to read the drive while ignoring permissions:

https://superuser.com/questions/144101/windows-7-ignore-security-when-reading-external-drive
It has stopped raining here but the temperature feels like early March not the last week of April. There's a real bite in the air.
OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 11:06:42 am »
I don't remember ever being told either of those. I suppose now something similar would apply to plastic piping. It was all much simpler in India, where all taps were fed from from the roof tank, and mains water could be assumed to need boiling in any case. Simpler isn't always better!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10