Author Topic: What's happened to the Steam Rides?  (Read 8360 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: What's happened to the Steam Rides?
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
Any inference or assertions that AUK is secretive or hides things away are simply unfounded.

All of the information relating to organisers/organising events - is accessible under the 1st Level Menu item on Aukweb under the title, 'Organisers'.

A second level menu item. 'Organising an Event' gives an oveview of the process and includes a link to the Organisers Handbook.  This has been in place since 2011 which (AFAIAA) is when the Orgs Handbook in its current format was published.

Access to other organiser materials requires sign on; these relate to materials related to the actual running of events, mostly various forms and access to the event planner, which is specific to individual organisers.

Similarly all of the material relating to AUK operations is under the 1st Level Menu item, 'Official', including minutes from AGM and Board Meetings, Insurance, officers and Delegates, etc.

So whilst AUKweb might fall short of modern presentation standards/expectations, most things are demonstrably readily accessible. Props to Francis for that.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2016, 12:15:03 pm »
Amen.  In general stuff is pretty easy to find and if/when the new website project develops, then it's important to remember that whilst looking a little more, hmmm, modern, is important; most of us use the AUK website for stuff that doesn't need flashy, we need information quickly and to enter events etc. quickly (all of which the website delivers in spades). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »
Amen.  In general stuff is pretty easy to find and if/when the new website project develops, then it's important to remember that whilst looking a little more, hmmm, modern, is important; most of us use the AUK website for stuff that doesn't need flashy, we need information quickly and to enter events etc. quickly (all of which the website delivers in spades).

Double amen to that brother.

And I make my crust as a Digital Strategist for a digital design and development agency - that is I make money telling people what to do with their sites  8)

It could all look nicer I guess but I find the current style charming - everything is there, it's pretty simple and gets the job done. I think the idea of a marketing and story hub is good, but beyond that... a tidy up and maybe next time make it responsive, but there are more important things in the world to worry about!

« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
All of the information relating to organisers/organising events - is accessible under the 1st Level Menu item on Aukweb under the title, 'Organisers'.  A second level menu item. 'Organising an Event' gives an oveview of the process and includes a link to the Organisers Handbook.

As a new organiser I've been pleasantly surprised about how easy it is to find and use all of these resources, it's a great system, well designed, functional, intuitive. The level of support from regional organiser and mentor has also been nothing short of excellent.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 17 February, 2016, 05:27:17 pm »
As a new organiser I've been pleasantly surprised about how easy it is to find and use all of these resources, it's a great system, well designed, functional, intuitive.

Have you used the Event Planner yet?!?
(EDIT: @Mr O'tea:
the above is not intended to be constructive. Does every post have to be??
I've posted 1.72 billion posts in the past defending the otherwise wonderful aukweb.net, so I think I'm allowed the occasional "quip".   :-*
)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

« Reply #30 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:22:26 pm »
As LBRs event is listed the answer is presumably 'yes', but regardless of that, in what way is this a constructive comment/question?

All these types of quips achieve is to undermine the AUK volunteers who develop and maintain systems which are demonstrably used to schedule several hundred events each year, and I think it's about time posters in general and AUK members in particular cut it out.

It's not big and it's not funny.

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2016, 05:50:43 pm »
As LBRs event is listed the answer is presumably 'yes', but regardless of that, in what way is this a constructive comment/question?

All these types of quips achieve is to undermine the AUK volunteers who develop and maintain systems which are demonstrably used to schedule several hundred events each year, and I think it's about time posters in general and AUK members in particular cut it out.

It's not big and it's not funny.

PLUS ONE

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »
<Bumped for Arry to read:>
As a new organiser I've been pleasantly surprised about how easy it is to find and use all of these resources, it's a great system, well designed, functional, intuitive.

Have you used the Event Planner yet?!?
(EDIT: @Mr O'tea:
the above is not intended to be constructive. Does every post have to be??
I've posted 1.72 billion posts in the past defending the otherwise wonderful aukweb.net, so I think I'm allowed the occasional "quip".   :-*
)

Oh, and p.s. One quip amongst quite a lot of praise for the website. Arent we being just a wee bit sensitive? Winter cabin fever??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2016, 10:33:28 am »
Quite possibly, but also, as the subject of the scurrilous accusation by Tim Sollesse upthread, quite justifiably.

Whilst I was AUK Secretary it seemed inappropriate to respond to slurs by some seemingly intent on undermining myself and other Board members in order to pursue their own – to my mind, at least – narrow and partisan agendas. There are obvious problems with that approach.

However that was then and this is now.

I will respond to the accusation made above in due course and through the appropriate channels. Putting that aside, in my view, your comment was simply inappropriate here, and to suggest such comments are 'all a bit of fun' is simply to ignore their accumulative corrosive effect.

Having said that, I'm happy to accept, 'I need to get out more', and that's something I'm working on. :)