Author Topic: Etrex 30: Too many waypoints on the map. How to hide them?  (Read 4435 times)

Etrex 30: Too many waypoints on the map. How to hide them?
« on: 03 April, 2013, 09:05:42 pm »
Hi all,

I've sussed out how to get a route onto my Etrex and kinda sussed out how to get turn by turn instructions on the road.

But when I download a GPX from Bikehike or other and set the max to 249 and transfer to the Etrex....I end up with big blue waypoints on the route, kinda blocks the route.

I've set all the text and fonts to small, any ideas on how I can hide the blue balloons?

Re: Etrex 30: Too many waypoints on the map. How to hide them?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:49:16 am »
Set max to 24.9  ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2013, 09:08:49 am »
The default blue flags are a pain.
You could try editing the GPX to add a custom symbol for each waypoint, which is smaller than the default flag.
'City (Medium)' is just a small grey dot.
So with the GPX file open in a plain text editor, you could do a 'find and replace' on
</wpt>
replacing with
<sym>City (Medium)</sym></wpt>
and the same with
</rtept>
replacing with
<sym>City (Medium)</sym></rtept>

Truth is though that as hinted above, 249 is far too many points (unless it's a very long ride!).  With Routes, less is more.  Very approximately 1 per km would be fine, in UK laney type roads - though that would depend on them being placed intelligently, which I don't think BikeHike would do automatically.
Points more frequent than that will just be an annoyance on the bike - incessant bleeping and flashing of messages.

If you're using BikeHike, I think a better way to make a Route is to turn 'follow road' OFF (in BikeHike) then just click turn-to-turn** - then download the result as a 'Route' GPX.

** if using 'direct' routing. 
But if you plan to let the GPS autoroute ('follow road') it actually works a bit better if you don't put waypoints on the turns, but on the roads in between the turns, IYSWIM.  Say 200m or so after the turn, in each case.  The onscreen directions work much better if the GPS is allowed to do its own thing in the immediate vicinity of the turns.  (NB there is also a 50 point limit in autorouting mode - but that is loads, easily enough for a full day's cycling.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
Sounds like you'd be better off using a Track...

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2013, 01:59:04 pm »
Does a track guide you back on if you wander off it?
IIRC, a Route guides you to the nearest Waypoint if you wander off it.

An Itinerary guides you to the next unvisited Waypoint if you wander off it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »
No, and this is why I prefer to use routes.  But they're not 249 waypoints long...

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »
Ah ok, so for example a route of 40 miles - enter 45 or so waypoints and it'll be better? I'll give it a go...I was under the impression that if I entered 249 max the software would just use what it needed.

Thanks for the replies.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2013, 04:15:15 pm »
No, and this is why I prefer to use routes.  But they're not 249 waypoints long...

Hi Kim,

Just to clarify if you don't mind.....you manage ok with the autoroute facility and 50 waypoints? How do you plan your route, on bikehike or similar sort of thing?

The reason I ask is, all the online help stuff says not to use the autoroute option as 50 waypoints is not enough for audaxing.

Thanks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2013, 05:23:37 pm »
Just to clarify if you don't mind.....you manage ok with the autoroute facility and 50 waypoints? How do you plan your route, on bikehike or similar sort of thing?

Painstakingly in Mapsource, and then sanity-check on the unit itself, as the algorithms aren't quite the same (don't even think about using Bikehike or anything that isn't using exactly the same map as your Garmin).  It's a bit of a black art, as in some places you'll need to drop a lot more routepoints than others to keep it to the intended route.  However, this means I get the auto-routing display with turn arrows, which I find much easier to read on the bike (especially the USS recumbents, where the Garmin is mounted relatively far from my eyes).

The reason I ask is, all the online help stuff says not to use the autoroute option as 50 waypoints is not enough for audaxing.

I rarely ride more than 200km at a go, so that's probably a reasonable statement.  However, there's no reason you can't represent a longer ride as multiple Routes - if you split them at logical places (ie. controls) it doesn't add much faff.

The main issue with the autorouting, apart from not spotting that it's chosen some bizarre unintended route at the planning stage, is that it can't handle deviations from the mapping.  So un-mapped cycle paths, contraflow cycle lanes and the typical cross-the-dual-carriageway-as-a-pedestrian manoeuvre mean selectively ignoring the Garmin's instructions.  I create an explanatory waypoint in those situations.

If it's an Audax or something route-critical, I'll generally create a track of the route first, and upload that to the Garmin too.  That way there's a line on the map to sanity check the autorouting instructions against.

While it's quite time-consuming, doing this amount of homework does mean you have a good idea of where you're going on the day, rather than blindly following a GPS/routesheet/fellow cyclist.

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

Painstakingly in Mapsource, and then sanity-check on the unit itself, as the algorithms aren't quite the same (don't even think about using Bikehike or anything that isn't using exactly the same map as your Garmin).  It's a bit of a black art, as in some places you'll need to drop a lot more routepoints than others to keep it to the intended route.  However, this means I get the auto-routing display with turn arrows, which I find much easier to read on the bike (especially the USS recumbents, where the Garmin is mounted relatively far from my eyes).

I rarely ride more than 200km at a go, so that's probably a reasonable statement.  However, there's no reason you can't represent a longer ride as multiple Routes - if you split them at logical places (ie. controls) it doesn't add much faff.

The main issue with the autorouting, apart from not spotting that it's chosen some bizarre unintended route at the planning stage, is that it can't handle deviations from the mapping.  So un-mapped cycle paths, contraflow cycle lanes and the typical cross-the-dual-carriageway-as-a-pedestrian manoeuvre mean selectively ignoring the Garmin's instructions.  I create an explanatory waypoint in those situations.

If it's an Audax or something route-critical, I'll generally create a track of the route first, and upload that to the Garmin too.  That way there's a line on the map to sanity check the autorouting instructions against.

While it's quite time-consuming, doing this amount of homework does mean you have a good idea of where you're going on the day, rather than blindly following a GPS/routesheet/fellow cyclist.

Thanks Kim, I've been using Basecamp as my UI, so I suppose it makes sense to carry on using that. I also do the track and route thing together.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:02:10 am »

+1 this sounds like a faff and overkill etc, but it really works.  Colour the Track to make it more visible.  http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_12.htm

50 points should easily be enough to autoroute a 200km. 
However audaxes usually end up back where they started (either circular route or out-and-back) and this presents problems of its own - your GPS will just try to short-cut straight to the finish.  The solution would be to have 2 Routes, 'out' and 'back'.   This takes any consideration of 'how many points' right out of it, because about 20 for each leg should be enough.  Put them on connecting roads not junctions, as mentioned upthread, or the oncreen directions at turns won't be as clear as they could be.
And I would avoid autorouting using 'bicycle' mode. 'Car' or 'Delivery' (if you've got it) works much better, on a road bike.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
When I had Garmin, I used the ‘Sections’ method of splitting up an Audax. I still use that method although I don't need to.

The SatNav I use now has ‘Itineraries’. These are lists of Waypoints which are visited in strict sequence.
On an Audax, the HQ is named ‘Home’ and Waypoints along the route are named 1, 2, 3 etc. The device will not go to the final destination without visiting Waypoints 1, 2, 3 etc in order.

A circular route is possible, such as the No. 11 or No. 8 bus routes round Birmingham.

Garmin got really confused with the circular routes. It decided to immediately take me to a Waypoint closer to my finishing destination, although it was not in sequence.

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
Programmed my unit with a multiple 'Figure 8' Itinerary yesterday evening. More like an 'entwined zig-zag' out-and-back. Resembled Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

No problems.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2013, 10:30:05 am »
Programmed my unit with a multiple 'Figure 8' Itinerary yesterday evening. More like an 'entwined zig-zag' out-and-back. Resembled Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

No problems.

what model of unit is this?

oh - and, erm, how big is it, by the way?  :D

« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »

No problems.

Its a wide-screen telly, not a postage stamp.   ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »

No problems.

Oh, right. Did it come with a bike mount, or did you fashion one yourself?

« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2013, 02:33:46 pm »

No problems.

Oh, right. Did it come with a bike mount, or did you fashion one yourself?

Bike mount?? My brother-in-law leaves the rear tailgate of his Range Rover open so I can see it, so I simply follow him.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »
Does a track guide you back on if you wander off it?
IIRC, a Route guides you to the nearest Waypoint if you wander off it.

An Itinerary guides you to the next unvisited Waypoint if you wander off it.

I don't find 'wandering off tracks' is as much of a problem as i thought it would be  - by checking the map regularly, as I ride (especially before junctions) it provides a reassuring line to follow. If it's a technical section, zoom in, if it's straight forward zoom out and only look down every now and then.

If you do go off track you can just zoom out on the map and see straight away where you went wrong, and retrace. It is possible to set off course alarms and/or to display a meters off course at the top of the map (if you really want to know for sure that it's all going well).

Long tracks that have been downsampled to load can show as being some meters off course as you go around bends, but it all comes together at junctions.

I find tracks quick and easy to set up on bikehike/get from other riders/previous rides, and just following the line on the map is simples. I have found that the colour options for 'view on map' aren't as clear as the thick purple line you get if you use 'go to' and select the track... and i suspect that when i do that i'm using the track as a route, but i'm not entirely sure what that's all about ;-).

Anyway, as a relative newbie to the etrex30, i've found tracks to be quick to set up, reliable, and easy to follow.

Andrew.