Author Topic: Etrex 35 Touch Battery Life  (Read 3873 times)

Etrex 35 Touch Battery Life
« on: 06 April, 2016, 05:41:50 pm »
Anybody got an Etrex 35 Touch? If so, what sort of life do you get out of a pair of batteries?

I am using new rechargeable batteries which give me a maximum of around 6 hours 30. That is in daylight (so no backlight) following a purple line on a track. This is nowhere near the claimed upto 16 or so hours (yes, I know, pinch of salt). It could be my charger, maybe it's not up to the job, but isn't a charger just a charger? I haven't, as yet, tried it with non-rechargeable lithium batteries.

Any thoughts?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Etrex 35 Touch Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2016, 07:21:32 pm »
Chargers aren't just chargers.  First and foremost, there are the ones that connect the cells in series and charge them as a  single battery, and the ones that charge each cell individually.  The problem with the former is that you end up overcharging the smaller cells and under-charging the bigger ones, and over time they can end up damaged or poorly balanced.  This is often an issue with devices that charge AA cells in situ.

The Technoline BL-700 (or its relatives) is the discerning YACFer's solution for charging AA cells.  Not only does it charge each cell independently, but it will allow you to test the capacity of the cells to spot duds and sort them into matched pairs for optimal performance.

Beyond that, you do sometimes get duff cells.  And I suppose it's possible (though unlikely) that a firmware bug in the eTrex is running amok and draining the battery excessively quickly.  Someone would probably have noticed that, though.

Samuel D

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:42:08 pm »
An alternative to the Technoline BL-700 (or relatives) is the Maha MH-C9000 (or relatives). I use the latter successfully with a fleet of eneloop cells.

You don’t mention the type of cell you’re using. Some (e.g. those eneloops) are much better than others, though most of them hold a decent charge when new.

Also check you’ve told your eTrex that you’re using NiMH cells. There will be a menu option somewhere.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:44:33 am »
The Technoline is sold by Amazon as Youshiko YC4000

Any pack of 4 cells is quite likely to include 1 relative dud.  I leave it to others to calculate the chances, when picking 2 AAs at random from a set of 4, of picking a compromised pair.  If you can identify the best 2 cells of the 4, mark them and keep them together as a pair.  Throw the dud away.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2016, 11:12:54 am »
Thinking it may be time to buy a new charger. I put the four batteries on this morning and have just looked at them. After about 3 hours, the batteries themselves are quite hot, a little too hot to hold comfortably, and the charger has a slight hot / burning smell about it.

That credit card that has been hiding will be needed once more.

Samuel D

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2016, 11:24:46 am »
The burning smell is a bad sign, but did you check that you’ve told your Garmin you’re using NiMH cells? It might be under Settings > System or something like that.

If you don’t do this, the Garmin will expect alkaline-like voltages and may shut down prematurely when the NiMH cell’s lower voltage tapers off a bit.

Also, what brand of NiMH cell are you using?

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »
I have set the Garmin to expect NiMH batteries. The brand I am using is Energizer.

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2016, 04:16:43 pm »
The Technoline is sold by Amazon as Youshiko YC4000

Any pack of 4 cells is quite likely to include 1 relative dud.  I leave it to others to calculate the chances, when picking 2 AAs at random from a set of 4, of picking a compromised pair.  If you can identify the best 2 cells of the 4, mark them and keep them together as a pair.  Throw the dud away.

This 7Dayshop one looks like a 'Technoline' too...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Display-Intelligent-Battery-Batteries/dp/B00TONCQI8?ie=UTF8&keywords=7dayshop%20aa%20nimh&qid=1460042097&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »
It's normal for batteries to be hot at the end of charging (depending on charge current) and to smell slightly funny, which might be confused for burning.  It's a good idea to get a decent charger and new cells anyway.  Be ware of fake batteries and dangerous chargers from eBay and Amazon merchants.  7 Day Shop is reputable, though.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●