Author Topic: Glace Cherries  (Read 10253 times)

Deborah

Re: Glace Cherries
« Reply #50 on: 16 May, 2010, 07:50:58 pm »
Some cherries are in a kilner jar with vodka. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

« Reply #51 on: 16 May, 2010, 09:06:10 pm »
Lots and lots of Mr Kippling style Bakewell Tarts - has to be lots as you only use half a cherry per tart.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Deborah

« Reply #52 on: 17 May, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »
I might well have to resort to that  :-\

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #53 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:57:20 pm »
Bakewell tart is minging. I would suggest sending me the cherries you don't think you'll use, but seeing as the oven in my temporary flat doesn't work, I wouldn't be able to bake with them anyway.

I wouldn't worry about them reaching their use-by date - anything in that amount of sugar isn't going to go off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #54 on: 18 May, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »
They're horrible.

You could use them for marbles, but it'd be a bit slow.  The sugar makes them right sticky.

If they're halved, you could stick them to something and pretend it's made out of riveted steel plate.

Eating them is the wrong thing to do.
+1.

I've never seen the point of 'em. How to ruin a cherry by wasting sugar.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #55 on: 18 May, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
Glace cherries are lovely, the only way of improving them is to add marzipan. Here's a cake recipe that uses Glace Cherries 200g at a time, I reckon you could probably get more in if you tried.
Cherry and Marzipan cake recipe - Recipes - goodtoknow

Deborah

« Reply #56 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
That looks lovely, thanks for the link Exit Stage Left.

« Reply #57 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:36:49 pm »
Just...EAT 'em. As they are. lovely!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #58 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:35:19 pm »
It may well be that Notherners and Scots have a greater affection for preserved fruit, they were the main source of Vitamin C  in the winter, and in poor families the main source full stop. Older readers will remember Rosehip Syrup, Sloe Gin is also a way of preserving Ascorbic Acid. Glace Cherries will stop you getting scurvy, worth remembering in a nutritional bind, also a good source of vitamin A. So a balanced diet could be Glace Cherries and Marmite, and lots of sunshine.

« Reply #59 on: 18 May, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »
It's a shame my dad isn't up to recognising a glacé cherry these days.
He'd just sit there and eat them all for you (according to my mother that is -- she wondered why she never had any left for cooking so presented him with a very large pack as a present one Christmas  ;D)

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."