Author Topic: What to do with mackerel?  (Read 3764 times)

Jakob

What to do with mackerel?
« on: 25 July, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »
So, my wife bought some mackerel that I, for some reason, have to cook...and while I do like mackerel, we always end up doing them grilled and I want to do something different this time.
Anyone got any favourite mackerel recipes they want to share?

Fall-back option is this , but I'm a little reluctant as it probably wont be as nice as the real thing in Istanbul...(and I would have to find a sumac substitute)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What to do with mackerel?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »
We're lazy and fry up some onion, peas and rice and then bung in the mackerel to heat up :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:14:34 pm »
Wrap them in foil and bake them with herbs and lemon - but it's not much different from grilling. We're not very adventurous also.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »
Devilled is nice.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:36:54 pm »
These are really easy to fish in Brittany and I used to do them with mustard.

It is really easy, you need to remove the guts and the head, cut them in half, spread some mustard on the flesh (quite a thick coat) and then you can cook them in the frying pan or in the oven. The mustard becomes dry and crusty and provided you have cooked them enough, it is not hot, just a nice and quite unique taste.
Chief cat entertainer.

Jakob

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »
Devilled is nice.

Hmm, googling devilled mackerel brought up this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/gordon_ramsay/article4703638.ece

Panoramix' idea is good too, but I may go with the devilled ones..

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »
Fillet, teriyaki marinade, then grill.

Serve with steamed veg and udon noodles (with the remaining teriyaki marinade poured over).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »
The first time I had fresh mackerel they were rolled in oatmeal and then fried, delicious  :P

These days I usually just grill them and serve with rice & salad.  Some sort of chutney or acidic fruit preserve goes nicely with them as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2011, 12:56:10 pm »
Gut the fish (if they aren't already)

Get some new potatoes cooking.

Chop red onions into strips, by cutting in half from the 'top' of the onion not the side then chop across the halves and break the onion  segments up by hand. Do enough that you can make a good layer right across the bottom of a frying pan (one that can take a lid - you need a lid)

Put the chopped onion into a mixing bowl and add 3 or 4 diced cloves of garlic.

To the mixing bowl of onions & garlic add a generous splash of dark soy sauce, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of clear honey. A small splash of apple juice (about 1 finger in a normal drinking glass) and half a cup of water and a good sploosh of olive oil. Then get busy mixing it all up by hand.

Pour the mixture into your (cold) frying pan and distribute it evenly over the bottom of the pan. You are trying to achieve a base of onions that will hold the fish off the base of the pan and just enough liquid that it doesn't really touch the fish very much, just kind of laps the underside of the fish.

Heat the mixture rapidly until it starts to bubble then turn the flame down to a simmer. Add the fish carefully on top of the onion mix and put the lid on.

Check periodically to make sure that the water hasn't dried up, if it has, just add a little more - you don't want it to dry out. Believe me!

Cooking time seems to be pretty random, just keep checking the fish until they are done. It isn't necessary to turn the fish, but if you can do it carefully, there is no harm and it helps flavour the fish.

When the fish are done, take them out and crank the heat to rapidly half boil half fry off the mixture until it goes thick and gloopy, but still pourable. scoop out the onions and press them into the fish bellies and pour the gloop over the potatoes.

Before you serve - get that frying pan soaking! This mixture laughs in the face of Teflon.

It is Bloody Delicious if I do say so myself (and I do, since it's my recipe!)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

iakobski

« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2011, 01:49:26 pm »
Cook in newspaper:

http://www.sergetheconcierge.com/2011/05/newspaper-fish-for-dinner-mackerel-trout-recipe-from-scandinavian-kitchen-cookbook.html

Can be done on a fire/BBQ or in the oven, the big advantage is you don't have to scale the fish as the skin comes off on the newspaper when you unwrap it.

Use the Guardian for best results, obv.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »
Mrs V likes them "soused in vinegar"
Gut, salt, pepper put in casserole dish.  Cover in vinegar and bake in the oven.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2011, 03:20:56 pm »
Mrs V likes them "soused in vinegar"
Gut, salt, pepper put in casserole dish.  Cover in vinegar and bake in the oven.

Mrs V clearly has good taste in food :thumbsup:

Om nom nom nom!

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2011, 12:16:40 am »
Saw  a prog on tv today that showed mackerel being grilled and served with roasted rhubarb!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:39:46 am »
Saw  a prog on tv today that showed mackerel being grilled and served with roasted rhubarb!

I can imagine that would work. Sharp flavours go very well with mackerel - the classic french combination of grilled mackerel with gooseberry sauce is a personal favourite.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:41:25 am »
Coat mackerel fillets in oatmeal and fry them.  Make an orange sauce with onions, flour, orange juice/zest and the frying oil.  Quick and easy.