Author Topic: Peacocks&Kites Calender and Cambrian 3 Perm double  (Read 7277 times)

Re: Peacocks&Kites Calender and Cambrian 3 Perm double
« Reply #50 on: 30 June, 2010, 12:28:41 pm »
Rollcall time. Add your name to the list:

Peakcocks 'n' Kites

Panoramix
Flatus
Frere Yacker

Cambrian 3A

αdαmsκι
Flatus

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #51 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:45:45 am »
I have a fully booked Peacocks and Kites package but sadly I won't make it. Not sure if entries are transferable but I hope the pre-paid travelodge is  ... hell just pretend to be me (I'll give some useful hints for impersonating me - if you can get accent right there should be no problems  ;)).

I have a bed at the Travelodge Cardiff Llanedeyrn (Circle Way East, Cardiff, Glamorgan CF23 9PD)‎ from Fr-Sa. So if anyone is interested pm me and I will send you the details.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #52 on: 02 July, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »
I will have to DNS this one  :'(
Chief cat entertainer.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #53 on: 02 July, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »
Just about to strike out for Cardiff, listening to the Holland/Brazil game on the wireless  :thumbsup:

« Reply #54 on: 02 July, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »
That's a shame Panoramix.

See you tomorrow FY, and no strewing rocks on the course this time to get rid of your competitors.  ;)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »
Great event that deserves a lot more entries than it had.  A real "highlights of the heart of Wales", taking in some classic stretches familiar from other rides.  My third favourite ride of the year so far.

Time has not tamed the Glyn.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »
Great event that deserves a lot more entries than it had.  A real "highlights of the heart of Wales", taking in some classic stretches familiar from other rides.  My third favourite ride of the year so far.

This was my favourite event last year, the scenery is really good. How many people this year?
Chief cat entertainer.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:01:56 pm »

This was my favourite event last year, the scenery is really good. How many people this year?

7, I think.

The middle 200 is awesome, isn't it.

Weather was just about perfect for it as well.  Not too hot, not too cold.  Goldilocks would approve.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #58 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:55:41 am »
Did you do the Trefil on Sunday as you planned?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #59 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
Did you do the Trefil on Sunday as you planned?

My thighs are telling me yes.  Bloody hard, grunty hills in the first 25km (the first 3km, even) and last 15km (that one that is at the end of your Ride Around Rhonnda).  A day in the saddle not entirely helped by the rain and headwind.  Oh well, at least the reservoirs were getting a topping up (it was noticable how low the reservoirs in Wales were on the P+K, the Elan was down to a trickle in places).  The riders doing the P+K/3A double (or even just the 3A) chose an slow day to do it - I was thinking of them when I was getting nudged towards the verge by the wind.

The TT is a really interesting route, as always seems to be the case with Dave Lewis' rides.  The middle 50km was just great cycling, period.  I'm envious of those of you fortunate enough to be living next door to such wonderful cycling territory.

PS: anyone thinking of doing the TT, note that the climbing centre that Dave has as a control is closed until further notice.  I'll point this out in my response to Dave (controls a couple of km before or after would be possible).

« Reply #60 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »
I didn't do the cs3a as I felt a bit unwell during the p&k despite taking it easy.

Adamski rode it and found it challenging in the wind, I believe.

I might do it next Sunday if I feel ok after the Saturday 300 (or I might go to the pub instead)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #61 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Adamski rode it and found it challenging in the wind, I believe.

It battered me. Much harder than The Elenith. I started at 05h30 and finished just before 21h30.  It was a headwind from Hay-on-Wye to Tregaron (expect for the bit of cross-wind at the top of the climb from Rhayader that was threatening to blow me off my bike) and from Llanwrtyd Wells to Brecon. The descent into Cwmystwyth was done at about 15 kph, and that was with me pedaling in the small ring of my compact. Nor could I see because the rain was stabbing my eyeballs or covering my sunglasses. Still, I rode up all the hills.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #62 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:59:16 pm »
Good effort!

Rides like that vary hugely with the conditions. The Elenith was very benign this year

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #63 on: 05 July, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »
Adamski, I asked Tom and he said that was a top gun performance.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #64 on: 05 July, 2010, 01:11:34 pm »

The TT is a really interesting route, as always seems to be the case with Dave Lewis' rides.  The middle 50km was just great cycling, period.  I'm envious of those of you fortunate enough to be living next door to such wonderful cycling territory.

The Trefil is a very evolved route.  Various parts had to change.  For instance Blackvein road (Cross Keys to Cwmfelinfach) became popular with 4x4 off roaders dragging rocks on to the road surface and it became very unpleasant to ride/walk.  The road layout in Nelson was altered so it was awkward to get to the old route back which was over to Sengenydd and up to the Rose and Crown from Abertridwr so it now goes up to Llanfabon down to Cilfynydd then up Penheol Ely Road that you love so much. The ride changed from clockwise to anticlockwise to clockwise.   The original Trefil was entrely East of the Taff.  Then I suggested we add the Brynfynnon, Llanwonno to the Wednesday night pub run and the Trefil changed close to what it is now. Dave possibly has other Trefils if you want to try them.

Before the climbing centre opened Dave used to use infos in Bedlinog.  I imagine you noticed Bedlinog.

Edit: I forgot.  Mill Road Deri was re-discovered on a Sunday club run and just had to be added.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #65 on: 05 July, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »
Ah yes, that climb out of Deri.  Nice climb that one, particularly as it takes you up onto Cefn Gelligaer *focuses on the positive*.

That, Mynydd Bedwellte and Gelligaer Common (after Beldinog) were class acts.  Had to work up a sweat to enjoy them though!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #66 on: 05 July, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »
Adamski, I asked Tom and he said that was a top gun performance.

;D
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/