Author Topic: Numb feet  (Read 1770 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Numb feet
« on: 09 January, 2011, 03:02:49 pm »
Two rides in, and I'm getting numb feet from the ball down to the toes. Clearly something wrong with my pedalling style. I suspect I'm pushing with both legs all the time. If I am, then as well as causing numb feet it has to be spectacularly inefficient.

Suggestions?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Numb feet
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:16:29 pm »
This happens to me too.  But it also occurs on upright bikes - although after a longer distance.

Sometimes on the 'bent, my feet start to tingle after only a few miles; other times, it's right towards the end of the ride.  I've not been able to determine a common factor for the former.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:44:52 pm »
When this happens to me I loosen the front end of my shoe a bit, which usually solves it quite quickly. I've learned not to tighten the front velcro too tight.
Tingling = lack of blood flowing, most likely caused by shoes too tight.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

tonycollinet

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »
Same shoes (boots) as on my upright. Same tightness. Don't get it on the upright, so it is something to do with how I am using my feed on the trike.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
Yebbut, your feet are elevated on a recumbent = less blood flow..?
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:01:40 pm »
Not something I generally suffer from, and when I do, it's usually on an upright (though I suspect that's more to do with what bike I tend to use in cold weather than anything geometry related).  +1 to loosening shoes for improved circulation, though.

Spinning a lower gear is probably a good idea for breaking the habit of pushing with both feet.  A bit of one-legged pedalling practice might help, also.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »
You may find if you use cleats that moving them right back towards the middle of your foot helps.
This may be a problem if you need to use them for an upright aswell though ;D

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »
only numb feet you should be so lucky <---------- :'(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2011, 06:10:31 pm »
I have experienced this at various times to a greater & lesser degree.I have not sussed a pattern or particular cause:however I can say with certainty that it is less frequent & less likekly to occurr when I use Shimano sandals with cleats.
The cleats on the sole of the sandal do not penetrate the sole in the same way that they do on other cycling shoes I use.

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:47:38 pm »
On the mtb I'd normally do the front two straps up so they're a close fit - I find on the recumbent I don't need them so tight, and if they are then I get numb toes, whereas left looser I don't.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »
I got this badly when I first started triking, particularly in my big toes. Gradually the time elapsed before it increased and now I almost never get it, even on 100 mile rides.  Think it's because my feet are up in the air and not moving about at all.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

tonycollinet

« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions all. I also got a call from Kevin with some useful advice. Will try it all step by step, and see what develops.

Cheers.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »
What was the advice?
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
only numb feet you should be so lucky <---------- :'(

Have you tried rubbing Deep Heat on them?

tonycollinet

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »
What was the advice?

Try my old pedals off the MTB (Looser fit)
Try my other shoes
Spin
Spin
Spin
Then change down a bit.
Some similar suggestions as above

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »
Take you feet off pedals and move them up and down close to the road .Lets the blood rush back in .
works for me.

tonycollinet

« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »
Better on today's ride (old looser pedals, and boot straps loosened slightly)

I have also learned the importance of accurate boom alignment to vertical. Hurts when it's not.