Author Topic: A Waterproof Jacket what packs small  (Read 3952 times)

A Waterproof Jacket what packs small
« on: 17 November, 2008, 08:12:06 pm »
I have my wonderful Montane Featherlite trews what are light and small packing and waterproof. (although only marketed as water resistant)
My Altura Night Vision jacket works very well but doesn't pack down small. Can anybody recommend a jacket suitable for 'benting that does pack small? I'd like it to breathe well and be totally waterproof. It doesn't have to be cycling specific; useable for walking would be a bonus.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: A Waterproof Jacket what packs small
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2008, 08:22:49 pm »
My wife has had a Berhaus Paclite jacket for a few years; it packs down to the size of a Coke can, is breatheable and waterproof, and well-made.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a Moulton-based tandem, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, and a Scott CR1 Comp.

byegad

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:04:42 pm »
Montane Featherlite smock. Rolls into its own bag about the size of a small orange and waterproof and breathable.

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2008, 10:08:13 pm »
Montane Featherlite smock. Rolls into its own bag about the size of a small orange and waterproof and breathable.

Thanks, do you have personal experience of this jacket?
I'm happy with the trousers but the range is marketed as water resistant rather than waterproof.

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2008, 10:11:43 pm »
Endura Superlite  :thumbsup:

byegad

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2008, 09:41:01 am »

I'm happy with the trousers but the range is marketed as water resistant rather than waterproof.

Yes I've had one for a year or so. It kept me dry last summer, 'nuff said?

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2008, 09:43:41 am »
The Montane H2O seems to be the Montane Featherlite with taped seams and a storm flap over the zip

I would say that would make a decent jacket and is the same price.

byegad

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:23:50 am »
The Montane H2O seems to be the Montane Featherlite with taped seams and a storm flap over the zip

I would say that would make a decent jacket and is the same price.

My Montane Featherlite is the SMOCK not the cycle jacket and has no zip.

Tiger

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:26:42 am »
Montanes were in TK Maxx for £10 last year.

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:28:17 pm »

Yes I've had one for a year or so. It kept me dry last summer, 'nuff said?
If it got through last Summer it's got to be good.  :D
Thanks

richie_b

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:02:53 pm »
Noodley
You're a bad man!  I want one of these now....
Is it made better than most of the Endura fray-at-the-seams-in-6-months sort of thing?  If it is, I might have one in black in a few weeks....

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:50:35 pm »

I just picked up an Adidas Goretex Paclite in the Portsmouth Store for £39!

« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »

I just picked up an Adidas Goretex Paclite in the Portsmouth Store for £39!

Visited the local TKMaxx today and no suitable jackets for me but got a good Marmot fleece at less than half price. Didn't really need that but I liked the colour ;)
The carry some quality makes. Are they are an end of line place? There was a strange mix of gear. I'll call in week by week.
Cheers

waxer

« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2008, 09:21:26 pm »
i have tried a number of the paclite jackets over the years and find them all a little warm even in the winter, this leaves me wet inside the jacket so when i stop i chill down quick. i met a guy on an audax at leicester also riding a bent and he was wearing a paramo velez smock jacket, i have since bought one as the leicester ride was a wet one. the jacket does not pack down very small at all but even thou i still get warm i can control my temperature better with all the zip on the jacket. i took this jacket on my cycle tour this summer around holland so that i had something warm if it turned cold and also something waterproof.
the paramo maybe a jacket that you could also use for walking.

« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2008, 09:24:38 pm »
Noodley
You're a bad man!  I want one of these now....
Is it made better than most of the Endura fray-at-the-seams-in-6-months sort of thing?  If it is, I might have one in black in a few weeks....

I have had mine for a year and a half and it is as good today as the first day I wore it.   :thumbsup:

(I have never had any problems with Endura, always found their stuff very good)