Author Topic: New tiller  (Read 3026 times)

New tiller
« on: 06 June, 2020, 11:15:29 am »
I have done this to the tiller on my speed machine

As it’s a fixed stem I was considering swapping it for a tiller that will rise (though if it can be fixed I might go for the cheapest option as I am both cash poor and a cheapskate).
As I’m in Brum I won’t be checking any of the options firsthand, so wondering what people would recommend.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Arellcat

• Velonautte
Re: New tiller
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:41:38 am »
Would this be of any use?  It's the official replacement for the original one that was recalled, the one that had the brake hose and gear cables running down inside it and was apparently a bit fragile. I never got round to fitting it to my own SpM.  It's shown here with the upper part at maximum safe extension.

Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:08:32 pm »
Yes, I think that would.

Mine was secondhand, didn't realise that the max extension was so low. (won't you get bar/knee interface?)
For comparison this was how mine was set up (IIRC I actually reduced the tiller length)

Mine has integrated bar/stem

So maybe the stem on mine is longer so can be extended more?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:46:25 pm »
You are lucky.  Mine snapped in the middle of the Tottenham one-way system and dumped me on the road in front of a lorry.  Fortunately one with an alert driver.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:49:40 pm »
Yes, very lucky, I had just planned to ride about the park this morning (there are a couple hills) and noticed it when I was about 2 min from home. 
I don't think that it helps that
I have a tendency to pull on the bars when climbing
I use the tiller to manhandle the bike about when moving it through the house.

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:11:37 pm »
Would this be of any use?  It's the official replacement for the original one that was recalled, the one that had the brake hose and gear cables running down inside it and was apparently a bit fragile. I never got round to fitting it to my own SpM.  It's shown here with the upper part at maximum safe extension.

I've a handlebar that looks as if it would fit that tiller and same shape as the one you have on your broken tiller if you need it.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:32:40 pm »
^ Why, yes.  Yes I do.

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2020, 07:36:46 am »
^ Why, yes.  Yes I do.

Any good?

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:10:08 am »
YHPM
(both of you'se ... no not you mr L)

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2020, 02:47:06 pm »
I have now fitted replacement tiller and new handlebars. 
Handlebars significantly rotated compared with previous, fixed, bars.  I think I have the tiller at max extension - about 2"/5.5cm (I didn't see a max extension mark).  Interestingly as a side effect of the new setup I have changed the cable arrangement, it's no longer wrapped to the tiller (floats above it) and as a fringe benefit the front derailleur works now!

difference in handlebar angle and stem length:

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2020, 12:09:23 pm »
The old bars were a Mike Burrows custom modification to improve aero efficiency when I raced the bike with BHPC. That's cycling history in your hands there, a future museum piece quite possibly.

Sorry to see the tiller snapped. Your new bars should give you a quite nice 'ape hanger' effect that feels a bit like riding a pedal powered harley davidson!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »
Aye, I shall hold on to them as they provide a good alternative (good enough for me for the last 5 years).  Apparently the tiller snapping is a feature!
Might try these handlebars next ...

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:04:28 pm »

Previously gear/brake cables were bar-wrapped to the tiller.  This was a very elegant and neat solution that stopped the cables slapping my legs.  New setup, sans wrap, has transformed shifting, with the front gears now working.
Now, need to learn how to bleed the rear brake hydraulics and check the brake pads.

« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 24 December, 2020, 04:38:03 pm »
I had a bit too much leg/bar interface so have swapped in some old north road bars, which definately don’t look very cool or fast.  Really what I need is to extend the tiller somehow.

« Reply #15 on: 24 December, 2020, 05:00:38 pm »
One solution that worked for me was to put a long reach quill stem into the tiller, with the stem pointing upwards to provide a bit more clearance for my legs.  Depends what the internal diameter of the tiller tube is of course.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.