Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 390976 times)

Wal

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #500 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:26:01 pm »
I agree, it should be emblazoned on the AUK home-page as a celebration of the new year ahead, kind of thing...

Last year was my first half season, I spent more time reading about audax rather than doing, however, I now feel better prepared for the new season ahead, but yes it should be well advertised on the AUK website!

W.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #501 on: 11 September, 2013, 06:50:22 pm »
The "when does the season start" question pops up so frequently, it makes me think AUK should put something on the front page of the website.  Or in an FAQ.
As a proper AUK pedant, I find the wording of your last sentence odd. Because there already IS an FAQ:
http://www.aukweb.net/faq.htm

Hope This Helps,
M :)

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #502 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:04:46 pm »
The Brevet 2/3/4000 awards are for rides of 100-200km (200s only for the 4000, AIUI).

Can a Calendar 200 with a 100 ECE count towards these, or does that have to be counted as a 300?

(I suspect the latter, but want to be sure).
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #503 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »
Am I being stupid?  The answer above said the season started on 1 October.

The FAQ posted by Mattc says 1 November.

Which is correct?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #504 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »
October - it's been brought forward by a month a couple of years ago apparently.

Season definitely ends end of this month. (Sept)

I recently wrote an article about audax for an online encylopedia and this confused the hell out of me too - but I checked Bikey Mikey's results as a reference seeing as he's a machine and the current season does date back to Oct 2012.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Reg.T

« Reply #505 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
Am I being stupid?  The answer above said the season started on 1 October.

The FAQ posted by Mattc says 1 November.

Which is correct?

Yes, Matt was pointing out the reference in the FAQ without highlighting that it is inaccurate. I'll leave it to the jury to decide whether or not this was done wilfully.

2010-11 was Nov-Oct (and prior years)
2011-12 was Nov-Sep (11 months)
2012-13 is Oct-Sep (the new standard season).

Reg.T

« Reply #506 on: 12 September, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »
ECE question: is it possible to use ECEs to join Calendar events?

For example, in 2013 The Dean 300 from Oxford was on a Saturday, and the LVIS Bristol rides were the next day. As a Bristol-based rider, that would create a potential 100 ECE + 300 Cal + 100 ECE + 200 Cal, so 700 overall, which would bring overall min speed down to 13.3, giving over 52 hours to complete. That would allow a Friday afternoon pootle up to Oxford and a decent sleep before the start. Sat night might have more limited sleep opportunities though.

Note: this is a theoretical question only ATM.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #507 on: 12 September, 2013, 06:13:56 pm »
Be aware the calendar events must be completed to the regular event schedule, i.e., a min of 15kmph.

And the next question would be, what if you DNS/DNF the LVIS event...

Reg.T

« Reply #508 on: 12 September, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
Yes, appreciate that the events must be done to their time limits.

I would assume that just the 300 would be validated (in the same way as an ECE 100 DNF after a successful Cal 200 would still count for 2 points). Asking for the ECE to be validated because it was finished would be asking too much (just as you can't get a 200 ECE to an event validated if you DNF the event).

Similarly, an Oxford based rider who finished both events but failed to get back home in time would get the 2 events validated.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #509 on: 12 September, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
New question, I am off to Majorca 8) at the end of october, not the best of times however, the weather there is almost certainly going to be better than here.
My questions are- A, are there any permanents out there?  B, If there are no permanents, can I do DIY? C, If I can do DIY who do I buy the cards off?

Many thanks, I will be based in pollensa, I have been 3 times before so know at least 3 good rides  100, 200 & 300 that would start my 2013/2014 season off really well  ;D

Manotea

« Reply #510 on: 13 September, 2013, 12:15:04 am »
I have no knowledge of organised island perms but diys would be fine.

Martin

« Reply #511 on: 13 September, 2013, 12:40:24 am »

yes it's techically possible; I can award an extra ECE distance; it does not have to be tied to just one event; just needs a start date for the whole ride

as Manotea says though make sure you factor in the calendar minimum speeds within the overall 14.3kph maximum

you can use both ECE legs as part of the same entry; they are linked to the same calendar event

I might need to run it past Mr W first please let me know your plan  :)

« Reply #512 on: 13 September, 2013, 12:49:11 am »

yes it's possible; I can award an extra ECE distance; it does not have to be tied to just one event; just needs a start date for the whole ride

as Manotea says though make sure you factor in the calendar minimum speeds within the overall 14.3kph maximum

Ooh - I vaguely contemplated this a little while ago, and had been meaning to ask.

On another note, can non-UK events be ECEd? (Specifically, Audax Ireland - my wife's mum's house is a convenient distance from the start of Dublin-based events, so when I get round to taking a bike over there I may be interested.)

« Reply #513 on: 15 September, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »
Does anyone have views or information on the rolling resistance of tyres?

My question is based on my PB time for a 200 km last Saturday on Mark Rigby's Mr Pickwick Goes to Hay in a Day, using new Schwalbe Marathon tyres instead of my normal Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which I have used for the last five years (bomb proof for me, not a single P******e in that time ).

Maybe I should upgrade again to a racing tyre and enter Le Tour!
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif

Reg.T

« Reply #514 on: 16 September, 2013, 04:33:07 pm »
Bump...
The Brevet 2/3/4000 awards are for rides of 100-200km (200s only for the 4000, AIUI).

Can a Calendar 200 with a 100 ECE count towards these, or does that have to be counted as a 300?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #515 on: 16 September, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »
Does anyone have views or information on the rolling resistance of tyres?
Definitely.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #516 on: 16 September, 2013, 08:08:06 pm »
Bump...

<notes plaintive bump>
I can't give an authoritative answer, but my educated guess:
It will count as a 200, cos you will get a 200 listed in your results. Unless the 'owner' of those awards is scanning all lists in detail, and is particularly harsh/pedantic (depending on your view)!

(Of course techically it is indeed a 300, so shouldn't count. :shrugs: )

IMHO if you are riding ECE300s, then worrying about awards for 100/200km is a bit irrelevant. But YMMV!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Manotea

« Reply #517 on: 16 September, 2013, 08:31:22 pm »

Well, the AUK website says: Brevet 2000.

"Carry on collecting 100s or 200s over as long a period as you like, and eventually you will have your Brevet 2000. That's 10 x 200km or 20 x 100km. Remember, you can't mix them, and you can't substitute longer rides."

So that seems fairly clear. Now it may be that the AUK website will automatically make the award but it seems a safe bet the relevant AUK website functions pre-date ECEs and have not been updated to check for this.

So if you do 19*200 and a 300ECE and find yourself with a Brevet2000, it is an error and you should report it as such. It's not a big deal because you'll get it next time out, as there are no time limits on the award. So the thing to do is  go ride another 200. You know you want to!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #518 on: 16 September, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »
You have to claim it unless you manage to knock them over within a single AUK season. Otherwise you won't get the award.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #519 on: 17 September, 2013, 08:49:43 am »
You have to claim it anyway.  There are no (public) website functions for B2000, 3000, 4000.
But AFAIK a 200+100 is correctly flagged as a 300 for SR purposes by the website.  The complexities introduced by ECE is the main reason the tables are now refreshed nightly instead of being calculated on the fly.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #520 on: 17 September, 2013, 09:51:47 am »
The complexities introduced by ECE is the main reason the tables are now refreshed nightly

Ongoing thanks to all involved!

« Reply #521 on: 17 September, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »
You have to claim it anyway.  There are no (public) website functions for B2000, 3000, 4000.
These awards aren't listed on the AUK website, but they appear in the Handbook (see pages 19 & 20 of 2013 Handbook) for awards earned entirely within the latest season, and I for one appear in them without having made a claim.

« Reply #522 on: 17 September, 2013, 07:00:52 pm »
These awards aren't listed on the AUK website, but they appear in the Handbook (see pages 19 & 20 of 2013 Handbook) for awards earned entirely within the latest season, and I for one appear in them without having made a claim.

That would mean that our Recorder, Allan, is checking through results manually.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #523 on: 18 September, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »
Actually it's me that has done that, over the past several years, and it only happens because a) I retain (possibly through a loophole) privileged access to the online database so it's actually a very easy query for me to execute, and b) I live with the Handbook editor.
So it's not really something that can be taken for granted, a change of Systems Manager could well lead to a denial of my access. 
I don't think Allan has any practical way of assembling these lists, I don't know if he keeps records of claimants but they would only be a tiny fraction of eligible people for these long-term awards.
I discussed with him the other day the possibility of removing these partial lists from the Handbook (I'm doing the Handbook this year as Sheila will be out of the country in November) - from my point of view they a) take valuable space and b) are somewhat invidious, being only partial lists.  However the upshot is, they will stay, for the next issue at least.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #524 on: 23 September, 2013, 07:59:36 pm »
3 questions (am I allowed)
Can I add rides completed prior to memebrship to my history and if "yes" how do I do it?
I have managed to get my randonneur 1000 and it's showing on my awards page, do I have to claim it? Is there a badge for this?