Author Topic: Test-riding a Milan on Friday  (Read 1750 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Test-riding a Milan on Friday
« on: 20 August, 2016, 11:31:10 am »
As mentioned in another thread, I'm in the market for n+1 with velomobiles.

Because of my disability (weak arm that doesn't bend properly) I have issues getting in and out of velomobiles such as the Quest, Strada etc. I have managed it once or twice but it's difficult and can be painful. A secondary issue (which I hadn't previously realised) is that tiller steering is uncomfortable because of the angle I have to hold my elbow. It complains. Plus my legs rub against the tiller (I am lardy).

Anyway, my friend Klaus has recently bought a Strada and another friend has also now got a Strada (I think velomobiel.nl should give me some commission) and we are riding together and these chaps are fast. I can just about maintain  26km/h average in Penelope if I really go for it, for them that is super-gentle cruising. Their speed is nearer 31km/h.

Some of that is that I am lazy, overweight and female, but Penelope's weight of 47kg (with tools etc) and relatively high centre of gravity which means speeds have to be reduced for cornering are also factors. Pedalling on the flat I can just about get her up to 40km/h but that's about the limit. Thus the search for another velomobile which is lighter and faster.

The Milan is very fast, the SL quicker than the GT (but the SL is too small for me). So I will test ride a GT on Friday and if I like it I will order a carbon one. It should weigh about 28kg in total which is clearly a big improvement over Penelope, as well as being a better shape for aerodynamics (enclosed wheels). The turning circle is a scary 12 metres (Penelope is 6 metres) which means lots of the German cycle paths aren't possible but then I am used to this. I will keep Penelope for local trips as she is really easy to use and I think she's great, but for longer faster trips I think n+1 VM is a good plan!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Test-riding a Milan on Friday
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2016, 12:40:32 pm »
I might be a tad dense but what has being female got to do with it, Barbara always comments "ooh, your male and stronger than me" then goes on to show me up terribly  :D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2016, 01:00:28 pm »
Generally speaking female's muscles are less strong (big generalisation, but that's why women and men don't race in the same races)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2016, 07:18:58 pm »
Generally speaking female's muscles are less strong (big generalisation, but that's why women and men don't race in the same races)

True at the extremes but a large overlap for us ordinary folk.