Author Topic: ACME Easter Arrow 2020  (Read 7010 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: ACME Easter Arrow 2020
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:14:16 pm »
I’m not doing an arrow this year as we finished with only fifteen minutes to spare last year and it was probably my fault

The essence of the arrow is to complete the distance using the whole 24 hours, so that's just about perfect!
Indeed. Riding faster would just mean longer stops. Arriving with much more than 15 minutes spare would lead to consideration of going past ans back again

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:23:14 pm »
Now then folks ... we need another captain! No reason why we shouldn't have two teams doing the same route, starting an hour apart. There's a possibility of meeting up half-way at the Pack Horse 'spoons in Sleaford. Starting from Witham or wherever suits Captain #2, 08:00/09:00/10:00 or on the half-hour depending on pre-ride breakfast options? I'm working on re-hashing fixed-friendly Fenland routes; easy night navigation etc.

So far we have:
Bernster
BFC
Grey Sheep
Josser [possibly]
jsabine
Tomsk
Nim
rob [possibly, subject to negotiations]
stefan [may be forming a Cambridge team]

- 9 including 3 maybes? Two teams of 3 definites, with the option of tacking one or two on? Meet up on a Wednesday evening or at a weekend soon - going to be difficult, what with all these audaxes to ride.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #27 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:48:21 pm »
Now then folks ... we need another captain! No reason why we shouldn't have two teams doing the same route, starting an hour apart. There's a possibility of meeting up half-way at the Pack Horse 'spoons in Sleaford. Starting from Witham or wherever suits Captain #2, 08:00/09:00/10:00 or on the half-hour depending on pre-ride breakfast options? I'm working on re-hashing fixed-friendly Fenland routes; easy night navigation etc.

So far we have:
Bernster
BFC
Grey Sheep
Josser [possibly]
jsabine
Tomsk
Nim
rob [possibly, subject to negotiations]
stefan [may be forming a Cambridge team]

- 9 including 3 maybes? Two teams of 3 definites, with the option of tacking one or two on? Meet up on a Wednesday evening or at a weekend soon - going to be difficult, what with all these audaxes to ride.

there are potentially 3 other Cambridge riders, but just expressions of interest rather than anything more definite at the moment. A catchup sounds like an excellent idea.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2020, 09:15:26 am »
A mid-week meeting might be tricky for the further-flung riders, but could be train assisted - I guess somewhere near the Cambridge-Liverpool Street line would be best?

Pick another evening in the next couple of weeks? Our favourite venue in the western sector and fairly train friendly via Sawbo/B Stortford would be The Cock, Hatfield Broad Oak. Not too far for those in the Witham/Chelmo area?

Non of the upcoming MEMWNS venues are out west, though I see the Orange Tree in Chelmo is down for next week [26th Feb]. Thoughts?

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2020, 08:43:39 am »
A mid-week meeting might be tricky for the further-flung riders, but could be train assisted - I guess somewhere near the Cambridge-Liverpool Street line would be best?

Pick another evening in the next couple of weeks? Our favourite venue in the western sector and fairly train friendly via Sawbo/B Stortford would be The Cock, Hatfield Broad Oak. Not too far for those in the Witham/Chelmo area?

Non of the upcoming MEMWNS venues are out west, though I see the Orange Tree in Chelmo is down for next week [26th Feb]. Thoughts?

It's looking more likely than not that we now have four or five riders for a Cambridge start. So why don't you pick the venue and time that suits you best and let us know. If one or two of us can get down to join you we will, and definitely keep in touch when we are finalising teams/routes.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:02:18 am »
Ok, we'll try a Wednesday evening meeting, first choice would be the Orange Tree, Chelmsford next week. I'll email the interested parties.

rob

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2020, 10:01:21 am »
I'll need to step down from this, I'm afraid.   I looked at the wall planner and realised I was away an awful lot in April and then a week in early May.   Easter will be a family weekend and, hopefully, a trip to the track for the Good Friday meeting.

Hope you all enjoy.   

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:38:14 pm »
I'll need to step down from this, I'm afraid.   I looked at the wall planner and realised I was away an awful lot in April and then a week in early May.   Easter will be a family weekend and, hopefully, a trip to the track for the Good Friday meeting.

Hope you all enjoy.

Ok rob, another time.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:14:38 pm »
I've got a provisional route to bring along for discussion on Wednesday.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:02:17 pm »
I've got a provisional route to bring along for discussion on Wednesday.  :thumbsup:
360 or 400K???
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #35 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:54:19 pm »
360 or 400K???

Dont forget you can ECE it up to distance  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 24 February, 2020, 10:26:03 am »
360 or 400K???

Currently working on 405km, plus some Tomsk 'bonus' - I reckon about 12km, mostly on Essex/Suffolk lanes to avoid the worst main roads. This may possibly get cut down a bit, with a bit more messing about with Mrs Google. There's the option of 372km for the brevet and 3 points: finishing at Howden, if things go pear-shaped - that'd leave 32km to York - bear this in mind with train bookings, though it may be possible to train it quicker from Howden. [In 2018's broken arrow, trains from Hull to York via Howden were off due to engineering work - so we had to tt it to York after abandoning at Swanland.]

« Reply #37 on: 24 February, 2020, 11:20:34 am »
360 or 400K???

Currently working on 405km, plus some Tomsk 'bonus' - I reckon about 12km, mostly on Essex/Suffolk lanes to avoid the worst main roads. This may possibly get cut down a bit, with a bit more messing about with Mrs Google. There's the option of 372km for the brevet and 3 points: finishing at Howden, if things go pear-shaped - that'd leave 32km to York - bear this in mind with train bookings, though it may be possible to train it quicker from Howden. [In 2018's broken arrow, trains from Hull to York via Howden were off due to engineering work - so we had to tt it to York after abandoning at Swanland.]

Ah I remember that well 24 hours of rain, but we did finish with awesome breakfast ...........

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:43:37 pm »
Ah 2018 when Prickwillow level crossing threw me onto the rails in the dark and wet.  Bleeding elbow, much blood loss, and retirement for me just south of Crowland.

I’ll follow the Easter Arrow through this thread as this year I’m doing a different ride over Easter. I do like the team element.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 25 February, 2020, 08:07:51 pm »
I've found a viable trim to most of the over-distance. I'll be watching the River Ouse levels - the A1123 at Earith Bridge was closed before Christmas, but is currently [just] above flood levels in the Ouse Washes. There's a diversion route via Sutton Gault [causeway/footbridge] and Chatteris to Ramsey that adds back about 6km ...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #40 on: 07 March, 2020, 10:47:13 am »
The Recidivists of ACME are going for a repeat of their 2018 [wet] Broken Arrow of 2018, [more beer, fewer miles].

I'm potentially in for this, depends on what else we're doing...

I wish to officially confirm my entry to Not The Arrow. I have booked a room at the Huntingdon ‘spoons. Do I need to register on-line or pay an entrance fee?  I do hope our route won’t be over distance!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #41 on: 07 March, 2020, 04:26:10 pm »
The Recidivists of ACME are going for a repeat of their 2018 [wet] Broken Arrow of 2018, [more beer, fewer miles].

I'm potentially in for this, depends on what else we're doing...

I wish to officially confirm my entry to Not The Arrow. I have booked a room at the Huntingdon ‘spoons. Do I need to register on-line or pay an entrance fee?  I do hope our route won’t be over distance!

Oppps... I appear to have done the same!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #42 on: 07 March, 2020, 05:14:56 pm »
Wicked!!!  I reckon we’re going to have a proper giggle. Dakota has just had a service and clean so I available if needs be but I might go fixed on BJ.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #43 on: 07 March, 2020, 05:28:09 pm »
I've not decided yet on which yet either
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #44 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:43:31 am »
If you're mourning your riding fix, a few of us are having a Zoom natter tomorrow evening at 6pm. Email me for a log-in lfitzpatrick01 @ g mail dot com.

Danial Webb will be on hand to update us all on LEL21 plans,
We'll quiz Jas Muller on keeping form during lockdown
Gracie Lamber Smith will be there dispensing her particular take on long distance rides and
Emily Chapple can tell us what she's reading while plotting her next adventure.

Just an hour of general chat and a chance to reconnect with the community - Zoom log in needed and places are limited but available from me by email.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #45 on: 09 April, 2020, 11:56:54 am »
Not sure how, but can it be recorded?
I'll be somewhere up a motorway at 7 tomorrow and the police don't like you watching TV while you drive  ;D
Sure I won't be the only one who would be interested in it  :)

« Reply #46 on: 09 April, 2020, 12:22:52 pm »
I'm very interested in attending, and have emailed LiamFitz.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

S2L

« Reply #47 on: 09 April, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
What? Nobody doing an arrow on their turbo trainer?

Phil W

« Reply #48 on: 09 April, 2020, 01:43:38 pm »
What? Nobody doing an arrow on their turbo trainer?

Mounted on the back of a lorry heading to York... ;D

« Reply #49 on: 09 April, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »
Not sure how, but can it be recorded?
I'll be somewhere up a motorway at 7 tomorrow and the police don't like you watching TV while you drive  ;D
Sure I won't be the only one who would be interested in it  :)

There is a record functionality which I used for something on Saturday... It's pretty horrible and generates a massive file.

We'll just have to do it again in a fortnight and have you as a guest speaker...