Author Topic: Dishwasher woe - is it the end?  (Read 13282 times)

Re: Dishwasher woe - is it the end?
« Reply #25 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:19:46 pm »
Marks electrical customer care is pants. (LG American fridge freezer of rants past.)

But IME Bosch’s is pretty good.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:26:41 pm »
Have to say I was suprised that a Neff dishwasher bought in 2000 was still going strong in 2020 when we sold the house (the only issue was that the little cupboard thing you put the tablet in didn't work - not a problem, you just chucked one in the machine and started it) - we also had Neff fridge/freezer and tumble-drier that lasted for the same period of time.

« Reply #27 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:28:20 pm »
Have had a Bosch dish washers for years and current series 6 model since 2016. Neff is a Bosch brand.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #28 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:08:31 pm »
Have had an AEG for yonks.  Did put a new tablet drawer in it a few years ago, but it just, well, works.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 08 September, 2021, 09:29:24 am »
Our recalcitrant Smeg seems to have come back to life, though it still occasionally seems to call it day mid-cycle (I suppose that's the Italian way). Not enough that we've got around to figuring out whether to try getting it fixed or replace it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2021, 08:41:58 am »
The salt warning light on our new dishwasher refuses to go out. I’ve bunged granular salt in “the instructions merely refer to “special salt” but do say don’t use tablets) and also read that on the first filling you should add water as well. The guy who delivered and installed it set it off in rinse mode but didn’t mention salt.

I’m less impressed with this Bosch than I was with the Miele that just died. The Miele’s trays rolled in and out perfectly smoothly. This one needs more of a shove.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:22:12 am »
The salt warning light on our new dishwasher refuses to go out. I’ve bunged granular salt in “the instructions merely refer to “special salt” but do say don’t use tablets) and also read that on the first filling you should add water as well. The guy who delivered and installed it set it off in rinse mode but didn’t mention salt.

I’m less impressed with this Bosch than I was with the Miele that just died. The Miele’s trays rolled in and out perfectly smoothly. This one needs more of a shove.

Might the new d/w require a few wash cycles before the salt light goes out?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2021, 10:53:24 am »

My ex took the Miele dishwasher with her when she left. I now have an AEG which in comparison is supremely shit. I can't justify throwing out a perfectly good functional appliance but it winds me up every time I use it.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:06:07 am »

So call an engineer to look at it. As for quality, I suspect the Bosch would be half the price of a Miele.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #34 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:12:14 am »

So call an engineer to look at it. As for quality, I suspect the Bosch would be half the price of a Miele.

Have you run a full wash cycle since you bunged the the salt in?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:21:26 pm »
The salt light eventually went out, but it took a few weeks!

I emailed MarksElectrical and their reply was to tell me to contact Bosch. As I understand it, my contract is with Marks Electrical and they should be arranging engineers, not sending me off to a 3rd party!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #36 on: 19 November, 2021, 09:52:40 pm »
I've had a call from the shallot who's looking after the house that the fridge-freezer has packed up.

It is about 4 years old and was DOA when first installed, they sent someone round who fiddled with the innards and got it working, it seems like the same fault has re-appeared.

Worth getting it fixed again, or just replace?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:29:42 pm »
I’d say it depends on the original price and how much fight you are prepared to put up.

Do you have broken appliance food insurance?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #38 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:42:45 pm »
I've had a call from the shallot who's looking after the house that the fridge-freezer has packed up.

It is about 4 years old and was DOA when first installed, they sent someone round who fiddled with the innards and got it working, it seems like the same fault has re-appeared.

Worth getting it fixed again, or just replace?
It's probably not the cooling circuit, or the original problem when first installed wouldn't have been fixable. If it's a thermostat, or fan or other bit of electronics, then a fix is probably relatively cheap and worthwhile.

If it's a frost free fridge freezer, it's worth turning it off for 48 hours to make sure that any ice has melted before trying again. If that fixes it, but the problem comes back within a couple of weeks, it's a problem with the defrosting part.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...