Author Topic: Transporting four bikes by car  (Read 2469 times)

Transporting four bikes by car
« on: 20 May, 2021, 11:56:34 am »
Planning ahead here, so sounding out the experts.   (Those with less than 100% expert rating are still welcome to respond.)

Sit rep: Car = Skoda Superb.  Passengers = 4 (two taking up more space than required due to silly car seat legislation).  Luggage space = full.

Requirements are to start carrying 2 adult bikes + 2 child bikes, with long term aspiration of 4 adult bikes.

Mrs Nutty doesn't want roof rack carrier as a) apparently it costs more on the ferry/tunnel, b) you can't get into car parks or any other height restricted area; and I am not sure either as I understand fuel economy is somewhat ruined.

I am not keen on rear screen racks as I've heard that they can break the tailgate/glass, and I have seen issues with towball racks where the reversing sensors are blocked/drivers misjudge/etc (Best was at Channel Tunnel car park last Summer where car A reversed into rear mounted bikes on another car) - my main fear however is that with 4 bikes behind a car I'd never fit into a supermarket bay as I'd block the road due to the overhang (I'm not sure re the additional cost on ferry/tunnel as I don't do the admin).

The car is already too long for a standard parking bay.  The car (currently) doesn't have a towball and I don't want one making the car longer.  I could look at a manufacturer folding one (if it can be retrofitted), or a removable one, but there is cost to consider.

This is a long term permanent plan, not a one off trip, so please don't say "use the train"  (last time we tried 4 people on a train is was a #f_ingNightmare)

Thoughts please.   What would you do?

Re: Transporting four bikes by car
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:09:37 pm »
I don't think you can get a rear screen rack capable of carrying 4 bikes, and I wouldn't want that much weight hanging off it anyway.   You could get what Thule call a roof basket and stack the bikes in a pile if you don't care too much about the paintwork, it could be slightly more aero and might fit on the train?

I'd definitely fit a detachable towbar and get a carrier - the parking bay thing will be a PITA on the way there & the way back but you can take it (and the towbar) off for the rest of the year!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:10:01 pm »
Towball rack is probably the best compromise, in spite of the disadvantages.  You only need it in place when you're transporting the bikes.

Or a trailer...

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:11:15 pm »
My previous car (Saab 9-3) was only about 6 inches shorter than yours and went on ferries with a tow bar rear rack (Thule Hang On 4) no problem. I don't remember it being close to not fitting in parking spaces. Plenty of people these days drive stupid pickup trucks that are far longer than any marked bay.

The car was old enough that I could get a towbar cheap off a scrap car and there were no warranty issues DIYing it.

Yeah you lose the reversing sensors, but I got round that by (secret insider tip) getting out to have a look.

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:14:36 pm »
Removable tow bar on Skoda not cheap. In excess of £500 by an indie and that is without the pukka Skoda wiring loom kit. Just possible that your motor is pre wired so check with dealer.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:27:06 pm »
I have a Skoda Superb and use a permanent towbar to mount a 4 cycle rack when needed.  I've done two trips to semaine federal in France from the UK via ferry with three adult bikes on the back with no issues.  The permanently mounted towbar doesn't present any issues during day to day driving.  Getting three adult bikes onto a 4 bike rack is a major issue, I'd never manage four with the current rack (which is supposed to take 4 bikes).  The problem with the rack is that the inter bike spacing is less that that required by handlebar to handlebar spacing, even with drop handlebars.  Two adult, two children's bike would be doable with care. 
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:45:25 pm »
Tow ball carriers are good for infrequent journeys, but a faff to use for everyday. Also expensive if you need to fit a towbar. You're best to get one that you can pivot and drop on the floor to open the rear hatch, but good luck if it has 4 bikes on. Will you get the cost back in fuel savings?

Roof bars are quick and easy to load bikes, relatively cheap, good for everyday journeys. I use mine a couple of times a week and for Audax and holiday use. I therefore leave them on the car. I've only been frustrated by a height barrier a couple of times and then I found another place to park nearby.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2021, 12:55:21 pm »
Roof bars are quick and easy to load bikes

If you're tall and the bikes aren't heavy.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2021, 01:11:10 pm »
I don’t think roof mounting makes much difference to fuel consumption, compared with tail mounted. It’s the height, the lifting on, that are the issues.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:05:14 pm »
I have a Superb and the removable tow bar was quoted as £600-800 depending on the bar brand, the cheaper quotes are lesser brands (same eu standard though) that might not be as slick to use as a better brand, and can have a visible bumper cut. I chose a Westfalia and the fitting is invisible when unused as the electrics swing out of the way into the bumper undercut.
The towbar is 'coded' to the car so when hitched the car doesn't throw a wobbler in reverse, the bulb warning is a dedicated symbol on the dash that shows connection, and also indicates the indication (IYSWIM). The coding also affects the way the emergency systems operate when towing a caravan. You might spend as much on a 4 bike rack too...

The over height charge on a ferry is not excessive for roof loads as it's mainly a filter to put you in the right part of the ferry (or Eurotunnel). Fuel consumption with a roof load will be higher but the dragonfly? splats are more of an issue  :sick:
Oh and if you managed to drive under a height barrier you can kill the bikes and the car too, one incident I know of not only killed a nice Skoda bike but also the Skoda car underneath (not me).

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:12:40 pm »
I don’t think roof mounting makes much difference to fuel consumption, compared with tail mounted. It’s the height, the lifting on, that are the issues.

Roof bar cost you about 5 mpg compared with tow bar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:44:39 pm »
I'd doubt it was that much. I notice a difference between bike in the boot and on the roof of my Insignia estate, but I don't think it's 5 mpg. Admittedly the rack is there whether or not the bike is so it's not quite a direct comparison.

I'll have to experiment next time I do a decent trip with the bike and work it out
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2021, 02:46:35 pm »
Tow bar mounted every time - stable, easy to load, secure, minimal change if any on fuel consumption - and you can get them to tilt down to open the boot.  Thule is the only brand I'd look at after some experience with others (the rack I have has been used on 4 vehicles with towbars - Discovery, Skoda and two Dacia Dusters)

Towbars (rigid type) can be fitted to most cars for about £200 (that's not the "official" manufacturer model - but will be fine - the kits are warranted for towing etc.) - the additional length of the towbar is minimal, and if you're paranoid about it you an remove the bolt-on ball when you're not using the rack.   My towbar was fitted to a new car, Dacia Duster, in about 90 minutes including the wiring etc . . .  and the fitter was mobile, came to me.

The added length to the car you just get used to - I have a printed card that I slip into the little plastic parking ticket clip on the RH side of the windscreen that says "BIKE RACK ON"  (I also have a "BIKES ON TOP <height>" card that I use on the rare occasion I use the roof bars and bike racks.   As suggested roof loading is awkward . .  and I'm about 6'4" and it's still a challenge.

Yes, reversing sensors don't work very well (or rather they do work becuase they can see the bike rack) and the reversing camera has to peer through the bikes - but again no big deal - these features are things we managed without for years, so what's the problem?

Security is good as a) most racks have a keyed locks on the knobs, and b) a cable and padlock through the frames is simple to do.

The only minor downside of a towball rack is that the bikes will get a bit dirty if it's raining and the spray/muck gathers behind the car at speed.

Finally - hatch/rear window racks should be banned ( I believe they are on motorways in Spain) . . .   having seen a car lose 3 bikes off the back on a very busy M6 wasn't funny.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:23:44 pm »
Roof mounted bikes at autoroute péages may cause the ticket to come out of the machine at lorry driver height. DNAMHIKT  :facepalm:

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:28:29 pm »
Roof mounted bikes at autoroute péages may cause the ticket to come out of the machine at lorry driver height. DNAMHIKT  :facepalm:

;D

Sorrynotsorry...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:08:06 pm »

Another thing to watch (in France at least, IMO) is that the height signs on the approach to underpasses are not always accurate and the fact that you have cleared the hanging barrier before the tunnel entrance is no guarantee that you will clear the roof of the tunnel.

I have learned this the hard way  :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2021, 08:54:06 pm »
I've carried bikes in pretty much every way known to man. My favourite was using roof rack fittings on top of a camping trailer - I could get 6 bikes on that at a convenient height and with no risk of hitting car park height limiters... However, getting a trailer to achieve bike carrying nirvana might be a bit OTT! So I'd echo the opinions above: Thule towbar rack.

I still have a hankering for the Sky F-Type with the TT bikes mounted in recesses in the back window.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2021, 09:39:18 pm »
I use both roof mounted and tow-bar mounted.
It's a Discovery, so roof-mount is a bit of a clamber, but OK for just one bike.

The tow-bar rack is big and heavy, and takes a fair bit of effort to haul it out of the garage and get it mounted.
And then, it blocks access to the tailgate.
Yes, it can flap down, but not easily when loaded, and not enough to gain access.

I will use the towbar mount rack for single big journey with 2+ bikes, eg going to a holiday destination, where I can then remove the rack and store it for the return journey.

Otherwise, if it's 2 bikes or fewer, it's too much faff and I'll just chuck them on the roof carriers which are always there.
I *can* fit more that 2 on the roof, but that involves actually climbing up onto the roof; the 2 outermost ones can be done by standing on the rear seats.

So it's just whatever works best for you.

« Reply #18 on: 20 May, 2021, 09:56:42 pm »
Skoda Superb estate owner here. Fitted non-folding tow bar as soon as we got it (we tow boats too). Bought an Atera three bike rack with extender so it can take four bikes. With a bit of thought I can happily get four adult road bikes on it. It slides away from the hatch so you can get it open, but putting it back with four bikes on does require a bit of a heave. If parking somewhere it's not too hard to find somewhere that doesn't cause an issue.

It's been up and down the country with four bikes and is about as close to pain free as it's possible to get I reckon.

Happy to demo should you find yourself in sunny SW London.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2021, 11:48:37 pm »
Atera. Thanks for the memory jog. That's the bike rack I have. 3 bike with a 4th bike extender. I absolutely refute that you can get four adult bikes on the thing. And believe me I've tried. More than once. Very hard trying.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2021, 11:59:48 pm »

;D

Sorrynotsorry...

:P

Thankfully we didn't have a long queue of impatient French drivers behind us when it happened the first time.

« Reply #21 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:09:12 am »
Atera. Thanks for the memory jog. That's the bike rack I have. 3 bike with a 4th bike extender. I absolutely refute that you can get four adult bikes on the thing. And believe me I've tried. More than once. Very hard trying.
It's a bit Tetris, but we have managed it. Possibly with a saddle raising or a handlebar rotation.
Rust never sleeps