Author Topic: Hubless bicycle  (Read 3109 times)

Hubless bicycle
« on: 12 July, 2021, 06:04:46 pm »
Apologies for the annoying advert in the middle of it, but I just stumbled across this and I want one.  Not sure if it has been spotted or discussed in here yet.

A home built (or converted) hubless and spokeless fat tyred bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUrJhet-1M

Re: Hubless bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:33:27 pm »
It only has one brake and it’s the wrong side of a chain tensioner. Ergo when you brake the tensioner binds or snaps off and you have no brakes.

No wonder the test videos are short, slow and all in a flat park.

By all means get one NC.

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:17:24 pm »
Just because that particular one has design flaws doesn't mean that the next one won't.

It's the whole hubless idea that I'm attracted to.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:27:36 pm »
Wonder what it's like descending Suicide Hill at 60 mph?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2021, 11:36:08 pm »
So needs tyre levers and a couple of spanners to fix a flat.

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2021, 04:15:22 pm »
Best hope that rim stays true.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2021, 04:25:59 pm »
It's the whole hubless idea that I'm attracted to.
Which this video tells us nothing about. The point of it seems to be to make a video. Further research required.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:51:27 am »
It makes a hell of a racket, and racket = power loss. He's adding in a bunch ball races and an extra transmission stage. Daft.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:17:50 am »
Franco Sbarro came up with this as a concept about forty years ago.
It rears its head every decade or so, usually as a design student project.
Whilst aesthetically interesting, it has never made its way into meaningful production.
I wonder why that might be?

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:20:51 am »
I don't understand what problem this solves.
There are a load of negatives (it's much less efficient, it's vulnerable to damage (and dirt), it has broken brakes (though a regular rim brake would work fine if there was somewhere to put it) etc), but what's the positive?

« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:24:05 am »
You don't kill squirrels in your spokes?

I just don't see the point. And, the XL wheelbase makes the back end ugly.

« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:25:54 am »
It's designed to look good in a Youtube thumbnail. Which it appears to be doing an excellent job of.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2021, 12:32:14 pm »
Just because that particular one has design flaws doesn't mean that the next one won't.

Same can be said of indicator lights for cyclists... and indeed countless other ideas that sound great until more closely scrutinised (let's not even mention the H-word).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 14 July, 2021, 04:18:30 pm »

Same can be said of indicator lights for cyclists... and indeed countless other ideas that sound great until more closely scrutinised (let's not even mention the H-word).

Indicator lights solve a problem, though (making traffic signals without using your arms).  It's just difficult to engineer them in a way that works on a typical bicycle that isn't more trouble than it's worth unless you have a disability and don't have the option.

The same can be said for the H-word, though you could reasonably argue about what particular problem they're [trying to] solve, and how well they manage it.

Hubless wheels are in the looks cool / because you can category.  Which is fine.  See also: Tallbikes, pedal-powered smoothie blenders.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2021, 04:30:48 pm »
It's just difficult to engineer them in a way that works on a typical bicycle that isn't more trouble than it's worth

That was my point, really.

All these brainwaves... the first thing the inventor should do before even thinking about building their prototype is check to see how many times it's been attempted before, and then ask themselves why previous attempts have never succeeded.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2021, 04:46:51 pm »
You don't kill squirrels in your spokes?

On the last climb of one 400 I was so knackered that a butterfly went through my front wheel undamaged. 36 spokes at that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 14 July, 2021, 04:48:37 pm »
All these brainwaves... the first thing the inventor should do before even thinking about building their prototype is check to see how many times it's been attempted before, and then ask themselves why previous attempts have never succeeded.

I'm never quite sure about that bit.  I mean, I've come up with good ideas, got a partway through an implementation, and then discovered something that solves the same problem that I hadn't previously found because of unintuitive naming, poor documentation or whatever.  Happens all the time in software.

Also, it's something of a truism that Young People aren't half as good at using the internet as we expect them to be.  They might just be crap at research.

But I can't help wondering if you've got this neat idea for an Innovative Design Project, it's best not to bother and plough on regardless.  They don't seem to lose many marks for lack of originality, or indeed engineering common sense.

I'd have a lot more respect for them if they just said "hubless bikes are silly, but they look awesome, and we're going to molish one..."; "we've been playing with blinkenlights, and had a go at fitting some to a bike helmet..." or "we're so amazingly primitive that we still think bluetooth-enabling things so they can be controlled by an app is a pretty neat idea"

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 14 July, 2021, 05:03:28 pm »
I think in this case, the chap has just built himself a hubless bike for the fun of it, as an exercise in engineering - I doubt he imagines it has any commercial potential.

Taken in that way, it's pretty cool, and fun - if pretending to be Tron is your idea of fun.

Maybe one day, someone will truly reinvent the wheel. But to answer nutty's point, I think it's a pretty safe bet the next one will have design flaws too.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #18 on: 14 July, 2021, 07:35:27 pm »
The problem with developing improvements to the bicycle is that the safety bicycle is pretty much perfect in terms of material efficiency and power usage. Those of us of a ‘bent persuasion believe that our particular vice improves one or two minor issues with the DF but we pretty much stick to the wheel and drive train designs of old.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:45:41 pm »
Most cycle innovation mostly seems to be driven by new technologies, not re-application of the old ones.

Most recently that's been electronics (decent batteries making electric assist practical, LEDs making lights that are actually good, GPS for all the stuff we use that for).  Before that mostly innovations in materials making new approaches possible - everything from belt drive through monocoque frames to pneumatic tyres.

The exceptions tend to be away from traditional safety bicycles, where there isn't a century of experience to build on.  Tadpole trikes that don't brake-steer, no-squat suspension, myriad clever ways to make a folding bike, that sort of thing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2021, 04:33:23 pm »
It's not actually 'hubless' though, is it?  All he's really done is make the hub only a little smaller than the rim.  But it is still effectively a hub.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #21 on: 29 July, 2021, 05:22:11 pm »
I'm glad we've stopped punching down at last. Some indivdual has a go at something sufficiently hard none of us have ever done it and the first thing we do is jump down his throat about how pointless and bad it is. It might be, but that's really not the point.

Let a thousand flowers bloom and one of them may be genuinely unexpected. And that's still progress.
Cruzbike V2k, S40