Author Topic: Jack Thurston at PBP  (Read 2482 times)

Jack Thurston at PBP
« on: 10 October, 2023, 11:20:36 pm »
As I was getting on my bike, after picking up my packet for PBP, I happened to overhear Jack Thursdon being interviewed on camera about his participation in the ride.  Even though I am an American, I had listened to all of Thurstion's "The Bike Show" epidsodes, including two he did on PBP after the 2011 iteration (the first one I did).  So, recognizing his vboice, I briefly introduced myself.  I assumed that the interview would be part of a video account of his participation in the event, but I haven't been able to find either a finished product or an announcement of one forthcoming.  And I don't think he has done a new installment of "The Bike Show" since 2021 (and they were very occasional in the years before that). 

Does anyone know of a project he has forthcoming that will feature PBP?  I really like his approach to cycling, and will watch or listen to anything he does.
Bill Watts

Re: Jack Thurston at PBP
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2023, 07:47:35 am »
Oh that's interesting, If it's the same Jack Thurston, he finished in 77hrs. [By my standards, that's very good indeed].
Rather judgementally, I kind of surprised, only because I didn't have him down as somebody ever interested in doing those kind of distances.
But no, sorry I haven't seen anything being put out by him....but i'll keep a look out.
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2023, 07:51:50 am »
HK and I were on those 2011 PBP Bike Shows. Jack wanted to mark a ‘zero birthday’ this year and he’d been tempted by PBP for quite a while. I think he was amongst a few riders profiled for a GCN+ feature but I am not sure if that feature has been released yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2023, 08:23:59 am »
Thanks for the in insights into the Bike Show episodes. I didn’t know they went back so far and have just loaded up my podcast app with some that I’m looking forward to listening to over 10 years behind!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2023, 09:37:17 am »
Listen out for a mention of YACF.

« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2023, 11:12:01 am »
It was the Jack Thurston and he did do PBP this year according to his Twitter feed. Whether it’s to do with the return of his Bike Show Podcast, I don’t know.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2023, 08:07:00 pm »
The PBP film featuring Jack Thurston has just been released today, only on the GCN+ subscription service only though.

Here is the trailer, looks very good!

https://youtu.be/lryzaG8ypG8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

felstedrider

« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2023, 08:57:43 pm »
That brought back some fond memories from of my Summer.  Cold weather and a bad back have done for me for a few weeks.

« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:13:51 pm »
Just watched it (https://plus.globalcyclingnetwork.com/watch/5235507). Enjoyed it thoroughly. I think it captures well the essence of PBP. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:07:36 pm »
Dominique Lamouller started PBP23 in a UAF PBP Audax jersey, which is a bit of a brag. He has completed several PBP Audax in addition to many PBP Randonneur. The PBP Audax has been running for as long as PBP Randonneur on a slightly different route, riding in a group to a schedule. Amongst French riders, completing PBP Audax is highly prized, arguably more so than PBP Randonneur. HK and I have completed 2 x PBP Audax so far.

Dominique is a good bloke all round and a lovely smooth rider. He was on a tandem with his brother for PBP15 while I was tandeming it with Aussie George.

PBP is a real family affair for the Lamouller clan. I didn’t know that his son had such an impressive palmares and started PBP23 as a vedette.

There are so many aspects of PBP, there is never time to show all of them. At PBP19, Dominique had a domestique leading him round, his daughter Alexandrine. HK and her were the first ever women to be captains at PBP Audax, in 2011. Alexandrine rode PBP23 with her husband for her 4th PBP Randonneur.

Alexandrine’s daughter was one of a few girls who rode the 'PBP des Jeunes' (also known as 'Souvenir Emile Guiffan') which finishes in Rambouillet on the same day as PBP Randonneur does. Another girl was the first non-French rider to do the event; the daughter of a good friend of ours. There is only ever one opportunity for anybody to claim this brevet and very few ever get the chance to enter (35 starters in 2023).
https://cyclotourisme-mag.com/actus/paris-brest-paris-des-jeunes-2023-un-defi-cyclotouriste-a-la-portee-des-jeunes/
http://cyclotourisme-auvergnerhonealpes.fr/jeunes/dossier_de_presse_PBP_jeunes_2023.pdf

Amy’s husband, Kyle, needed to get his gears fixed at Huttopia the day before starting PBP and they seem to have held up just fine. I recall Amy not looking forward to riding back to the ferry with the Derby Mercury after PBP.

« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2023, 11:52:46 am »
Through the kindness of a friend, I was able to watch the GCN+ film, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It does an excellent job of representing the range of experiences riders have on the route.  I especially like that it included interviews with Amy Hudson, a young English rider.  I became aware of Hudson, and her YouTube series, Amy's Cycling Adventures, shortly after I completed PBP this year.  She brings a wonderful spirit to the sport and also has much to say about cycling and mental health.

It seems a pity, though, that the film is only available to GCN+ subscribers, and, because the network is going away, it is no longer possible to subscribe.  Thsi film really does deserve a wider audience, especially among those of us who are devoted to PBP (I've done it four times, and will continue doing it so long as I can keep myself upright).  Does anyone know what the future of the GCN+ archive will be?  I also noticed that Thursdon has done a series on slow cycling for them, and I would like to be able to watch that too.

Bill Watts
Bill Watts

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2023, 10:15:49 pm »
It is not clear yet what is going to happen with the GCN+ documentaries.

I'm betting (total speculation here) on GCN moving them to a different platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) and offering them under some kind of payment program (Buying, renting, subscription). I wouldn't discard them producing more documentaries in the future in that approach is successful, although I would think it would be at a slower rate than the one documentary a week they currently are producing.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #12 on: 14 December, 2023, 12:36:05 am »
OT Congratulations on your ride Javier!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #13 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:57:39 am »
Thanks cygnet. Appreciate it.