Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628563 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2375 on: 13 October, 2012, 04:33:17 pm »
30 miles east of you, we've had no rain all day.
It was rather cold but clear this morning.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2376 on: 13 October, 2012, 04:47:44 pm »
Lots of sun earlier in Hertford, after a cold ?frosty night.  But we've been rained at this afternoon.  I'm hoping for clearer weather tomorrow for packing up and riding.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2377 on: 14 October, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »
I am mightily pissed off with this fecking cold.

It started Thursday night, which was when we arrived, and every night I have been unable to sleep properly. Last night I was so congested Ibthought I was drowning. Tonight I have benn imbibing plenty of wine, a large whisky (Oban) and somehow a camembert disappeared. We go home tomorrow so I can get better.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2378 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:12:22 am »
When bobb arrived on Wednesday he had a cold. Now we both have it.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2379 on: 15 October, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
My midday student's not turned up - after I rearranged the appointment for her last week cos she didn't check how long it'd take to get to us...  I'd done loading data into brain and reading of her file and everything.  Am annoyed about that.  The other one due in today at least emailed to rearrange and has a plausible for them excuse.

Outlook keeps flashing up that it can't connect to the sodding notwork.  My boss's computer hung for 45s waiting for a single webpage.  Getting fucking silly now. I can do some work without it, but not quickly or well.  Restarting it seems to have helped for now.

I feel like shit, slept badly and now I hurt all over and can't think straight.  My working memory's shot to hell which is going to make answering shouty student's email difficult cos it's complicated funding bollocks and I can't get anyone to answer me. 

CBA! 

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2380 on: 18 October, 2012, 12:35:15 pm »
Listening to Radio 5 Live in the kitchen the other evening I spent a fair time growling at the brain-off-mouth-wide-open presenting style.
 - a sports reporter talking about the pitch before the Poland - England foopball game: 'It's patchy in places.' Really? Not patchy all over?
 - talking about some baking programme to the owner of a celebration cake shop, when asking about which cake he would advise novices to bake & he had replied about simple recipes: 'But sometimes it's the simple recipes that are the most difficult.'
 - talking to the same cake shop owner: 'Which event is the most popular reason for customers ordering a cake?' 'Birthdays', he replied. Who'd have thought it? It's not as if there are more birthdays than any other routine celebration.  ::-)

Where I made my first mistake was actually listening to it instead of letting it wash over me.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2381 on: 18 October, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
Try Radio 4 instead.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2382 on: 18 October, 2012, 12:42:48 pm »
Listening to Radio 5 Live in the kitchen the other evening I spent a fair time growling at the brain-off-mouth-wide-open presenting style.
 - a sports reporter talking about the pitch before the Poland - England foopball game: 'It's patchy in places.' Really? Not patchy all over?
 - talking about some baking programme to the owner of a celebration cake shop, when asking about which cake he would advise novices to bake & he had replied about simple recipes: 'But sometimes it's the simple recipes that are the most difficult.'
 - talking to the same cake shop owner: 'Which event is the most popular reason for customers ordering a cake?' 'Birthdays', he replied. Who'd have thought it? It's not as if there are more birthdays than any other routine celebration.  ::-)

Where I made my first mistake was actually listening to it instead of letting it wash over me.

IMHO, Radio 5Live is now awash with cheap vox pops and second rate journalism. Your examples are typical of a day's programming quality. The standard of "debate" in the 606 phone-ins after games is sub-local radio for much of the time.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2383 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »
Crossing St Leonards today outside the polis station, pressed the button at the crossing, waited til the light turned red. Silver hatchback Y408 CDS with green P plate on the back had been waiting to pull out of St Leonards Lane, took advantage of the red light to pull out, turned right to head towards the Pleasance, and proceeded to - well, proceed right through the red light and almost hit me as I crossed. Luckily he was going very slowly. He seemed utterly bewildered by my anger and unparliamentary language; didn't seem to have any idea that he'd just gone through the red light he knew was red because he'd used it to get out of the side street.

As I finished bawling at him about handing his licence back, two polis officers appeared from the police station so I hailed them from across the road, told them I'd nearly been hit by this muppet going through a red light at the crossing - and they told me they were off to court so to report it at the station. So I did. Where they took the details, gave me an incident form and pointed out they wouldn't be doing anything without witnesses. *sigh*

fuzzy

« Reply #2384 on: 18 October, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
Whereas today, as I drove to a station I don't usually work at, I was adjacent to a dumb cow driver negotiating many a roundabout whilst gassing on her mobile phone. The last roundabout we had to negotiate was adjacent to the police station- a fact she appeared not to be aware of. I spied many a colleague crossing the road and for some reason or other my car made a strange, loud noise. Dumb cow failed to drop her iPhone wotever before pedestrian colleague saw her after wondering WTF the noisy car was ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2385 on: 18 October, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
I need reading glasses.  Ho hum.  My employer will pay for them, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2386 on: 18 October, 2012, 06:04:42 pm »
Did he get her bang to rights? Is she going daaaaaaaaaaahn?

LindaG

« Reply #2387 on: 18 October, 2012, 06:15:01 pm »
Those antibiotics I was on were Wrong, apparently.  This explains a few unpleasant things.

So now I'm going to have to take another lot.  For a week.  And they're cephalosporins.  Hmph.   >:( >:( >:(

fuzzy

« Reply #2388 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:46:46 am »
Did he get her bang to rights? Is she going daaaaaaaaaaahn?

She certainly got a 'tug' 8)

Marco Stefano

« Reply #2389 on: 19 October, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
Try Radio 4 instead.  :thumbsup:

Radio 4 or 4 Extra are my defaults. Occasionally Jazz FM ('Nice.').

5 Live is Mrs Marco's default in the kitchen (she loves sport) but she only tunes her ears in when she wants to listen to something, then tunes out again, whereas I constantly gnash teeth & mutter in the background. Luckily, she draws the line at 606, since we are solely a house of the ovoid ball. And we cannot stand the constant whining about how their foopball team deserved to win, despite scoring fewer goals than the opposition (sorry, no points for artistic interpretation, go away).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2390 on: 19 October, 2012, 12:42:18 pm »
I used to listen to Radio 4 all day and all night (World Service).  Now, I listen to 4Extra as well (especially 1900-2000 and 2200-0000 for comedy), R2 for PopMaster, Johnnie Walker, Paul O'Grady etc, 6Records for RadMac, and Absolute Classic Rock, or Planet Rock for washing up.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2391 on: 19 October, 2012, 02:16:56 pm »
My employer has decided to push that helmets must be worn in their weekly saftey brief (again) yet lights on bikes only should be used. They've finally got me annoyed enough to bite, so I've just asked for the Risk Assessment completed to determine these two site rules and enquired whether the company consider helmets PPE. :demon:

{eta}I've already received a phone call and my email has been sent to the head of conventional safety. Interesting.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2392 on: 19 October, 2012, 02:34:15 pm »
My employer has decided to push that helmets must be worn in their weekly saftey brief (again) yet lights on bikes only should be used. They've finally got me annoyed enough to bite, so I've just asked for the Risk Assessment completed to determine these two site rules and enquired whether the company consider helmets PPE. :demon:

Pretty rough place of employment if helmets are needed in meetings.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Marco Stefano

« Reply #2393 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »
I used to listen to Radio 4 all day and all night (World Service).  Now, I listen to 4Extra as well (especially 1900-2000 and 2200-0000 for comedy), R2 for PopMaster, Johnnie Walker, Paul O'Grady etc, 6Records for RadMac, and Absolute Classic Rock, or Planet Rock for washing up.

Does that make it quicker?

LindaG

« Reply #2394 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »
I don't wanna go work  :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2395 on: 19 October, 2012, 05:51:31 pm »
I listen to rock music while washing up, as the drierperson and I share a love of it which surpasses that of the other members of the household.
Getting there...

« Reply #2396 on: 20 October, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »

{eta}I've already received a phone call and my email has been sent to the head of conventional safety. Interesting.

You have a Head of Unconventional Safety?  ;D

(Of course, I think I know what you mean, knowing where you work...)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2397 on: 20 October, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
Ingleton YHA is closed on Thursday. When I looked two weeks ago to plan my coast to coast to catch the choir members who started hiking yesterday it was going to be open.

so B&B it is.

Further Scarborough YHA is full grr. I should have booked ahead earlier.  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2398 on: 20 October, 2012, 11:16:48 pm »
B0rked my wrists with too much upwrongular off-roading.  Going to have to keep the typing down until i can feel my fingers properly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2399 on: 21 October, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »
Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I really feel the proper place for young couples who wish to straddle and grope each other should be a park bench rather than the end of the slow lane at the swimming pool. At the very least, they could have moved into the unlaned bit to get out of the way of swimmers.