Author Topic: A Pair of Kirtons 600  (Read 5634 times)

A Pair of Kirtons 600
« on: 13 March, 2019, 08:26:04 pm »
I see that the Plains 300, a fine offering from Peak Audax, is now closed to the further entries.  I've also closed the Llanfair PG 400, which has disappointed a few would be riders, so here is fair warning - the Pair of Kirtons 600 is filling up fast and I'll be putting the stop on that when the last 4 places get taken.

I blame that French affair for generating all this interest.

Re: A Pair of Kirtons 600
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up. Now entered.

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:32:58 pm »
Although this is a ride I would have entered, the hospital where my wife works has changed the holiday booking system so she doesn't yet know which weekends in June she's working :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:08:46 am »
I've volunteered to stamp Brevet cards at the Green Dragon in Welton again. Hope you get nice sunny weather.

I plan to do the helpers ride and not fail as badly as last time. If there are other control volunteers thinking of a helper ride it could be good to talk about a group ride.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:16:35 pm »
I can feel a pint of bitter(shandy) coming on at the green dragon again 🍻🙃💨

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
I've now closed my Pair of Kirtons.  I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere, but it's not funny if you wanted to ride this as a PBP qualifier.

I've checked out bits of the route today, particularly around Donington services where there has been some road changes since last time, but it all look as if it needs very little change to the route sheet.

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:36:12 am »
Oh no! I've got a couple of friends who were planning on entering, Kurt 'n' Rod, not sure if they will be able to get a brevet card now? Anyhow, I've told them they'll have to just pull themselves together next time.

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »
...  they'll have to just pull themselves together next time.

I saw what you did there

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2019, 01:45:50 pm »
I've volunteered to stamp Brevet cards at the Green Dragon in Welton again. Hope you get nice sunny weather.

Sunny like this you mean?

:thumbsup:

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »

Sunny like this you mean?

:thumbsup:

It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. I'm also hoping to do a helper ride version without DNF this year. I found riding much tougher than stamping cards.

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2019, 10:10:24 pm »
Gosh.  Am I spoiling my riders?  We've got deluxe accommodation at the start, with a church hall booked for the Friday night.  I've also booked the same hall from 2pm Sunday, although I expect fast riders might beat me back from Corby Glen.  Not to worry, I'll make some provision for them.  We've got the finish control booked until 10pm, so there's an opportunity for the riders (and me!) getting some rest before setting of home, but there is no post-ride overnight stop.

The mid-ride sleep stop at Corby Glen is going to be a tight squeeze as I calculate there's room for half the number of beds as riders.  I'll have some tents there to give me more lying-down space but the bed times are going to have to be rationed.  I hope it's not a cold night.  But it's a qualifier, right?  It's just a training ride for the 1200k main event, right?

I just hope I can get enough sleep on Friday night to allow me to drive to Corby Glen for the overnight control, and to drive back for the finish control.

By the way, there's no chance of anyone on the waiting list to get a ride.

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:21:56 am »
Entries for this 600 have temporarily been reopened to replace a few recent drop outs

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2019, 02:59:39 pm »
Damn. Would love to have ridden this year's edition but sadly the wife is having to work on Saturday :-(

« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2019, 09:28:26 am »
There are 49 starters heading off into the rain.  39 DNS

« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2019, 09:59:24 am »

Crikey!
Proper audax weather out there up north today.
Garry Broad

« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2019, 10:33:39 am »
39 DNS?!?!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2019, 10:37:35 am »
A combination of folk entering a backup 600 for PBP but qualifying with their first 600 (no need to do another) and a not-particularly nice forecast. I prefer entering the second qualifier only after DNFing the first (feels more polite) but some events sell out months beforehand, so the panic sets in.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:01:28 am »
I prefer entering the second qualifier only after DNFing the first (feels more polite) but some events sell out months beforehand, so the panic sets in.

I'm  the same, though I'm sure Wobbly told me shortly after I'd abandoned WCW, that if I contacted a 600 organiser explaining I needed it for a PBP qualifier, they'd find space. Not that I was particularly receptive at the time!

Anyway I'm one of those weird folk who does better when it is cool and rains.

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:04:13 am »
I suspect the Fenland friends is going to be busy! Mind you I was very glad to have a back-up when I packed on the Southern Shires due to weather,  mainly wind. I have come to the conclusion not to.cycle if it's weather l wouldn't go sailing in.
Reine de la Fauche

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:26:27 am »
I prefer entering the second qualifier only after DNFing the first (feels more polite) but some events sell out months beforehand, so the panic sets in.

I'm  the same, though I'm sure Wobbly told me shortly after I'd abandoned WCW, that if I contacted a 600 organiser explaining I needed it for a PBP qualifier, they'd find space.

This is almost always true, even if entries have officially closed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20 on: 09 June, 2019, 10:17:33 am »

That is very disappointing for an organiser and the helpers.
No doubt some had done their 600 k qualifier and some saw the weather forecast.

« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2019, 10:38:52 am »
DNS's on that scale are a function of accessibility and affordability. The costs of not turning up are very low. That's one reason why expensive sportives are popular.

You've invested a lot as a way of binding yourself in to the project. A higher profile can do that as well. Obscurity means that you can fail without being noticed, but it also means that success is less visible.

« Reply #22 on: 09 June, 2019, 10:55:10 am »
When I start organising events they'll all cost hundreds of pounds to enter. That'll reduce the DNS rate!

« Reply #23 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:44:40 am »
When I start organising events they'll all cost hundreds of pounds to enter. That'll reduce the DNS rate!

That'll help pay for a masseur for the participants' egos.

« Reply #24 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:46:16 am »
 The organiser's ego, surely  8)