Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 399664 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1675 on: 09 December, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
Hurrah: turn the thermostat up and am rewarded with the clunks, groans and gurgles that signify the heating is "working".
Bah: the top of the radiator in the Great Hall is stone cold.
Hurrah: application of key to bleed valve produces prolonged hissing, watery spurts and, ultimately, a radiator hot to the very top.  Doubly Hurrah-worthy as bitter experience has shewn most radiator bleed valves to be made of cheese, requiring the services of a large adjustable spanner to do the Necessary.
Bah: this morning radiators are stone cold, boiler cryptically mutters "f.22".  Intarwebs suggest that this means Larrington Towers will shortly catch fire, unless I've misunderstood.
Hurrah: application of screwdriver to relevant part of boiler puts pressure gauge back into the green; reboot of boiler produces clunks, groans, gurgles etc.
Bah: my feet are still bloody freezing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1676 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »
GN: My employer is going to sign up to "Bike To Work"

BN: I've already too many bikes..... ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1677 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:03:40 pm »
I'm sure that I could help you by taking one or two off your hands...   ;)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1678 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »
too many bikes

This phrase has no meaning.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1679 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »
too many bikes

It's a mistranslation of "not enough space".  HTH HAND.

Had this discussion with the guy in the LBS recently:  I noted that Bromptons make really good n+1s, because they're small and neat and don't take up much space, so you don't run out of room.  He pointed out you still do, but you need a lot more of them before it becomes a problem, and that can be quite expensive.

« Reply #1680 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:16:05 pm »
Hurrah: turn the thermostat up and am rewarded with the clunks, groans and gurgles that signify the heating is "working".
Hurrah: application of key to bleed valve produces prolonged hissing, watery spurts and, ultimately, a radiator hot to the very top.  Doubly Hurrah-worthy as bitter experience has shewn most radiator bleed valves to be made of cheese, requiring the services of a large adjustable spanner to do the Necessary.
Bah: this morning radiators are stone cold, boiler cryptically mutters "f.22".  Intarwebs suggest that this means Larrington Towers will shortly catch fire, unless I've misunderstood.
Hurrah: application of screwdriver to relevant part of boiler puts pressure gauge back into the green; reboot of boiler produces clunks, groans, gurgles etc.
If this recurs soonish, it may be what happened to my system on NY day a coupla years ago. It could be a slow leak from somewhere in the system. In my case, a dodgy radiator valve.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1681 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
If this recurs soonish, it may be what happened to my system on NY day a coupla years ago. It could be a slow leak from somewhere in the system. In my case, a dodgy radiator valve.

Or the pressure vessel having a had a visitation from the puncture fairy...

But bleeding a radiator on a hot system, not topping it up, then the pressure dropping below the cutout level the next morning is expected behaviour and not indicative of a fault.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1682 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »
too many bikes

It's a mistranslation of "not enough space".  HTH HAND.

Had this discussion with the guy in the LBS recently:  I noted that Bromptons make really good n+1s, because they're small and neat and don't take up much space, so you don't run out of room.  He pointed out you still do, but you need a lot more of them before it becomes a problem, and that can be quite expensive.
Yes. Lack of space is a problem.

Does HAND mean 'have another doughnut'?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1683 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:25:28 pm »

Or the pressure vessel having a had a visitation from the puncture fairy...

But bleeding a radiator on a hot system, not topping it up, then the pressure dropping below the cutout level the next morning is expected behaviour and not indicative of a fault.
Yep.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1684 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »
I am a BEAR of little brane and do not grok matters pertaining to central heating.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1685 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »
After Christmas, my weekends will start on a Wednesday evening and finish on a Tuesday lunch time. The school I have just been to changed its school day, and in particular its lunch-break, at the start of this term and it means that the children are trying to condense a meal and a chess club into 45 minutes. They don't like it, so I will be turning up to the school's Breakfast Club at 8am on a Wednesday and giving them a straight 45 minute session. It means I will have to get out of bed before sunrise for the first half-term, at least.

Oh well, it frees up Tuesday lunchtime for other stuff!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1686 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:37:33 pm »
Does HAND mean 'have another doughnut'?

Why not, eh? :)
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1687 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:51:00 pm »
Thanks! I'll just put the kettle on. Do you prefer the ones with icing on top or with jam in the middle?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1688 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:51:09 pm »

Makes a change from a dodgy transformer (again).

M Le Maire, f22 means that while Larrington Towers remain foot numbingly cold, it does mean you'll have a nice depth of field. You might have to hold the camera steady though, or use a tripod.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1689 on: 13 December, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »
GN: Assuming she can escape the murderous attentions of fellow female Rugby Union players until fitness tests in January and the World Cup in May, at the age of 17 Ms Marco is an England Women's Open Touch Rugby player and will be going to the World Cup in 2015!  :thumbsup:

BN: The 2015 Touch World Cup is in New South Wales.

GN: The 2015 Touch World Cup is in New South Wales.

BN: We have to pay for everything. Ahh, sod it, let's all go!

« Reply #1690 on: 13 December, 2014, 10:20:59 pm »

Makes a change from a dodgy transformer (again).

M Le Maire, f22 means that while Larrington Towers remain foot numbingly cold, it does mean you'll have a nice depth of field. You might have to hold the camera steady though, or use a tripod.

I can ask the delightful Mary what that error code means if you tell me what make of boiler, she is the keeper of odd knowledge and wrangler of upset customers for a plumbing outfit.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1691 on: 13 December, 2014, 10:57:01 pm »
Low system pressure, innit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1692 on: 13 December, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »
f22 means a large depth of field.  HTH
Getting there...

« Reply #1693 on: 14 December, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
Certainly means yer boiler's effin stopped.

« Reply #1694 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »
GN: The Tiger Lillies are touring next year.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf51Wjn4_6I

BN: The nearest gig to me is Salford on 18th March, and I've already got a concert booked for that night  >:(

Edit:   The RLPO concert on the 18th is being repeated on the 19th.  I wonder if I can change my ticket ?   

Cinders may go to the ball after all .... http://www.thelowry.com/event/the-tiger-lillies1
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1695 on: 23 December, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »
Good News: No Thumbs of DETH at physio today - the whole session was devoted to acupuncture and therefore an enforced lie-down-and-remain-motionless for just under half an hour.

Bad News: The radio in the corner was tuned to Simon Mayo in pre-Christmas mode.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1696 on: 24 December, 2014, 04:59:16 pm »
GN: I sold my Claud Butler Cape Wrath 2 this morning.

BN: I owe Tiermat a tenner because he bet me someone would come in on Xmas Eve needing a bike.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1697 on: 24 December, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »
 ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1698 on: 26 December, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
Hurrah: In spite of Dr Davis' best efforts there is still half a side of smoked salmon left.
Bah: Guess what's for lunch every day until Monday?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1699 on: 26 December, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »
Have it on pizza. Also on pasta with a bit of creme fraiche.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.