Author Topic: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend  (Read 48355 times)

Re: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:02:04 pm »
Clarkson is a typical ex public schoolboy tory toff muppet whom I hope the bbc give the sack.

« Reply #26 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:05:19 pm »
Who really gives a ...I think he and the BBC operate on the basis of any publicity is good publicity.

Presumably the show that is not going to be broadcast has already been made, so they'll show it the week after and get  even more people watching.

They've just said on the news that none of the three remaining shows of this series will be broadcast as originally scheduled.

Maybe they'll broadcast them one week after the original schedule.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:20:33 pm »
What a shame, from the title I thought he may have been suspended by a rope around the neck.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:00:06 am »
Ideal UKIP election candidate...... oh dear....  :o

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:08:17 am »
Maybe they'll broadcast them one week after the original schedule.

Teh BBC, they say:

Quote from: Those Commie Pinko Tools of the Establishment at Broadcasting House

BBC News special correspondent Lucy Manning said sources had confirmed reports Clarkson was suspended for "allegedly hitting a producer".

"The incident is believed to have happened last week, but was reported to the BBC on Monday and dealt with on Tuesday," she added.

"The next two episodes of Top Gear will not be broadcast and it's understood that a third programme, the final of the series, is unlikely to be transmitted."

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

« Reply #30 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:21:15 am »
I like Top Gear. Clarkson is an oaf, but an entertaining one. He knows how to make fun of himself and not take himself too serious.
However, he has very clearly screwed up big time and I don't get the seemingly blind support he gets.
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/575396502559985665

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:33:49 am »
What the hell happened there?  I clicked Jakob's link and Chrome was suddenly hijacked by a twitter virus O:-)

« Reply #32 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:12:13 am »
Blimey, tired and possibly emotional presenter throws hissy fit when flunky fails to sort the sarnies. And that's news? Only because it's the Guardian's hate of the decade Clarkson.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #33 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:55:38 am »
Even better the postponement of said episodes of "Top Gear" has stopped Gary Lineker from appearing on our screens again.
Two for the price of one.
 Anyone noticed that the BBC has a very annoying habit now of using one BBC programme to promote another?

Clarkson ,in all likelihood,  is not actually employed by the BBC . Like all the big names they are self employed or via service companies , so that the BBC doesn't have to pay beancounters to calculate their PAYE .

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:04:51 am »
It's got nothing to do with the Guardian, rafletcher, and everything to do with the fact that Clarkson is a superannuated pub bore who thinks his celebrity status gives him licence to do and say whatever he likes.

The sad fact is that he's probably correct. Clearly he's become too toxic for the BBC in the current climate of fear but commercial TV will undoubtedly snap him up very soon.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #35 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:11:46 am »
Clarkson is a typical ex public schoolboy tory toff muppet whom I hope the bbc give the sack.

Yes.  And if he parts company with the BBC I wonder what he will get up to next?  No doubt the BBC contract was a restraining influence :hand:

No doubt he will assume his natural vocation as a latter day Alf Garnett role model.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #36 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:18:11 am »
"Allegedly used a racist word..." Mealy-mouthed twats. What did he say, or is it too, too terrible for our tender young eyes? Or, old fart that I am, would I actually understand it if I read it?

The funny thing is in France these days that you can actually make up a word or gesture, and if you use it to the wrong person in the wrong tone it'll eventually find its way onto the Index, probably via your court appearance.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #37 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:10:33 am »
"Allegedly used a racist word..."

The one I think they're referring to was in Korea (or somewhere else where the natives have slitty eyes; it really doesn't matter), gestured to a bridge in camera shot and said something like "look at the slope on that."

One end of the bridge was at a different elevation to the other. There were also several people of local ethnic origin crossing it at the time.

Witty reference to the possible dual meaning of perfectly normal words that are only misinterpreted as denoting a racial slur when heard by members of the PC Gorn Mad brigade, or the ramblings of a turgid elderly racist? You decide.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:14:01 am »
There's the poem he recited and mumbled. I believe squirrel is the modern version of it. You catch its toe. There's the Mexican slur. There's another one too.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:16:24 am »
There's the poem he recited and mumbled. I believe squirrel is the modern version of it. You catch its toe.

Having been brought up with AA Milne, it took me *years* to cotton on that it wasn't "Catch a Tigger by his toe."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:04:12 am »
I'm actually quite scared by how many people have signed the petition for his reinstatement.
Getting there...

« Reply #41 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:16:02 am »
well going through Change.org I'm quite disappointed by the amount of support there is for such an archaic, sexist, racist over paid prick, but then I suppose I'm just out of touch and this type of thing is considered entertainment these days  AND! auntie wants an increase in our TV tax   

funny how a lot of people on here consider the "comedies" of the 70's racist or sexist, Love thy Neighbour, On the Buses, Man About The House etc etc yet jump to Mr Clarkson's defence, I find that very odd.

« Reply #42 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:21:42 am »
I'm actually quite scared by how many people have signed the petition for his reinstatement.
One 'campaign' message going around is tagged with 'We need more truth tellers on the BBC'. You can debate whether or not clarkson is entertaining but any idea that he is purveying 'truth' would reduce even him to fits of laughter. I find it scary.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #43 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:24:58 am »
well going through Change.org I'm quite disappointed by the amount of support there is for such an archaic, sexist, racist over paid prick, but then I suppose I'm just out of touch and this type of thing is considered entertainment these days  AND! auntie wants an increase in our TV tax

A "tax" which can simply and legally be avoided.

« Reply #44 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
not if you want to watch TV,

« Reply #45 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:06:25 pm »
I think he'll go to make his own youtube channel, but keep the same production levels. He'll still have access to all the cars and stars, but will absolutely coin in it from global advertising.

ian

« Reply #46 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:09:04 pm »

Broadcast TV. Which I believe is optional. I manage to avoid having an opinion either way about Clarkson by having near zero exposure to the man.

Andrew

« Reply #47 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:22:08 pm »
Witty reference to the possible dual meaning of perfectly normal words that are only misinterpreted as denoting a racial slur when heard by members of the PC Gorn Mad brigade, or the ramblings of a turgid elderly racist? You decide.

Clarkson's no fool. He knew exactly what he was saying. Ditto the nigger rhyme. He's deliberately provocative. He may not be a bigoted racist but he knows how to prod a stick, stir a hornets nest, and generate publicity. Personally, whilst I can find him genuinely funny, I find that 'stirrer' side of his character boreish and lame.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:30:40 pm »

Broadcast TV. Which I believe is optional.

I'm inclined to agree, but I do so noting that I have little interest in the sort of thing that live TV is best at.  News, sporting events, that sort of thing.  If I were an avid sportsball fan, I might think differently about the TV licence.

« Reply #49 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

Clarkson's no fool. He knew exactly what he was saying. Ditto the nigger rhyme. He's deliberately provocative. He may not be a bigoted racist but he knows how to prod a stick, stir a hornets nest, and generate publicity.

Indeed so and I am 100% certain he knew exactly what he was doing with that registration plate in Argentina.   In fact, I believe wholly that the brief was to find appropriate plated vehicles then come up with a theme once you know what your core material is.   The show has history with number plate games so it's not like there isn't a precedent.   These things don't just happen and James May should be extremely ashamed that he even tried to claim otherwise IMO.