Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284865 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2925 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:14:12 pm »
Yesterday evening, from just before dusk to about an hour after, friends and I were sitting on a hill in Malmesbury admiring the amazing but totally silent anvil cloud lightning storm. Locals said it must be over Sherston (a couple of miles away) so we looked at the weather radar – it was over mid-Wales.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2926 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:31:58 pm »
A few years ago I could see distant lightning when I arrived in Calais. It wasn’t until I was past Orleans that the storm engulfed me. Traffic was slowed to 30 km/h on the autoroute. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2927 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:36:06 pm »
A weird bit of weather here last night. We were walking to the pub for the monthly quiz around 8.00. There was a stiff breeze blowing, which was not totally unpleasant seeing how warm it was. But it was also quite misty. Don't expect mist and breeze at the same time. By the time we were walking home again the breeze had dropped and the mist was very much reduced. Weird.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2928 on: 14 September, 2023, 05:58:35 pm »
The Dyson fan has just been stood down from seasonal duties for the second time this year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2929 on: 14 September, 2023, 06:02:33 pm »
The legs have been fickle. I have been in shorts most of today as I went for a swim around lunchtime and I find them more convenient when cycling to the beach and putting on again after removing swimming trunks.

So far, every day this month has had a maximum temperature in excess of 20°C and that looks to continue for a few days more.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2930 on: 14 September, 2023, 09:39:58 pm »
Only about 8°C this morning in the desert so natch me and a handful of Italian PSOs were still wandering around in shorts & T-shaped shirts :smug:  Our tame Canadian is self-isolating, having tested +ve for teh Plague.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2931 on: 14 September, 2023, 09:40:41 pm »
The Dyson fan has just been stood down from seasonal duties for the second time this year.

Both fan and electric heat pad were in play last night.  Autumn is weird.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2932 on: 15 September, 2023, 12:16:42 am »
Vaguely weatherish, just seen the northern lights over Reykjavik harbour
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2933 on: 15 September, 2023, 12:53:57 am »

GIT!

« Reply #2934 on: 15 September, 2023, 07:17:28 pm »
Line drying my smalls.
Who knows?
Maybe for the last time this year.
ETA - Also, double GIT to the no fuck man.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2935 on: 15 September, 2023, 07:25:50 pm »
I think we in Sanny Saarfend are due to have warm weather for a while yet. But on Sunday, Jan and I are off to see college friends who live between Leyland and Preston. At present, it seems the Met office think it's going to rain every day we are there. We return to the south-east on Thursday next week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2936 on: 15 September, 2023, 07:32:22 pm »

My no. 1 swimming pal (who is currently dog-sitting in Gozo) spent a few days in Iceland earlier this year and took some terrific photos of the aurora borealis. I think she  saw it every night she was there and was getting bored with it by the end.

Knowing her luck, she'll see it from Gozo. She's there for almost a fortnight.

ElyDave

« Reply #2937 on: 15 September, 2023, 08:10:25 pm »

GIT!

;D  :smug:

ElyDave

« Reply #2938 on: 15 September, 2023, 08:11:14 pm »

My no. 1 swimming pal (who is currently dog-sitting in Gozo) spent a few days in Iceland earlier this year and took some terrific photos of the aurora borealis. I think she  saw it every night she was there and was getting bored with it by the end.

Knowing her luck, she'll see it from Gozo. She's there for almost a fortnight.

Looks fairly crappy from now on, so unlikely for the rest of the week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2939 on: 16 September, 2023, 01:05:10 am »
Every day during the first half of September, my device recorded a maximum temperature in excess of 20°C. For 13 of those days, the maximum was in excess of 24°C. I would be most surprised if this month doesn’t break all kinds of records.

« Reply #2940 on: 16 September, 2023, 07:17:37 pm »
Freezing in York, just 17C at the moment.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2941 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:06:59 am »
Automated flood alert text at 0358 this morning.  The nearby river was very high (25cm below its all-time record, which flooded some of east Swindon for days).  But it never floods on this side, as the bank is far higher, whereas it can run for half a mile if it bursts out of the other side.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2942 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:42:17 pm »
I'm freezing! 16.2C according to the cheap Chinese tat thermometer in here. Under 2 fleece blankets. Need to message the joiner tomorrow and find out if those caps on the disconnected radiator pipes will withstand putting the heating on.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2943 on: 20 September, 2023, 02:18:53 am »
23 and almost unbroken sunshine today.  In the bit of Oregon lying to the west of the Cascades this is pretty remarkable :demon:

« Reply #2944 on: 20 September, 2023, 08:58:02 am »
Strong winds and rain, but not as cold as it looks, at 17C, forecast high 19C

« Reply #2945 on: 20 September, 2023, 11:29:39 am »
Warm, windy, with much approaching wetness. Should keep the Tesco crowds down when I go shopping later.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2946 on: 20 September, 2023, 01:48:06 pm »
Absolutely pouring here with torrential rain bouncing off the ground with interspersed wind sending waves along the road.

« Reply #2947 on: 20 September, 2023, 06:36:20 pm »
Blustery and very wet here for the latter part of the day. Donning my (waterproof) Scarpa walking boots this morning was today's best decision.

« Reply #2948 on: 21 September, 2023, 11:56:48 am »
Now a lovely sunny day. Back to short sleeves and no jacket.

« Reply #2949 on: 21 September, 2023, 01:46:34 pm »
Sunny 18c with flood warnings.