Author Topic: Signs of Spring  (Read 208914 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Signs of Spring
« Reply #900 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »
The miles to road kill ratio has gone up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #901 on: 17 March, 2016, 04:24:09 pm »
A pair of Red kites circling around over garden / woodland with nest building stuff ie twigs in their beaks;  fabulous to watch them glide and soar around  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #902 on: 17 March, 2016, 08:12:10 pm »
I've seen more and more red kites up north recently - there were a few on the edges of the Dales a couple of weeks ago, which is great to see.

Anyway, I came here to report that the lane from Dinsdale Bridge to Girsby is abloom with daffs :thumbsup:

« Reply #903 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:34:58 pm »
Fabulous, Dean.  I think we may have done that section on Graeme's 50 from Toytown, Trev's introductory Audax.  I think the Red Kites are moving rapidly north:  I saw a couple round about the Cleveland Tontine in January.

« Reply #904 on: 18 March, 2016, 10:35:32 am »
Lovely daffodil shot  :thumbsup:

Re Red Kites spreading 15 years ago moved to Radnor valley, east border of Wales into Herefordshire. Whilst kites were common west of where we lived, ie Rhayader / Elan valley their traditional stronghold it was very rare indeed see one near home. Now they are common place, a pair nests in wood at edge of our garden, they now are frequently around 20-30 miles east of here into NW Herefordshire / Shropshire and spreading. IIRC they will also be raising a better ratio young / adults as they are further east as there`s less likelihood of cold and wet weather which can destroy the first brood / eggs.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #905 on: 20 March, 2016, 12:17:59 am »
A few years ago we were walking on the Long Mynd and as we headed towards Little Stretton a red kite flew over us. I phoned my brother, who spent 40-odd years working for the Nature Conservancy Council, most of them at Attingham Park, near Shrewsbury. He was very interested in our sighting, as I don't think he had ever seen a red kite in Shropshire up to that point.

Je was even more interested in the pair of ring ousels we had seen on the Long Mynd near the gliding club.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #906 on: 20 March, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »
First singing Chiffchaff of 2016 for me, near Eardisley Herefordshire. And sun came out afterwards to give a sunny if chill afternoon  :thumbsup:

« Reply #907 on: 20 March, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »
The laurel tree in our garden is so awash with honey bees in the sunshine today that the thing is buzzing with life. It prompted the first grass cut of the season.

Happy Equinox!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #908 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:12:46 pm »
Drumming woodpeckers here.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #909 on: 22 March, 2016, 04:43:29 am »
The dawn chorus is a wonderful thing to behold, but this Maidstone blackbird has been giving it large for well over half an hour. I would really prefer to be asleep.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #910 on: 22 March, 2016, 08:49:11 am »
Almond blossom yesterday.  Just one tree and a bit timid, but still.  A few others showing, too, including the usual plasticky-looking flowering cherry.  Our own (real) cherry tree is a long way behind.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #911 on: 22 March, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »
The outside tent display at Winfield's in Measham has reappeared.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #912 on: 23 March, 2016, 12:42:09 am »
A mozzie in my kitchen, buggrit!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #913 on: 26 March, 2016, 08:06:18 am »
A chiffchaff in the scrubby woodlands behind my brother's house.

An orgy of frogs in his pond.

« Reply #914 on: 26 March, 2016, 09:35:12 am »
It's like a scene from The Birds here...   Blue tits pecking at the windows and door handles trying to get at us; scared to leave the house...   :o

;)  Apparently they fight with their reflections during nesting...  http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/71767.aspx

Coal tits seem much more chilled, and haven't been pecking the doors/windows.

ps another use for the VIRB, set up onna tripod.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #915 on: 26 March, 2016, 09:56:30 am »
Mowed the grass in shirtsleeves and sunshine yesterday.  Today there's rain on the windows, gusting wind,  and the hills have disappeared into the mist.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #916 on: 26 March, 2016, 10:11:04 am »
Mowed the grass in shirtsleeves and sunshine yesterday.  Today there's rain on the windows, gusting wind,  and the hills have disappeared into the mist.

Blimey, I could write exactly the same post.  (Do you live next door?)
All of those things.  Except the shirt sleeves.  I wore a jumper.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #917 on: 27 March, 2016, 03:02:58 pm »
A bluebell just opening into flower, several marsh marigolds (kingcup) and numerous chiffchaff singing around lanes in west Herefordshire

« Reply #918 on: 28 March, 2016, 07:14:09 am »
Wet patchy snow in garden, lying on hills > 300m  ::-)

Aftermath Storm Katie, 23 mm rain / snow overnight and gales, battered daffodils  :(

« Reply #919 on: 11 April, 2016, 07:30:18 am »
1 x Swallow near Builth Wells on Saturday was followed by several hours of heavy snow / hail storms (see Audax Elenydd reports !! )

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #920 on: 11 April, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »
1 x Swallow near Builth Wells on Saturday was followed by several hours of heavy snow / hail storms (see Audax Elenydd reports !! )

Just proves it's not summer.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #921 on: 12 April, 2016, 08:30:44 am »

Just proves it's not summer.

QED  :thumbsup: and many days doesn`t feel much like Spring either

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #922 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »
The real sign of spring is that my infeasibly tall chum Mr Warren "Shrimpboat" Beauchamp has put up the web site for the 2016 WHPSC :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #923 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:01:06 pm »
Lots of leaves appearing on the trees. The countryside is going green again  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #924 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:46:01 am »
Three separate parties of Duke of Edinburghers on various parts of the Mendip at the weekend.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.