Author Topic: On life expectancy of bottom brackets with a fixed wheel  (Read 4986 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
On life expectancy of bottom brackets with a fixed wheel
« on: 11 January, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
The bottom bracket of my fixed gear is shot - after the very un-galactic mileage of 11038.56 kilometres = 6 859.04319 miles. It is a early 2000, 9speed cartridge Octalink BB, Ultegra 6500 series.

For now I simply ordered a new 105 BB, 30 quid a pop. In the medium term, I wondering whether its worth to switch the chainset to a different BB standard both in terms of mileage and costs for emplacement. In comparison, I paid €11 a pop for a 105 external BB last year!

Any suggestions or experiences regarding the life expectancy and economics of BBs with a fixed wheel?
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Chris N

Re: On life expectancy of bottom brackets with a fixed wheel
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Octalink is pretty poor for durability - the balls in the bearings are smaller diameter and don't last as long as either square taper or Hollowtech II.

I've ridden double that on two square taper BBs - one a Shimano UN72, the other a Stronglight SBBA.  Neither is showing signs of wearing out.  You can't get the UN72 any more, and the SBBA is £55.  A new 105 HTII BB is only £19, buy you'll need to factor in the cost of replacement cranks.

The most cost effective solution is probably to buy the cheapest square taper cranks you can find (Spa XD-2 touring?) and fit a Shimano UN52/54/55 bottom bracket.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:15:58 am »
for cheap and long lasting i'd choose shimano un-54 square taper; for a tour around the world - maybe skf?

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:00:23 am »
<anecdata>
My pompino has a Shimano 105 BB, which has now done around 34,000km - including several winters of audax.

Still going OK (touches wood)
</anecdata>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:57:27 am »
I'd expect mebbe a couple of years/20k km (I use Campag Veloce, pretty cheap). I seem to get through headsets at about the same rate. I think it's something to do with being constantly 'lubricated' with a rain of alien 'acid for blood' sweat.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »
:-\  I've got BB problems again.  And I think I've knackered a pedal :(
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »
I'd expect mebbe a couple of years/20k km (I use Campag Veloce, pretty cheap). I seem to get through headsets at about the same rate. I think it's something to do with being constantly 'lubricated' with a rain of alien 'acid for blood' sweat.

whereas I can count the number of BBs and headsets I've worn out in the last 20 years on the fingers of one finger (except the Brommie, which eats BBs)

The Pompino still has the headset & BB  that I fitted in 2003, and the MC has the same ones I fitted in 2006. Both square taper.

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »
Treat as a consumable - yes 10 Mm is disappointing but not unusual.

I tried an expensive one to try and beat the annual replacement, it lasted a bit longer but not relative to the price. So choose something cheapish as recommended above (UN54/ Veloce)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
Curiously, with a long history of destroying any Shimano BB within 2,000 miles, the UN54 on the commuting bike has so far managed 5,000.  I wonder if they fail on freewheeled bikes in a non-obvious way, like when standing on the pedals over bumps?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2012, 08:58:30 am »
Thanks for the input. I am a bit split minded about changing the cranks only for the sake of a new BB standard. Essentially, the cranks are fine. OTAH, my experiences with ISIS and Ocatlink aren't that great either. Plus, I like the ease of service with the 'new' external BBs. And sometimes there are good deals. IIRC, Rose sold a HT2 105 chainset for €60 a couple of months ago. BTW, do I need another BB tool for square taper BBs?

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2012, 09:02:56 am »
BTW, do I need another BB tool for square taper BBs?

You need a tool for removing the cranks, and another tool for removing the BB from the frame. There are at least 2 flavours of the first (though one is much more common) and at least 4 flavours of the second.

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2012, 09:05:24 am »
Shimano Octalink and Shimano square taper BBs do both use the same splined tool for installation.

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2012, 09:30:54 am »
BTW, do I need another BB tool for square taper BBs?
You need a tool for removing the cranks, and another tool for removing the BB from the frame. There are at least 2 flavours of the first (though one is much more common) and at least 4 flavours of the second.
Shimano Octalink and Shimano square taper BBs do both use the same splined tool for installation.
Mmmh, ok, the answer is 'maybe'/'depends'. I own a crank remover, a splined tool for octalink and one for ISIS (+ a HT2 wrench, which works with FSA stuff, too). Anyway, those tools are use usually cheaper than paying for the service at a LBS.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:20:30 am »
The Pompino still has the headset & BB  that I fitted in 2003, and the MC has the same ones I fitted in 2006. Both square taper.

The Chorus BB on my Master was installed in 1999. Semi-retired now, but I estimate 40,000km.

This would be a great recommendation were it not for an identical model disintegrating into dust on my winter bike after 18 months.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »
Just replaced my BB on the Ridgeback with a Sugino unit.  On the way back from the shop I killed the old BB with death by hitting 58.9kph down the hill.  It creaked like an old sailing boat in a gale as I went up the next rise.  The visible play in the BB after I took it out was quite alarming.  I think my fears about the pedal was unfounded.  I'll need to do a shakedown ride anyway.
Getting there...

robbo6

« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2012, 05:57:30 pm »
Earlier this week I had a Sugino 75 old fashioned cup and cone type out, the expensive lapped finish variety in a home made oil bath, installed since 2004, and looked at and cleaned yearly, it's only just starting to show signs of a wear track. Another year perhaps. Suzue hubs, the top cone model, fitted for oil lube, still look new.

« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »
home made oil bath

How did you go about that, out of interest?

Must admit that I thought an oil bath would give a very long life indeed, decades perhaps.

robbo6

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »
It's a bit difficult to go into detail without drawings, but a thin walled Aly. tube turned to fit into the outer cups, and sealed with O rings. V seals are fitted to the axle to suit. A few tiny drops of oil escape but nothing to worry about. A refinement I have done to past frames, but not this one, is to fit a tecalmit nipple to the BB shell.

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2012, 06:46:08 am »
It's a bit difficult to go into detail without drawings, but a thin walled Aly. tube turned to fit into the outer cups, and sealed with O rings. V seals are fitted to the axle to suit. A few tiny drops of oil escape but nothing to worry about. A refinement I have done to past frames, but not this one, is to fit a tecalmit nipple to the BB shell.

In end (and as new beginning) I went for a mainstream option and bought a Ultegra 6600 chainset for £65. A very reasonable price considering that I got also a new chain ring (well, 2 but the other is of no use for me).