Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65315 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »
Nuun have just tweeted that they would be interested in discussing sponsoring Steve. If anyone is in touch with the support crew it might be worth letting them know Asap

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:31:29 pm »
Nuun are already contributing both tablets and water bottles - so if tweet is true - sounds as if left hand and right hand need to get together
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:33:33 pm »
Happening now.

Nuun gave product sponsorship beforehand, looks like dosh now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »
Apologies, I missed them in the sponsor list so when Steve tweeted about using Nuun I gave them a nudge that they should spnsor him. I suspect the social media team not up to date with the sponsorship team. I suspect no harm done. Might be goid to get them to give Steve a bit of namechecking. Good to keep the awareness alive.

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »
Steve's in the Comic this week. It's out today.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »
Steve's in the Comic this week. It's out today.
Thank f**k,  there is some sanity still in british cycling media.

[redacted to avoid thread derailment]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:14:27 pm »
Not in the best of taste Matt

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »
Just bought a copy. How daft that they should get Tommy Godwin's year mileage wrong, when that's the one truly significant number in the whole piece  :facepalm:

I had to check: so they have. I suppose it's not nearly as important as your 100 mile sportif timings.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »
Steve gets a mention in the latest CTC cycleclips email with a link to the OYTT website
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #35 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:13:45 pm »

« Reply #36 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:07:00 pm »
Newsnight has a piece about Milton Keynes on, and they haven't mentioned him once :(

« Reply #37 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »
I see from the calendar that Zoe Williams is riding with Steve some time next Friday. Is that the Guardian's interviewer Zoe Williams - the one that wrote this?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:26:25 pm »
I see from the calendar that Zoe Williams is riding with Steve some time next Friday. Is that the Guardian's interviewer Zoe Williams - the one that wrote this?

I saw that too and presumed it is one and the same - she has written many other pieces about cycling for the Guardian.

Also noticed that Max Leonard has interviewed Steve. Max is a pretty decent cycling journalist. He wrote Lanterne Rouge what came out last year - not read it myself yet but it is very well regarded. Maybe he's writing a book about Steve!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #39 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »
She also used to write for the LCC mag.

« Reply #40 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:32:37 pm »

I saw that too and presumed it is one and the same - she has written many other pieces about cycling for the Guardian.

Also noticed that Max Leonard has interviewed Steve. Max is a pretty decent cycling journalist. He wrote Lanterne Rouge what came out last year - not read it myself yet but it is very well regarded. Maybe he's writing a book about Steve!

Should Messrs Abraham and Searvogel survive the year and duke it out to the death finish then I think there would definately be an interesting book in there...

« Reply #41 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »

I understand from speaking to Lesley on Steve's team that it is Zoe Williams of the Guardian.

Hopefully she'll buy him a good lunch and then provide a wheel to follow for a few hours.

« Reply #42 on: 23 January, 2015, 03:02:11 pm »
I'd wondered the same. 
That's great - an article in a national paper!

« Reply #43 on: 23 January, 2015, 03:42:22 pm »
I honestly think that this challenge could enter the national press in a big way.

People who have no cycling interest that I know are now tracking Steve and Tarzan everyday and reading this forum after me sharing this on my facebook.    A well written book would be a massive commercial success in my opinion.

I might have a cheeky bety on Steve for SPOTY too - you never know how big this thing could go.

I can not think of another spoting achievemnt this year that will challenge this record if it is beaten.... not to mention the mental side of the challenge.   

I would not be at all suprised to see Team Sky offering some assistance if the press continue to promote this - fantastic PR for all the sponsors involved with daily interest on social media

« Reply #44 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
"I might have a cheeky bety on Steve for SPOTY too - you never know how big this thing could go."

I reckon a tenner on Steve Abraham to win SPOTY "Unsung Hero" could be money well spent.  Imagine going into the bookies...

Me: I'd like to place a bet on SPoTY please
Bookie: Who? Wiggins? MCilroy?
Me: Steve Abraham to win "Unsung Hero"
Bookie: WHO?

I think they would take the bet based on ignorance alone!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #45 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:49:50 pm »
One of the support team managed to get a bet on Steve beating the Godwin record at very decent odds -- much better than was a true reflection of Steve's ability -- but when I ( for one) tried to follow this up - the national bookmaker woke up -- and said they were taking no more bets on this event.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #46 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »

I understand from speaking to Lesley on Steve's team that it is Zoe Williams of the Guardian.

Hopefully she'll buy him a good lunch and then provide a wheel to follow for a few hours.

She has a column in the LCC magazine as well.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #47 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:44:27 pm »
Later in the year, possibly when the tour is on , a campaign to get some of the pro riders on twitter would work well. just to re-tweet steves mileage by then will get massive global coverage.

« Reply #48 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:33:40 pm »
I honestly think that this challenge could enter the national press in a big way.

People who have no cycling interest that I know are now tracking Steve and Tarzan everyday and reading this forum after me sharing this on my facebook.    A well written book would be a massive commercial success in my opinion.

I might have a cheeky bety on Steve for SPOTY too - you never know how big this thing could go.

I can not think of another spoting achievemnt this year that will challenge this record if it is beaten.... not to mention the mental side of the challenge.   

I would not be at all suprised to see Team Sky offering some assistance if the press continue to promote this - fantastic PR for all the sponsors involved with daily interest on social media

I feel that sooner or later this whole attempt by Steve will capture `the great British Spirit`---wonderful amateur attempt on extreme record etc etc, and particularly as it`s also being attempted by someone who appears to be a semi professional Yank ! Even landlord at a local pub was very  interested and he doesn`t cycle.............
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »

I don't believe this - Zoe fecking Williams?!?  This is ...  just getting beyond belief.

:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles