Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 243596 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #1050 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:53:38 am »
There is now an on line version
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/announcements/public_notices/legal_notices/public_notices/9469469._Sutton_Road__Sutton___Temporary_Prohibition_of_Traffic__Order_2012/

The last time I went along Sutton Road this work still hadn't gone ahead. Do you think the motoring lobby has had its say?
It could be a long time before we know for sure!
The Order will come into effect on 24 January 2012 and may continue in force for 18 months or until the works have been completed, whichever is the earlier.
But

The closure is scheduled to commence for 2 nights between the 24 January 2012 and 24 February 2012 or where appropriate signs are showing and weather permitting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1051 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:58:07 am »
But

The closure is scheduled to commence for 2 nights between the 24 January 2012 and 24 February 2012 or where appropriate signs are showing and weather permitting.
It appears that the schedule has slipped somewhat but there is plenty of time to start the works. Very suddenly, over the busiest period of travel between SoS and Rochford.

« Reply #1052 on: 14 February, 2012, 03:32:24 pm »
But

It appears that the schedule has slipped somewhat but there is plenty of time to start the works. Very suddenly, over the busiest period of travel between SoS and Rochford.

My guess this will happen just before the football stadium work gets underway.

AndyK

« Reply #1053 on: 19 February, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »
So, how do cyclists safely enter and exit the Western Esplanade track?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2weNqixA1bc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2weNqixA1bc&rel=1</a>

AndyK

« Reply #1054 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »
Did anyone else come across this today?

« Reply #1055 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »
Any idea what they are up to?

AndyK

« Reply #1056 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »
None. From what I could see the only reason the cycle track is closed is because it's now a - presumably temporary - footpath, while whatever they are doing to the footpath is done.

« Reply #1057 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:05:56 pm »
Ah I see. Its the footpath thats closed  :facepalm:

« Reply #1058 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:21:05 pm »
Did anyone else come across this today?

TFL assure me that all their contractors now know not to use that sign. I have told them that the next one of those I see in London gets confiscated.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

AndyK

« Reply #1059 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:10:59 am »
What they should have done is allocated the cycle path to the pedestrians, then coned off the nearside  lane of the road for cyclists and put in traffic-light flow control for cars in the remaining lane…  :demon: ;D

AndyK

« Reply #1060 on: 29 February, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »
Entrance to Western Esplanade: Now no ramp, no dropped kerb, black bollards with no reflectives. Obviously not meant for cyclist use.

AndyK

« Reply #1061 on: 01 March, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
I couldn't stay silent any longer:

Dear Cllr Cox,

I write to you today to express my serious concerns about developments at the entrance to the Western Esplanade cycle path. Due to a recent redesign to the road entrance to Adventure Island outside the Ikon Building, it is now not possible for cyclists approaching from Marine Parade to safely enter the cycle path. In fact it could be downright dangerous and result in serious injury to cyclists.

The reasons for this are:

1. There is now a four inch kerb instead of a dropped kerb where cyclists would enter the cycle path. Any cyclist not noticing this will go over their handlebars and either land on their face on the concrete, or land on one of the new steel bollards, which appear to have been placed there precisely for this purpose.

2. There is no dropped kerb for a considerable distance after the Three Shells. Cyclists angling to enter the cycle path from the road will find their front wheel sliding out from under them as there is this kerb between the cycle path and the road.

3. There are now black bollards with no reflectives on a black surface, directly in the path of cyclists heading towards marine Parade. I dread to think of the injuries these will cause when a cyclist approaching the pier does not see them at night.

Please see the photograph below, and the video at the following link to see this from a cyclist's perspective:  http://youtu.be/knoAZutugf4

I can only assume these additions to the cycle path entrance have been made to discourage cyclists from entering and using the cycle path.

You will also note in the video that even though I was unable to enter the cycle path due to the ongoing works I was still tooted and abused by the driver of a black VW Beetle registration S600 PWD. (you will note that on the return journey along Marine Parade I was almost flattened by a Hanson cement truck, registration LX07 AVE, in his rush to get to the red light at the Kursaal).

Cllr Cox, I cycle at speeds averaging 15 to 20mph, sometimes more. It is too unsafe to use a shared pavement at these speeds, and recent government advice is that cyclists intending to travel at speeds exceeding 18mph should use the road and not cycle paths. As the cycle paths along the entire length of Southend seafront are not built to standard* I tend to use the road in whichever direction I am moving faster due to headwinds.

I have some questions:

Was a safety audit carried out before these works commenced at the entrance to the Western Esplanade cycle path, and if so, who passed this design off as safe for cyclists?

Can you give me your assurance that dropped kerbs will be added at the Western Esplanade cycle path entrance in order to ensure cyclist safety?

Yours sincerely,

*'Not built to standard' means they are not 3.2 meters wide, as recommended for two-way cycle paths. A recent news story highlighted how these sub-standard paths are a danger to cyclists:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17156836 When I read that tragic story I was immediately reminded of the Western Esplanade cycle path which is also too narrow for a two-way cycle path, and also has no division between road and cyclists to prevent a similar incident happening

AndyK

« Reply #1062 on: 01 March, 2012, 11:50:43 am »
My email was sent at 11.22am.

Reply from Cllr Flewitt @ 11.26am:

Dear Andy,
We will look at the points you make and answer the questions as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Mark
Cllr Flewitt

Reply from Cllr Cox @ 11.41am:

Dear Mr K...

Many thanks for your email. I have passed this email to officers for their consideration and have asked for a detailed response to the questions that you have raised.

Kind Regards

Tony

It seems CCing half the town's Independents and the CTC gets councillors to read and act.  O:-)

« Reply #1063 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:52:32 pm »
I was there earlier today and took this

It seems to me they want to force cyclists to use the ramp from  the road or they will be allowing a shared path under the Pier.

If anyone wants to use my pics I can supply them without the watermark.  ;)

« Reply #1064 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »
@Andy Shocking overtake from the concrete lorry. Pleased thats on the video to the council.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1065 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »
Nutty asked me to post this a couple of weeks back. Makes interesting reading.

Sorry for the the delay in remembering. :facepalm:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1066 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
@Andy Shocking overtake from the concrete lorry. Pleased thats on the video to the council.
Surely that was exceeding the 20mph limit!! ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

AndyK

« Reply #1067 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:56:48 pm »
Surely that was exceeding the 20mph limit!! ::-)

I was moving at approx. 15mph when he passed in his desperation to get to the red light.

AndyK

« Reply #1068 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »
Nutty asked me to post this a couple of weeks back. Makes interesting reading.

Sorry for the the delay in remembering. :facepalm:

I saw that. The Southend end of project report claims about £3.5 million spent. So where's the rest of the £6 million they had for cycling in Southend?

« Reply #1069 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:03:02 am »
I saw that. The Southend end of project report claims about £3.5 million spent. So where's the rest of the £6 million they had for cycling in Southend?
Spend it correcting all the facilities they've put in?  ::-)

AndyK

« Reply #1070 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:49:42 am »
More replies from councillors this morning (actually Cllr Woodley's was last night but I forgot to post it):

Dear Tony

I'm sure you will take action very quickly on the issues raised by Mr K..., and would you please keep me in the loop so that I can satisfy myself that the appropiate action has been taken.

Regards Ron (Woodley)

Hello Tony

I reiterate what Ron has said. Mr K... is absolutely right, I had a ride in the sunshine the other day and nearly came a cropper myself. I meant to raise the matter with Cheryl earlier this week when we had a meeting, however I forgot. Therefore, would you please have the matter looked at as a matter of urgency.

Thanks
Regards
Mike Assenheim

« Reply #1071 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:54:14 am »
That's a good response. Someone on the council has actually ridden on the path and seen, or not, the hazard at the end of it.

On a slightly OT note I reported the junction of the cycle path, A127 and Rat Lane, Benfleet, for not having a dropped kerb. Essex CC rather than SBC.

AndyK

« Reply #1072 on: 02 March, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »
Looks like something might actually happen. Went past today and they've placed a safety barrier between the bollards. So at least the potential danger posed by that kerb and the bollards has been acknowledged. Hopefully now they'll drop the kerbs.

« Reply #1073 on: 05 March, 2012, 05:55:05 pm »
I had a ride along Sutton Road at the weekend. It looks as though, to me, that a double white line has now been put in place from the church, Sutton Parish Church. I turned off at Shopland Road so not sure how far they continue along Sutton Road.
Btw no one attempted to overtake. Perhaps I was lucky  :-\

AndyK

« Reply #1074 on: 06 March, 2012, 12:49:16 pm »
Response from SBC to my email:

Dear Mr K...

May thanks for your email regarding the cycle path on Western Esplanade. Following your original email on Thursday last week, officers have inspected the site and there is a small step in the kerb to the start of the cycle track (westbound). When officers spoke to the designer it was anticipated that a cyclist entering the track would use the crossing provided to the Three Shells, Adventure Island/Pier and not use the end of the cycle track.

However, upon inspection, officers will arrange for the level difference to be removed by creating a shallow ramp onto the end and the work to create the ramp I understand was carried out yesterday. This will make it safe and any cyclist entering the route will not encounter the kerb.

For the other two points, there is no further dropped kerbs as it is expected that the cyclists will use the cycle track from the start and the black bollards now have red reflective bands on them.

In terms of safety audit – yes this was carried out and officers inspected the scheme prior to opening. The route is intended to be used by all cyclists, particularly families and those perhaps not as experienced as yourself. Of course, cycling on the road is probably preferable if you are travelling at a speed of 15 to 20mph.

In terms of the width of the cycle track there is no definitive standard, guidance varies and the judgement remains with the Highway Authority based upon experience, codes of practice and advice notes. A cycle track of 2 metres will allow two cyclists to pass each other – the cycle route on the seafront is 2.5m which allows for the presence of kerbs. Officers are satisfied that the width is adequate. The accident referred to in your email I believed happened in June 2010, as the cyclist was travelling along a 1.9 metre-wide cycle path.

I trust this email answers your concerns but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or queries.

Kind Regards

Tony

Well, a little is better than nothing I suppose.