Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 243589 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #1075 on: 06 March, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »
Response from SBC to my email:

....A cycle track of 2 metres will allow two cyclists to pass each other – the cycle route on the seafront is 2.5m which allows for the presence of kerbs. Officers are satisfied that the width is adequate. The accident referred to in your email I believed happened in June 2010, as the cyclist was travelling along a 1.9 metre-wide cycle path.

Well, a little is better than nothing I suppose.

I have challenged SBC to meet me many times on the seafront with a tape measure to show me where that path is 2.5m wide.  They never have, and I have never found 2.5m usable width either!

When I measured it from base of kerb to white line is well under 2.5m, and as per LTN2/08 you should subtract 0.25m from that measurement to cater for the kerb upstand.   If you measure, as I did, the seafront path taking into account the usable width as per LTN2/08, then the width is 1.8m, 0.1m narrower than the 1.9m referred to in the news article and SBC reply

Also to note is that LTN2/08, which SBC claimed they were following, states that 3m is desirable width, that stated minimum widths should not be treated as targets, and that for items such as kerb upstands (which occur at both sides of the seafront path) should add 0.25m to the width.

Being kind and only counting the seaward side of the path, therefore it should be 3.25m from kerb to centre of white line.    Instead it is is 2.5m from kerb to road.   Please, somebody, tell me who would ride 1mm from the road (with handlebars overhanging into the narrowed carriageway) balanced on a kerb edge and on the wrong side of the white line demarcating the cycle path.....

I detect spin and attempt at clever wording here....

Sigh

ps, LTN2/08 was referred to in my original post of this topic.   DfT have now archived this for some reason, and so the link in my OP points at this archive.    I have a copy saved locally here if you need it.

« Reply #1076 on: 06 March, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »

Of course, cycling on the road is probably preferable if you are travelling at a speed of 15 to 20mph.

Ask them why they have narrowed the road and made it more dangerous for many cyclists then.    the tooting in your you-tube video is a classic, and one of the many reasons why I 1) gave up cycling and 2) moved away from southend.

« Reply #1077 on: 06 March, 2012, 03:55:43 pm »
Off along the seafront now. Will grab a picture of the works update.

AndyK

« Reply #1078 on: 06 March, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »
The work isn't finished yet:

@Nutty, I may use some of your first post in my reply to Cllr Cox. Is that ok with you?

« Reply #1079 on: 06 March, 2012, 05:40:26 pm »
That drain looks troublesome.
In some way that post actually will make you ride around the drain, but I bet it was never intended like that.

« Reply #1080 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:10:21 pm »

Dear Mr K...

May thanks for your email regarding the cycle path on Western Esplanade. Following your original email on Thursday last week, officers have inspected the site and there is a small step in the kerb to the start of the cycle track (westbound). When officers spoke to the designer it was anticipated that a cyclist entering the track would use the crossing provided to the Three Shells, Adventure Island/Pier and not use the end of the cycle track.

However, upon inspection, officers will arrange for the level difference to be removed by creating a shallow ramp onto the end and the work to create the ramp I understand was carried out yesterday. This will make it safe and any cyclist entering the route will not encounter the kerb.

For the other two points, there is no further dropped kerbs as it is expected that the cyclists will use the cycle track from the start and the black bollards now have red reflective bands on them.

In terms of safety audit – yes this was carried out and officers inspected the scheme prior to opening. The route is intended to be used by all cyclists, particularly families and those perhaps not as experienced as yourself. Of course, cycling on the road is probably preferable if you are travelling at a speed of 15 to 20mph.

In terms of the width of the cycle track there is no definitive standard, guidance varies and the judgement remains with the Highway Authority based upon experience, codes of practice and advice notes. A cycle track of 2 metres will allow two cyclists to pass each other – the cycle route on the seafront is 2.5m which allows for the presence of kerbs. Officers are satisfied that the width is adequate. The accident referred to in your email I believed happened in June 2010, as the cyclist was travelling along a 1.9 metre-wide cycle path.

I trust this email answers your concerns but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or queries.

Kind Regards

Tony

Well, a little is better than nothing I suppose.

Just like to add that on Sunday morning around 0730 I crashed trying to gain entry into the Cycle Lane - approaching from the road onto the path from the Pier. My front tyre hit the small curb, which is on the road side - assuming that you should be approaching it from that angle.
Bike suffered damage: front shifter, rear derailleur and cables knackered, torn coat and jersey.
Personally I was pretty unscathed - a couple of grazes and sore neck/shoulders but thankfully I could work the last two days (as I am self employed it would have been a disaster if I couldn't have).

Anyway, I've phoned the council and shall be receiving a claim form for the accident as I believe that the design of the cycle path was the route cause of my accident.
Will send in my claim and also a letter to express my disappointment and angst/injuries.

AndyK

« Reply #1081 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
Make sure you tell them you were lucky to escape serious injury by not landing on a bollard.

« Reply #1082 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
@Nutty, I may use some of your first post in my reply to Cllr Cox. Is that ok with you?

Everything in this thread is in the public domain.    Use anything I typed (in this thread and the original one) as you feel fit.

If you need the LTN2/08 pdf, in case you can't get it from the DfT, just drop me a mail (mail is preferable to a PM as I don't have consistent access to yacf at the moment).

« Reply #1083 on: 07 March, 2012, 03:38:37 am »
That drain looks troublesome.
In some way that post actually will make you ride around the drain, but I bet it was never intended like that.

I've been wondering what the photo reminded me of....   then I remembered!    It's just the same as the installation on the A127 of a few years ago (where I did manage to get them to move the bollards).

« Reply #1084 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:26:18 am »
I've been wondering what the photo reminded me of....   then I remembered!    It's just the same as the installation on the A127 of a few years ago (where I did manage to get them to move the bollards).
The newish junction revamp at Progress Road/A127 has left three sets of overhead signs with both legs in the cycle path on the approach to Progress Rd, eastbound.

« Reply #1085 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »
The newish junction revamp at Progress Road/A127 has left three sets of overhead signs with both legs in the cycle path on the approach to Progress Rd, eastbound.
Oops! A slight exaggeration there.

And one more thing...
You are practically forced to use the crossing to get from the south side to the north side of the A127 at Progress Road. If you use the road from The Fairway and take the right hand lane to get onto the right turn lane, on the A127, for Progress Rd. to get onto the shared path you have to, more or less, do a U turn to get on it.

« Reply #1086 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
I've also been to the seafront.
A new ramp and signs.

I waited for the painter to finish the sign (i told a couple of tourists that he couldn't spell "bicycle"  ;D)

I was right! It is a shared path that follows the road and goes under the pier.

AndyK

« Reply #1087 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
I won't be using that 'shared path' in the summer, or at any busy times. That's the busiest section of the seafront for pedestrians. And why are cyclists being directed off the road when Councillor Cox is on record saying "Of course, cycling on the road is probably preferable if you are travelling at a speed of 15 to 20mph."

Those arrows are just going to cause even more conflict between drivers and cyclists as drivers will now say "But there are arrows saying cyclists get off the road…"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1088 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
I was thinking about that last night on my way home from Croydon.  I tend to use the Wandle Trail, rather than the faster and shorter A232.  Why?  Well, because of a cycle facility.  There's a stupid two-way cycle lane which meanders in and out along the westbound side of the road.  But, rather inevitably, it limply crosses joining roads, has bollards in it, veers round a bus shelter, bumps up and down kerbs, and has cars parked in it.  And, of course, peters out before the hazardous junctions either end, dumping you into a crap and vulnerable position on the road. 

When I ride along the road there, I get far more than the usual close passes and yelled comments.  Because, of course, the Road Tax payers' money has been used to build a lane for cyclists (who don't deserve it), and it's the law that I have to use it.*

Last night, I decided it was late enough, and would be quiet enough, to brazen it out.

Actually, now I think about it, we ride east on that road regularly, with no trouble.  It's just the proximity of the farcility which is the problem.

* May contain traces of error, I know.
Getting there...

AndyK

« Reply #1089 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
Southend is screaming out for a CM.  :demon:

« Reply #1090 on: 08 March, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »
Southend is screaming out for a CM.  :demon:
One started during 2007, IIRC, on the second Tuesday of the month. Don't know if it's still going or when it died a natural death. Probably didn't help as it was a time when the police were putting the boot in on all things CM!

Edit: just done a search and it appears that it started Mar 2006 and is/was on the second Friday of the month.

AndyK

« Reply #1091 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »
Went down and measured the width of the cycle track today.

At the Shoebury end by Uncle Toms.

In this photo the tape measure is extended to 2.5m

The total width here is 2.11m

By the now demolished corporation pier:

Usable - if by usable we mean riding with tyre sidewalls rubbing the kerb - width here is 1.98m

Then opposite The Esplanade pub:

The usable width here is 2.22m - again if tyre sidewalls are rubbing the kerb:

I have not included the width of the white line or roadside kerb, which is an additional 30cm, thus giving us the council's magical 2.5m figure, even though at least 40cm of that is unusable.

« Reply #1092 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »
Its a crying shame that as a Southend resident who cycles I feel that I can no longer use the seafront during the busier summer days, its a good mix to get both sea and country riding achieved in an outing, as I refuse to use the inadequate cycle lanes along the seafront and suffer the abuse of car drivers/pedestrians.

I recall the time 2 years ago that I avoided using the cycle lane on Thorpe Esplanade one morning at about 7am and suffered a close pass by a clapped out Fiesta, prompting a one finger salute from me. The driver slowed down so I pulled up alongside him and he asked me why I didn't use the cycle lane, I retorted I don't have to and thanks for the close pass as he obviously only saw my finger but not the rest of me.

I had the satisfaction that my bike was worth more than his car......  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1093 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

Those arrows are just going to cause even more conflict between drivers and cyclists as drivers will now say "But there are arrows saying cyclists get off the road…"

You Someone could always do some guerilla artwork to have the arrow pointing both left and straight on.

Definitely looks to me like Southend could do with a big bunch of cyclists on the road in peak season, preferably on a regular basis.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1094 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:16:21 pm »
Definitely looks to me like Southend could do with a big bunch of cyclists on the road in peak season, preferably on a regular basis.

Well, we did try (was it really 2006!!??).  Some were arrested, the rest were convinced I was an undercover cop!  :facepalm:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

AndyK

« Reply #1095 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
How can people be arrested? Is it a crime to be using the road? The problem with CM is it has become too 'polite'. Don't tell councils etc. it's going to happen, just do it. Flash mob style.

« Reply #1096 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:41:16 pm »
Too polite?
No need to be rude. I don't get the point of starting any trouble or even standing in the road holding a bike above your head. Just ride your bike on the road. Make a date known and go, the same as you do when you go any other time. Don't even give it a name. It's not an event, it's just lots of people who happen to be cycling on the road at the same time. Nobody bats an eyelid if there are lots of cars on the same bit of road, or pedestrians on a stretch of footpath.
Friday evenings are a nice time for a pootle by the seaside.

AndyK

Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #1097 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:32:22 am »
By 'too polite' I meant notifying 'the authorities' beforehand. I see no reason to do that. As you say, motorists don't when they hold their CMs every day.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1098 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:01:04 pm »
How can people be arrested? Is it a crime to be using the road?

If you're riding a bike, it is in Southend!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #1099 on: 12 March, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

Well, we did try (was it really 2006!!??).  Some were arrested, the rest were convinced I was an undercover cop!  :facepalm:

LOL, I had forgotten that everyone thought you were an undercover cop  ;D
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel