Author Topic: (re) Building a cheap trailer  (Read 3394 times)

(re) Building a cheap trailer
« on: 17 May, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »
Although I originally posted in the RTFSTTDRWTOTO, I've decided this does really warrant a thread of it's own.

If you have had a good look at my website, you may know that I have messed about with homebuilt trailers. Unfortunately my box trailer chassis has cracked for a second time (it has been in use most weeks for the past 8 years).

Well, I bought a trailer from the dump for £2 today.  :D

The cloth body is too far gone to repair:  :facepalm:

So I've stripped it down to the chassis  :demon:

...and searched the shed barn scrapheap for a suitable container to fit it. A 'fish box' is about right.  ::-)

I need to make some brackets to fix it on. I'll also give the chassis a coat of paint and swap the hitch for the type I use on my other trailers:  :smug:

I'm also thinking about getting a big kit bag that will swap in place of the box, for camping trips.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and I have already collected the bits I need to build 2 more trailers. I could have 6 trailers on the road by the end of the year - hopefully this thread will end up with a photo of me towing all of them in a train.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: (re) Building a cheap trailer
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »
I need to make a trailer. I might be tapping you up about hitches

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »
I have a webpage about them. With a link to the supplier I used. Postage was high on them when I bought. If there is enough interest, I might get a load and sell on.

On Saturday, I was hauling over 100kg of sand on the big trailer.  :smug:

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:56:08 pm »
Progress:

Original hitch removed:

M10 bolt filed down and welded into a bit of handlebar - which happens to be a good fit in the trailer drawbar. the new hitch screws on to this.

Wheel bearings serviced

A couple of aluminium box section mounts cut & drilled to hold the box

Trailer frame painted with 3 coats Hammerite gunmetal grey textured (discontinued=cheap  ;)), and it's in use within 5 days  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:40:16 am »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

kevinp

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2010, 11:21:45 am »
This is a really cheap way to make a trailer :) very similar to mine

Mine was a bit wider than yours I'm guessing, so to make it fit through the doors to the flat I cut in half length ways and took 100mm out of it.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »
I did a similar thing, except I bought a cheap kiddy trailer off ebay, removed the awning part, leaving just the frame, bolted some wood onto it, and then screwed 2 large plastic containers onto it. 

I've found the limit of things I can carry on the rack and in panniers is 25 kg, so the trailer is ideal for larger shopping trips/going to the tip.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »
I'm getting motivated to visit the tip (especially as the Rubber Chicken is too big for the Yak).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2010, 12:04:19 am »
Fabby all round !  :thumbsup: