Poll

Roughly how many incident-free miles had you cycled before you were last "in collision" with a motor vehicle?

Less than 1000 miles
1001-5000 miles
5001-10000 miles
10001-20000 miles
20001-30000 miles
30001-40000 miles
40001-50000 miles
More than that
It hasn't happened yet

Author Topic: The "have you been knocked off" poll  (Read 178276 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The "have you been knocked off" poll
« Reply #175 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
A dooring.  Just now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruth

« Reply #176 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:21:16 pm »
Oh, bugger!

You okay Basil?  How's the bike?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #177 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:48:32 pm »
Fine, thanks Ruthie.  See the commute thread.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #178 on: 18 July, 2014, 06:01:17 pm »
:( - Glad you're not too hurt. Get a couple pints of liquid painkiller in you before the adrenaline wears off though ;)

[eta] I see you're way ahead of me there :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #179 on: 15 September, 2014, 11:44:39 am »
3 years ago this month - my only bike accident involving another vehicle.

Short version: Mini-bus taxi crossed a give way line when I was right in front of him. Broke my right knee (first broken bone of my relatively long life). Pain was relieved by laughter when a passing drunk bent over me as I lay in the road, and offered to 'batter' the driver.

Long version is here http://wp.me/p1o7dN-AT

Joe

spindrift

« Reply #180 on: 03 October, 2014, 10:42:05 am »
Bloody hell, what happened to the driver Joe?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #181 on: 03 October, 2014, 11:01:35 am »
Nearly crowded off the road by Merc driver on Wednesday, waved at him annoyedly but not impolitely (didn't have time to bend the requisite number of fingers), he jammed on brakes & I ran into his nearside mirror. No damage either side, heated words exchanged, he drove off, I rode on. Had a witness, could have reported him; but when I looked at the pic I took when he got out of his car I found that he was walking in front of his number plate as I clicked the shutter button. Anyway, not worth the hassle.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #182 on: 08 October, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »
nearly 7 years, I think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #183 on: 11 October, 2014, 03:10:52 am »
Bloody hell, what happened to the driver Joe?

Police didn't trouble him at all at first and he failed for three months to respond to letters from his insurance company. So I complained to the police who then 'remembered' to charge him with careless driving. Eventually he decided to plead guilty by letter. Don't know what he got - probably a small fine, and a big jump in his insurance premium.

Andrew

« Reply #184 on: 11 October, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »
Only once any many years/km ago now.

Crossing Old Street roundabout on my way home from university, mid afternoon-ish. I was on the roundabout when some vehicle, also on the roundabout, decided it wanted the exit I was just passing. It clipped my front wheel, sending me sprawling, and disappeared up City Road.

Then, as I was sat there dazed in the middle of the road with blood running down my arm, a car approaching hooted at me. As if I'd chosen to sit in the middle of the road. Nobody stopped.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #185 on: 11 October, 2014, 04:43:21 pm »
Then, as I was sat there dazed in the middle of the road with blood running down my arm, a car approaching hooted at me. As if I'd chosen to sit in the middle of the road. Nobody stopped.

Yes, I've had that happen.  I almost burst into tears.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #186 on: 21 October, 2014, 11:46:47 am »
First actual off last night after about 7000 miles with but a couple of near misses in the last 3 years or so.
Crossing a lit roundabout less than half a mile from home when a car driver pulled out from the left as I was passing - a classic SMIDSY scenario.  If the road hadn't been wet I would probably have been able to avoid the car but bike wheels lost traction and I slid in to the driver's side smashing off the wing mirror, still not quite what with though.
Limping and generally moving gingerly this morning, expect that to continue for a few days before getting back in the saddle.
My magic hat survived without a scratch proving that it had absolutely no purpose that was pressed in to action last night except maybe not enabling the attending police officer another reason for only just stopping short of blaming me for the incident when he saw my dark sweatshirt on the ambulance trolly saying 'is that what you were wearing?!', well yes, under my coat.  Apparently Hope Vision 1 lights are not enough warning to motorists that a cyclist is approaching at the same pace as other traffic using a lit roundabout at dusk which was quite busy at the time although the road was clear for me, at least it should have been.
Was well looked after at the roadside by two witnesses who made sure I did the right things while waiting for ambulance & police to attend.  Checked over at scene and allowed to go home.  Police issued a compulsory Driver Improvement Course to the distraught and remorseful driver which I think is probably the best outcome rather than push for a careless driving prosecution, it clearly was careless driving but dragging it out for months isn't going to do anyone any good when the driver is going to be reeducated anyway.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #187 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:18:41 am »
My one and only collision happened on my way to work in good lighting conditions. I was riding along a main road (not much traffic) and there was a small queue of cars waiting to pull out of a side road on my left. As I passed, the lead car rolled forward at maybe 5mph and clipped my rear wheel, sending me sprawling across the road. Hard to explain.

I was only bruised and the bike was fine. The driver was apologetic and everything was amicable. I can only assume the driver was distracted (phone/radio?) or his foot slipped. He was shaken and clearly not enjoying the experience (others had stopped to offer help) so I think he may have had a useful wake-up call.

I am 54 and have been riding on the road since I was about 7, so one minor incident seems pretty good going.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #188 on: 30 May, 2015, 04:48:24 pm »
Tuesday! Managed to hit a van that kept on coming out of a side road. Police, ambulance and a trip to the wonderful St George's. Face a mess and a collar for 12 weeks with a couple of vertebral fractures. Finally home yesterday. Will stick a photo up in the cycling injuries thread!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #189 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »
Tuesday! Managed to hit a van that kept on coming out of a side road. Police, ambulance and a trip to the wonderful St George's. Face a mess and a collar for 12 weeks with a couple of vertebral fractures. Finally home yesterday. Will stick a photo up in the cycling injuries thread!
Bugger.

GWS
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

menthel

« Reply #190 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:58:37 pm »
Bugger.

GWS

Thanks!

fuzzy

« Reply #191 on: 19 June, 2015, 11:37:53 pm »
See here

menthel

« Reply #192 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:30:05 am »
See here

GWS! At least you got hit by someone reasonable!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #193 on: 03 January, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »
Around mid-September, stationary at a roundabout waiting to go straight over, traffic from right.  On the fixed MTB, with panniers and a small rucksack with the weeks shopping.

The bike started moving underneath me

Turned round and slapped the wing of the car behind me that was doing the shunting, which stopped.  Woman behind the wheel holding a phone to her ear.

"Sorry, I didn't see you".  :demon:

Some choice words followed.   No damage other than a tyre mark on one of the panniers
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #194 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »
The only time I collided with a car was when I rode my Coventry eagle into my grandparent's (stationary but occupied) car.  I was seeing how fast I could go down te lane were we lived in competition with some of my brothers.  I won.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #195 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »
Was that your speed before or after you parted company with the bike?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #196 on: 05 May, 2016, 10:16:49 am »
I suspect my highest speed was in the trajectory after I left my bike over the handlebars and before my impact with the car.   :o
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #197 on: 21 July, 2016, 01:06:53 am »
Define knocked off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #198 on: 27 July, 2016, 10:15:09 am »
Technically, after leaving the bike, everything is deceleration.
Getting there...

« Reply #199 on: 27 July, 2016, 06:36:31 pm »
On the contrary, as Cycling Daddy will have discovered, after leaving a bicycle you accelerate towards the ground at 9.8m/s2.

Though not for very long.