Author Topic: Packed tent sizes  (Read 4828 times)

steveB

Packed tent sizes
« on: 01 April, 2008, 11:14:20 am »
I might need a small tent for emergency use only, when touring.  I have been looking at several cheap options (up to £50) and weights of 1.9kg to 2.5kg are acceptable, packed length seems to be the problem.

Any ideas for a small, when packed away tent that fits my budget?

Cheers

Steve

Chris S

Re: Packed tent sizes
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:18:24 am »
Pack length is often governed by the length of pole sections. You might be able to change that by strapping the poles to your top tube and repacking the tent differently, elsewhere on the bike. Just a thought.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:18:53 am »
The packed length is probably too high because cheap tents use fibreglass poles and these only come with fairly long sections.  How about taking the poles out of the tent bag, repacking it so it's not too long, and strapping the poles to your top-tube?

I wouldn't want to carry 2.5kg of tent just for emergencies though - can't you get a B+B instead?

[edit] beaten.  wot ^ 'e sed.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:22:05 am »
Or even a bivvy bag?

steveB

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:44:49 am »
Thanks for the replies.

The weight isn't that important because me and my mate are old and slow tourers, we only do about 50 miles per day at a pretty slow pace and stop a lot.

Good idea about strapping the poles to the tube.

We've booked some B&B's and had to book a Best Western hotel for a couple of nights because the D-Day landings anniversary is around the time we're going and that part of Normandy, it can get quite booked up, that's why I thought I might take a tent but hopefully not have to use it.

We've only got a rough idea of where we're going and a lot will be ad hoc.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:39:27 pm »
I've got a Saunders Jetpacker (not Plus)

Pole sections (A-pole) are 34cm
Packed diameter approx 12cm
weight approx 1.5kg

I'm 6'1". Sleeping, I touch the ends of the inner, and it's a bit like being in a coffin. If you want to cook in the porch, you have to do it propped up on one elbow.
It also needs decent pegging ground to withstand bad weather, but if it's got it, it's quite sturdy.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:45:39 pm »
Packed size is only relevant if you pack it in the bag provided.  It's much better to stuff the tent into a pannier and, as suggested, tie the poles to the bike/rack.

take a look at WILDDAY for some bargains.

Some decent Gelert and Vango tents for <£50

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:51:51 pm »
There's a 2.5 Kg, 2 man tent in Lidl tomorrow.

steveB

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2008, 10:19:05 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, I will take note.  I will look in Lidl tomorrow and my panniers are Kalahari 60 litre so I will probably stuff the tent in one of those and tie the poles to a tube.

PH

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:35:53 pm »
For just in case camping, consider leaving the tent inner at home and just using the flysheet.  With a bit of plastic to sleep on it's fine for a night or two. You'll get more condensation, I never found it a problem, it never got so bad it'd be dripping and the extra space made it less likely to touch the sides.  I had a cheap Coleman tent which weighed around 1.4kg when used like this.