7 (70%)
Sunday 12 July?
2 (20%)
Another weekend if possible?
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Linked Events

• Reggie's Ride to Regicide: 11 July, 2009

Author Topic: Reggie's Ride to Regicide - Saturday 11 July  (Read 31586 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Reggie's Ride to Regicide - Saturday 11 July
« on: 05 June, 2009, 10:47:27 am »
I've decided it's my turn to host a ride and so I'd like to invite you to join me on Reggie's Ride to Regicide on Saturday 11 July  (which appeared to be the favourite poll wise).

The Route

This will be a 50-ish mile ride from Cambridge to Ely and back, following NCN Routes 51 and 11  via Stow-cum-Quay, Lode, the Swaffhams, Burwell, Wicken Fen and the Great Ouse to Ely and then via Witchford, Wilburton, Cottenham, Landbeach, Waterbeach and along the Cam River Path back to Cambridge.

Road Surfaces

Much of the route out of Cambridge will be on traffic free paths (some cycle only and some shared use).  Once we are past Lode, there are shared use paths alongside the road which people may wish to use, partly because they have better/smoother surfaces than the road.

On the way out there is about 1 mile of 'off-road'.  The first part is several hundred yards of cinder path on the approach to Wicken Fen.  I would rate this as a 2 on the LQLL (Laura's Quivering Lower Lip) Scale  ;) and I wouldn't recommend riding it on ridiculously skinny tyres.  The second part through Wicken Fen itself.  This is on compact, smooth and well cared for dirt paths - these are a 1 on the LQLL Scale and I've done them on smooth skinny tyres with no problems.  The final part is about ½ mile of dirt track after Padney before you get to the river path to Ely.  This is about  a 1-2 on the LQLL Scale and is bumpy but not excessively so.  I've done it on skinny tyres before with no problem.  However, it is worth doing for the most spectacular view of Ely Cathedral.

On the way back, the route is all on cycle paths or roads up to Waterbeach.  Some of the road surfaces aren't wonderful but they wouldn't rate an entry on the LQLL Scale.  From Waterbeach back to Cambridge we would use the path along the Cam.  This is a smooth, compact dirt path, similar to that through Wicken Fen and would rate a 1 on the LQLL Scale at the most.  Easily done on skinny tyres and worth it for the views alone.

Programme for the Day

10.00-10.30 a.m.  Meet at Cambridge Station.

Elevenses-ish at the NT Cafe at Wicken Fen, which serves lovely CAKE and local ice cream.

A leisurely Lunch in a suitable pubbe in Ely, with time for a visit to the Cathedral and the 'regicide' reference.

A leisurely ride back to Cambridge, with time for further visits to hostelries should the group so desire.

Headwinds

I'm afraid that this being Fenland, we will get a headwind, either on the way out or back.  On the way out would be best and we shall consider reversing the route depending on the wind direction on the day.

So, who's up for it?

Attendees

The attendee's so far...

Possibles:

Mike + the fragrant, delectable Mrs Mike!
Clarion (got himself run over to avoid this ride)  ;)
ToKaMaK
Bobb
Alan and Marj (plus cakes I hope... :P)
Slowfen
RichForrest
JJ (+?)
Basil
RogerT + Mrs T
PippaG
Wobblyjohn
Jurek

Definites:
Regulator
Fat Bloke
The Wowbaggers
AndrewC
JT
Delthebike
Auntie (sp) Helen
Emily & Dasmoth
Teethgrinder (World Food Programme warned that emergency food lift may be needed)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Reggie's Ride to Regicide
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2009, 10:57:06 am »
Headwinds

I'm afraid that this being Fenland, we will get a headwind, either on the way out or and on the way back. 

Sounds like a great deal of fun, and I hope our much revised calendar for the forthcoming months (for which read: carefully & meticulously planned, then abruptly binned completely following Events) can accommodate. :)

Felt it important to make the above amendment in terms of complete honesty & accuracy.  The prevailing wind in the Fens is an Againsterly.
Getting there...

Re: Reggie's Ride to Regicide - 11 or 12 July
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:06:34 am »
Interested.

Regulator

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:18:42 am »
I shall even ensure that there is a supply of pickled eggs...

(Waits for certain forummers to bite)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:30:52 am »
put me down as a possible too, plz.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:34:11 am »
One must consult one's diary before committing...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:47:01 am »
It would be nice to meet people but I'd probably need to come down the night beforehand and make a weekend of it.

Let me have a think when I'm not at work, 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:57:06 am »
It would be nice to meet people but I'd probably need to come down the night beforehand and make a weekend of it.
A weekend camping trip is a strong possibility.
Ride up Friday, stay here
Cambridge Camping and Caravanning Club
19 Cabbage Moor
Great Shelford
Cambridgeshire
CB22 5NB
do the ride Sat/Sun and ride back next day.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:07:54 pm »
I shall even ensure that there is a supply of pickled eggs...

(Waits for certain forummers to bite)

Oh well then, count me in! Someone wake bobb up!

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »
OK, I guess I'm in if there are eggs  :P

Bit of an arse to get to Cambridge though.

I would like to come - this ride is in my stomping ground of the late 90s. Can we not stay too long in Ely though? The people there give me the creeps!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »
If it is raining I'd be a possibility. Otherwise, I'll be at the Ashes.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:41:29 pm »
... The people there give me the creeps!

Yeah - it's the extra fingers...

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »
...the extra fingers...

*response intercepted for reasons of taste & decency*
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
... The people there give me the creeps!

Yeah - it's the extra fingers...

I'd like to tell a little story if I may? I'd completely forgotten about this but just the mention of Ely brought it all back.

When I used to work up there I was tasked with entertaining an Italian client for an evening. Boss gave me a fist full of pound notes, put me up in the same B & B as Italian guy and told me to take him out around Ely for a good time. Rock 'n roll!!

Fortunately, said Italian client was absolutely crazy and a womanising piss head! We got on rather well  :P

We trawled the pubs looking for the local talent. We didn't find any. Paolo was shocked by the excessively fingered Fen girls we encountered.

So we settled in to a pub for the rest of the night.

It soon became clear that there was a quiz night about to start. There were loads of teams entering. It was clearly the most happening place in Ely!

Paolo couldn't understand what on Earth was going on and kept on going on about how crazy British people are. This coming from a super crazy Italian!

So I entered us in the quiz. To cut a long story short out of about 12 teams of at least 6 people each, me and Paolo came second!

The fact that a pissed up Essex boy and a confused Italian could thrash the majority of what seemed like all of Ely in a quiz tells you something about Fenlanders  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
I will be in Derby on 11/12 for Roger the Hilldodger's big Cycle Weekend thing - so I've voted for a different weekend.  >:(

I would like to point out at this point that I am not a native Fenlander.  :P

I be a Norfolk lad.  ::-)

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Regulator

« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2009, 01:21:03 pm »
I thought your extra fingers had been removed by fettling accidents...  ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor

alan

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2009, 02:03:20 pm »
It's along way to go for a ride but 'cause it's you please regard Marj & I as "possible".
Having said that I am now going to check-out the C&CC site referred to above.

Just checked the work-planner in the office.Saturday would be better than Sunday for us.

« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2009, 05:26:54 pm »
Mmmm I'd need to get down by train from Liverpool on the Friday. Camping would be fun or there is a YHA as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2009, 05:57:40 pm »

Can I register interest as a resident of the fens ( no extra fingers, webbed feet and only the odd carrot crunching tendencies)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2009, 06:02:10 pm »
Count me in!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2009, 05:18:39 pm »
I see this has turned up in the calendar. Is the date now fixed or just penciled in?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »
I'd like to come along too, assuming that the route isn't too trike-unfriendly and that I can get a day pass from Uncle James's antifouling requirements.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »
I see this has turned up in the calendar. Is the date now fixed or just penciled in?

Pencilled in for now.  But the vote so far is for 11 July.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #24 on: 06 June, 2009, 08:02:25 pm »
I'd like to come along too, assuming that the route isn't too trike-unfriendly and that I can get a day pass from Uncle James's antifouling requirements.

There are some 'off road' bits which may not be too trike friendly and you'd have to take slowly, but I am sure that there will be gentlemen around to help you out if need be.

You'd be very welcome!

Green Party Councillor