Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 134930 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #725 on: 24 July, 2018, 04:07:42 pm »
ouch !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #726 on: 24 July, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
Come on, lad !

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #727 on: 24 July, 2018, 04:10:05 pm »
You got this !

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #728 on: 24 July, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »
bother but \o/

« Reply #729 on: 24 July, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
Now comes the real race

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #730 on: 24 July, 2018, 05:25:05 pm »
Just saw a clip of Gilbert being helped to his feet on the far side of the wall. It looks as if he just missed landing on a block of stone.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Samuel D

« Reply #731 on: 24 July, 2018, 06:00:06 pm »
That was a phenomenal bit of descending by Alaphilippe. I wish I could do that. His lean angle on some of those high-speed sweepers was insane. I knew it was over for Yates even before he crashed under the pressure. He’d have needed a full minute on Alaphilippe to survive that descent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #732 on: 24 July, 2018, 06:01:46 pm »
Stage 16: Carcassonne > Bagnères-de-Luchon

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #733 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »
Highlights prog says that Gilbert is out after that crash :'(

Démare came in 10 minutes behind the main autobus, who were themselves half an hour back on Alaphilippe.

Samuel D

« Reply #734 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:28:10 pm »
Look at the drop and landing area in this photo. Gilbert is lucky to be alive and kicking.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #735 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:30:58 pm »
Mrs P and I did tomorrow's climb to the Col de Portet in 2013. Some stretches of the road were unpaved and there were cows cooling in the tunnel near the top. A Frenchman on a mountain bike expressed his surprise at us being up there on our road bikes  :thumbsup:

I presume the road's been improved since then.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #736 on: 24 July, 2018, 08:33:22 pm »
Look at the drop and landing area in this photo. Gilbert is lucky to be alive and kicking.

That brings a tear to your eye, just looking at it. Hope he recovers fully soon!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #737 on: 25 July, 2018, 12:22:08 am »
Mrs P and I did tomorrow's climb to the Col de Portet in 2013. Some stretches of the road were unpaved and there were cows cooling in the tunnel near the top. A Frenchman on a mountain bike expressed his surprise at us being up there on our road bikes  :thumbsup:

I presume the road's been improved since then.

On the live show TV's M Smith interviewed a madman who has been running the whole route. He too noted that the tunnel was full of cows.

ETA: An article on The Comic's site, published about a month ago, says resurfacing is due "in the weeks before the Tour".

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #738 on: 25 July, 2018, 12:26:32 am »

Does anyone know if the team cars can go up the Portet, or is it going to be Motos with a mechanic carrying a bike on their shoulder like it was in the Zoncolan?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #739 on: 25 July, 2018, 06:59:33 am »
That was a phenomenal bit of descending by Alaphilippe. I wish I could do that. His lean angle on some of those high-speed sweepers was insane. I knew it was over for Yates even before he crashed under the pressure. He’d have needed a full minute on Alaphilippe to survive that descent.

I was almost too anxious for him (Alaphilippe) to enjoy it.  All it takes is for the rain to wash out some sand from the forest, or for some council oik to leave a shovelful of grit in the wrong place.

« Reply #740 on: 25 July, 2018, 07:08:30 am »
The roads are swept before each stage, but even so it is basically one big game of chicken.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #741 on: 25 July, 2018, 07:17:12 am »

He'll not be kicking much with a fractured kneecap. Kudos to him for finishing the stage. I see they gave him the combativity prize.

I was listening on headphones when he went over and from the gasp I gave the missus thought I'd had a heart attack.

« Reply #742 on: 25 July, 2018, 08:25:42 am »
Alaphillipe's attempt to wait for Yates was a nice sporting gesture, a shame that his team told him to ride on.

« Reply #743 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:07:29 am »
Phillipe Gilbert is hard as nails. That crash, a fractured kneecap, and he gets back on and rides 50k to the finish including that monster final climb? Where's the smiley for chapeaux!!!?

It was interesting to hear Alaphilipe say that he was waiting for Yates until the team told him not to.  I wonder if Yates had known then he would have hammered it to get back on.  Then again, Alaphilipe would probably have dropped him further down that descent - the guy is a (very very skilled) lunatic descender. It made for an interesting  stage though, even if the GC guys didn't do much.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #744 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:18:05 am »
Will it all kick off today with the GC contenders of will Froome be bieding his tiem and just destroy them all on the ITT?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #745 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:32:20 am »
It'll kick off today.

I have a hunch Sky might use Froome to launch attacks to wear out Dumoulin in order to preserve GT's lead. Something about Froome's body language during the last interview I saw tells me he's dejected.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #746 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:42:33 am »
Orders ≠ desires

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #747 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:46:19 am »
The team is more important than the ego of a single member. Something Nigel Mansell found out to his cost, but it did lead to him being the only person ever to achieve world champion status in both F1 and Indy Car. Apologies, I'll collect my anorak on my way out.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #748 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:55:22 am »
The team is more important than the ego of a single member. Something Nigel Mansell found out to his cost, but it did lead to him being the only person ever to achieve world champion status in both F1 and Indy Car. Apologies, I'll collect my anorak on my way out.

It'll be handed to you by Mario Andretti, who did it first.

« Reply #749 on: 25 July, 2018, 10:01:19 am »
Orders ≠ desires

He looked a bit shaken up.

We'll find out today I supppse