Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 135068 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #925 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:37:23 pm »
Blimey that all kicked off while I was away from any meja stuffs on my way to the train station. I’m now on the train so limited to apps for all the excitement.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #926 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:49:43 pm »
Wow G is still keen
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #927 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »
Great acceleration in the final sprint. Was sad to see Froome suffering but Roglic deserves his place.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #928 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:53:41 pm »
So... the $64 question. Is G good enough at time trialling?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #929 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
Probably yes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #930 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »
So G needs to stay out of trouble and have a good TT to do enough...  Will Froome make the podium I wonder.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #931 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
Groupetto just arrived - OK.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #932 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
Groupetto just arrived - OK.
So Sagan in time?  Good-oh.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #933 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:36:44 pm »
Big bunch including CP Sagan came in at 38'23" down. Taylor Phinney was behind even them but still inside the cutoff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #934 on: 27 July, 2018, 05:55:01 pm »
Jelle Vanendert was even further back and abandoned about halfway through the stage. He probably wouldn't have made the time cut anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #935 on: 27 July, 2018, 06:00:08 pm »
To steal from elsewhere, it's lucky that Porte crashed when he did since he would have been a good candidate to stack it in the misty bits on the Soulor/Aubisque. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #936 on: 27 July, 2018, 06:12:27 pm »
Stage 19: Lourdes > Laruns

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #937 on: 27 July, 2018, 06:14:27 pm »
Jelle Vanendert was even further back and abandoned about halfway through the stage. He probably wouldn't have made the time cut anyway.

Was that on what *** referred to as the "Col d'Aspic"?  Ba-dum, tish!

(He also mentioned the Col des Ordures)

« Reply #938 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
Don't have my copy of Steven Pinker's Language Instinct to hand, but pretty sure Tour de Frances is correct, as 'Tour de France' is the single entity you are making plural. It's similar to why we say Mickey Mouses (if you saw two at Disney, say) rather than Mickey Mice.

No, that can’t be right. There’s only one Mickey Mouse.

Tour de France is french. In french I am pretty sure that all place names are "invariable" which means they can't change. There is in any case only one France while you can have as many tours as you want. therefore Tour de France en pluriel est Tours de France (is that why Farage called for Brexit by any chance?)

Of course tous les cons (et connes) savent que c'est Le Tour - point.

« Reply #939 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:31:33 pm »
If you translate it you wouldn't say 'Tour of Frances' for more than one (might be interesting for other reasons I suppose).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #940 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:33:33 pm »
Just watched the highlights and saw Phinney coming in with a suspected broken nose, looking like he'd done eight rounds with Bouhanni.

« Reply #941 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:37:46 pm »
I too was very pleased to see Super P Sagan survive, in spite of Katusha"s efforts to put him hors delai. He and Alaphilippe are the two riders this tour who for me have really shown a good public image, close to their fans and not deadpan all the time.
Taylor Phinney really was in a bit of a mess when he got in - hope it is only superficial and he doesn't need his nose rebuilding.
Good on G sprinting for the bonus seconds in a close Tour; he presents the image of being more combative than a lot of recent MJ!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #942 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:41:52 pm »
It was only a couple of years ago that Froome went head to head with Crazy P for the stage win and time bonuses after the pelican accidentally blew itself up.

« Reply #943 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:59:58 pm »
It was only a couple of years ago that Froome went head to head with Crazy P for the stage win and time bonuses after the pelican accidentally blew itself up.

Indeed and certain others (including one whose initials are not very different from LA) also did but somehow rather more cynically. I think I must be a G fanboy :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #944 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:13:07 am »
If you translate it you wouldn't say 'Tour of Frances' for more than one (might be interesting for other reasons I suppose).

It sounds more like an anatomical excursion hosted by an accommodating personage of the female persuasion.

As it happens, there are several Tours de France, one of the most prominent being a sailing event with race stages moving round the coast at the same time as the Tour proper. No Alpine stages, even though we do have Alpes Maritimes.

https://www.tourvoile.fr/en/

Hmph. They changed the official name - everyone calls it the Tour de France à la Voile.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #945 on: 28 July, 2018, 08:01:17 am »
Now I come to think of it, I did see a shampoo ad the other day featuring notable Tour drop-out M Kitteh, or a fairly convincing lookalike.  But I've no idea what The Product is for half the sponsors of the Tour teams.

Via the magic of Wikinaccurate and JFGI:

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for that  :thumbsup:

Team Wanty-Gobert have easily the silliest name, and they're also the only teamname that I don't recall once in commentary or news.
Their website has some uninspiring text, such as:
Since the cessation of activity at the end of 2013 of his team Vacansoleil, which participated three times in the Tour de France (from 2011 to 2013) without winning a stage, sporting director Hilaire Van der Schueren has been busy with Wanty-Groupe Gobert. He is a dinosaur in the profession
https://www.letour.fr/en/team/WGG/wanty-groupe-gobert
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #946 on: 28 July, 2018, 09:37:23 am »
No Alpine stages, even though we do have Alpes Maritimes.
So, you can pluralise both - Tours de Frances?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #947 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:10:46 am »
Shouldn't it be Les Tour de France?

#NotALinguist
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #948 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:52:33 am »
No Alpine stages, even though we do have Alpes Maritimes.
So, you can pluralise both - Tours de Frances?

Not unless you're referring to the accommodating lady.

Shouldn't it be Les Tour de France?

#NotALinguist

Nope.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tour de France 2018
« Reply #949 on: 28 July, 2018, 11:21:45 am »
Team Wanty-Gobert have easily the silliest name, and they're also the only teamname that I don't recall once in commentary or news.

Guillaume Martin has been quite prominent in the battle for the white jersey, although he’s fallen well behind Pierre Latour now. Thomas Degand has been in at least one breakaway (not to be confused with Thomas De Gendt, who is in nearly every breakaway). Likewise Van Keirsbulck, Pasqualon and Offredo. Dion Smith even wore the polka dot jersey in the early stages. They’ve done ok really. They don’t figure much in the business end of stages though, so you probably don’t see much of them if you only watch the highlights.

The one that puzzles me is Fortuneo-Samsic - their branding is very inconspicuous on the jersey, so every time I see one of their riders, it takes me a moment to work out what team it is. Slightly missing the point of having commercial sponsors for teams. At least WGG have their branding reasonably clear.

Alexander Kristoff’s European Champion jersey is similarly hard to distinguish at a glance.

Their website has some uninspiring text, such as:
Since the cessation of activity at the end of 2013 of his team Vacansoleil, which participated three times in the Tour de France (from 2011 to 2013) without winning a stage, sporting director Hilaire Van der Schueren has been busy with Wanty-Groupe Gobert. He is a dinosaur in the profession
https://www.letour.fr/en/team/WGG/wanty-groupe-gobert

Good grief. Their marketing team need a rocket up the arse.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."