Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 134923 times)

Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #950 on: 28 July, 2018, 12:14:30 pm »
 ;D  Dinosaur lost in translation?  German version has urgestein which I think is veteran...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Samuel D

« Reply #951 on: 28 July, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »
There’s no guarantee it wasn’t ASO’s translation. Their translations are generally amateurish, as is their unbelievably bad letour.fr website and a lot else. Not exactly a showcase of French competitiveness.

« Reply #952 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »
My god, some of those TT bikes are fugly. Nils Pollit's square-sectioned frame is surely deserving of some kind of time penalty on the grounds of aesthetics. Brings to mind the sleek elegance of a 1970s Bikerton spruced up with a hurried application of Dulux red gloss.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #953 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:10:04 pm »
;D  Dinosaur lost in translation?  German version has urgestein which I think is veteran...

...with overtones of founding father.

There’s no guarantee it wasn’t ASO’s translation. Their translations are generally amateurish, as is their unbelievably bad letour.fr website and a lot else. Not exactly a showcase of French competitiveness.

ASO will be incapable of telling good from bad translation but will be very good at telling if one price is lower than another, so the job will go to whichever agency put in the lowest bid. Since agencies usually farm work out to freelance translators, whichever agency gets it will then have to put the screws on its translators to show a profit. The translators will then turn in fast, sloppy work since they want to get on to something that pays a living wage. Typically, the rate they get for a job like this will be very little more than a typist would get for bashing it into Word.

The end client would probably take 3 months to settle the agency's bill, and the agency could well take another 3 to pay its translators.

Mrs T42 was a translator for 30 years.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #954 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:24:13 pm »
Offredo's brakes stopped working at some point and he finished the TT without.

Interviewer: wasn't there a spare TT bike on the car?
YO: no comment

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #955 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:51:34 pm »
Offredo's brakes stopped working at some point and he finished the TT without.

Interviewer: wasn't there a spare TT bike on the car?
YO: no comment

Must have been during the shitverts over here.  But we have had the tale of T Dumoulin's missing skinsuit, Evil C Boardman speculating about the time limit and *** and Super D being non-commital about vultures.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #956 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »
Must have been during the shitverts over here.  But we have had the tale of T Dumoulin's missing skinsuit, Evil C Boardman speculating about the time limit and *** and Super D being non-commital about vultures.

And not to forget "Castroviejo is basically dressed as a toilet"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #957 on: 28 July, 2018, 02:09:04 pm »
It's caffeine flavoured shampoo from Germany. $Deity alone knows what effect caffeine is supposed to have on yer bonce.  For myself, now where did I put my tinfoil hat?, I think it's a cunning plan by the Germans to get even more caffeine* into their riders without the UCI/WADA/whoever sussing what's going on.  The shampoo thing is merely an elaborate distraction op. being run by the Bund Deutscher Radfahrer cos it's not a real product at all.  I mean, how can it be?  Really?  Caffeine flavoured shampoo? S'gotta be a blind.  No one would fall for such obvious guff would they?

I dunno, but if it encourages one tech geek with the maturity of a 14 year old to wash more frequently, it's got to be worth it...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #958 on: 28 July, 2018, 02:21:51 pm »
Say after me, ***, I must not confuse Victor Hugo and Jules Verne.  Neither of whom being the author of "20,000 Fathoms Under The Sea".

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #959 on: 28 July, 2018, 03:36:28 pm »
And while we are castigating ***.  Boulting, you dimwit. Repeat after me. It is "sliver" not "slither".  "Slither" is the motion of a snake and not a thin slice, fraction or small piece or fragment you ignorant clot .  Gah!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #960 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
\o/ \G/ \o/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #961 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:16:28 pm »
Much less barracking for Froome this time, but then this is the Pays Basque.

« Reply #962 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:18:22 pm »
Plenty of boos along the way.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #963 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:27:29 pm »
Even a few when G went past, the rotters.

CP Sagan may have (temporarily?) given up "crazy" but Dumoulin and Roglič are more than making up for it.  For sure.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #964 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:31:26 pm »
Sure there were plenty, but less than on the mountain stages and a lot more applause. Basques don't have the same prejudices.

« Reply #965 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:41:55 pm »
G!!  Glad Froome made the podium.

Wonder what happened with the timing mismatch.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #966 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:48:28 pm »
Plenty of boos along the way.
Nah, they're cheering Froooooooooooome, I'm sure of it  ;)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #967 on: 28 July, 2018, 05:03:15 pm »
A Welsh man in yellow ...
(click to show/hide)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #968 on: 28 July, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
Now, my understanding is that tomorrow by tradition is a none racing day for the GC contenders and the only people that will be getting excited are the sprinters and whomever it is that wants to target the stage win. But is this the law, or is it just convention. It’s a flat road stage so realistically any break is going to get shut down pretty quickly, but what would happen if Domoulin and team staged a successful break? Would he be told to stop it, or is it just the fact that it is virtually impossible,to stage a successful break on a flat road,stage that no one bothers?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #969 on: 28 July, 2018, 05:17:20 pm »
Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle > Espelette

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #970 on: 28 July, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »
Now, my understanding is that tomorrow by tradition is a none racing day for the GC contenders and the only people that will be getting excited are the sprinters and whomever it is that wants to target the stage win. But is this the law, or is it just convention. It’s a flat road stage so realistically any break is going to get shut down pretty quickly, but what would happen if Domoulin and team staged a successful break? Would he be told to stop it, or is it just the fact that it is virtually impossible,to stage a successful break on a flat road,stage that no one bothers?

In theory it's just a convention but it would be too difficult to hold off an enraged pelican for long enough to build up enough of a lead.  Vinokourov managed a successful break in 2005 to overtake Leipheimer on GC but he only needed two seconds.  That was the last time it's not been a bunch sprint.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #971 on: 28 July, 2018, 09:33:33 pm »
Hooray for G Thomas, the big cry baby :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Samuel D

« Reply #972 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »
Alas, he had composed himself by the time he appeared on French TV and maybe overcompensated in the other direction.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #973 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:15:57 pm »
Question: moto cam zoomed in on GT's down tube and it seemed all square and looked like it had a solar panel in it. ???
Any of you clever clogs can enlightenen me?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #974 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:38:27 pm »
Question: moto cam zoomed in on GT's down tube and it seemed all square and looked like it had a solar panel in it. ???
Any of you clever clogs can enlightenen me?

It's the access panel for the drive motor's battery.

The above may contain traces of LIE.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche