Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194257 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #50 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:03:22 am »
Was Stephen King talking through his hat when he wrote of tubeless bike tyres being available in 1958?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Phil W

« Reply #51 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:12:58 pm »
Talking through his  presta valve I suspect, but happy to be proved wrong.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #52 on: 09 March, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »
I've been using Hutchinson Intensive 25s for over three years now. Mounted on Stans No Tubes ALPHA 340 rims - these rims, with your choice of hubs n spokes, make for some seriously light wheels.

Most of you know my mileages, but in case you don't I did 33,300 kilometres nominal in Audax events last season, but including over-distances on calendar events, and even a few non Audax journeys, you could call it 35,000 kms. Previous two years each around 25,000 kms.  So that's over 85,000 kms on tubeless.

Problems?

Once I had a split in the rear tyre that was too bad to repair with an inner tube and tyre boot, but that was my fault entirely because, as the bike shop diplomatically pointed out, I had worn right through to the carcass, and it split right along the middle in the rolling direction for over two inches..... (several other areas of carcass were visible elsewhere but not yet split....)

Recently on my 'spare' bike I had gradually reducing pressure and had to stop to pump back up three times, each time getting about 13 kms more before repumping. Then I gave up and put in an inner tube, which solved it.  This was also my fault entirely because I had switched to the spare bike very late in the previous day, (main bike crank to pedal interface had come loose betwixt carbon crank and metal insert), and I forgot to top up sealant levels in the spare's tyres (which had not been used for nearly a year.....)  it seemed obvious with hindsight that without sealant a tiny hole didn't seal, hence slow pressure loss.  Once back home, I inserted sealant and reinflated, which sealed the tiny hole right away - I just rechecked and fifteen days later the tyre is still more or less at riding pressure....

Apart from those two I did 85,000 kilometres without having to stop by the road to attend to tyres....

Read that again!!

Yes I pay £50 per tyre, but how many inner tubes would you buy / use over 85,000 kms ?? (At what cost?)

Fitting clincher tyres to Stans Alpha 340 tubeless rims in emergencies ?

I carry a Continental GP Supersonic Folding Tyre in 23 mm, just in case, and I tested fitting it this morning on my Alpha 340 wheel that the trailer rolls on, mainly choosing this as a test wheel because it's not been used for at least two years, so I knew the sealant would be gone (it's messy when you change, when it's actually wet...). I have very weak hands, following from my accident BUT I was able to mount this 23 mm brand new folding tyre onto the 340 rim, complete with a lightweight inner tube, in eleven minutes, WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE TYRE LEVERS. Just using my thumbs and fingers.  (Little weak me fitting tyres without levers!!). There is a small 'trick' whereby you pinch both sides of the tyre together, so it goes into the rim well on the opposite side to where you are trying to push the last bit of the tyre over the rim, and this gives you maybe an extra centimetre or so less stretching to do.

Go tubeless  :thumbsup:
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:21:57 am »
I've been using Hutchinson Intensive 25s for over three years now. Mounted on Stans No Tubes ALPHA 340 rims - these rims, with your choice of hubs n spokes, make for some seriously light wheels.
Yes I pay £50 per tyre, but how many inner tubes would you buy / use over 85,000 kms ?? (At what cost?)

Hutchinson Intensive 25s are on XXCycle.fr at 39.90 €
Conti GP4000s II 25s are at 33.90 €

Difference = about 1.5 tubes.

Sounds good.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #54 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »

Most of you know my mileages, but in case you don't I did 33,300 kilometres nominal in Audax events last season, but including over-distances on calendar events, and even a few non Audax journeys, you could call it 35,000 kms. Previous two years each around 25,000 kms.  So that's over 85,000 kms on tubeless.

How many miles/km do you think you get out of a rear tyre?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #55 on: 22 June, 2015, 04:22:53 pm »

How many miles/km do you think you get out of a rear tyre?

Can't say really - Ido such high mike ages and I can never remember when the tyres were fitted....

I know that sounds like an excuse, but it's a brain injury / memory problem

I've now moved on to Hutchinsons Sector 28 tubeless, ans have done five successive 600s on them, and St the bike shop on Thursday they were pronounced as lightly worn!!

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #56 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »
Fairy nuff. Sounds like you are getting about 6000km or more, then. That's good, very very good for a light fast tyre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #57 on: 18 July, 2015, 04:22:54 am »

Hutchinson Intensive 25s are on XXCycle.fr at 39.90 €
Conti GP4000s II 25s are at 33.90 €

Difference = about 1.5 tubes.

Sounds good.

Schwalbe One tubeless from bike-discount.de at ~€30
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

« Reply #58 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:10:56 pm »
What pressure do people run tubeless tyres at?  I've done some searches and, surprisingly, don't find much on this.

« Reply #59 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:49:32 pm »
80 / 70 typically. Last week I'd a sealed puncture (i.e. I hadn't realised I'd had a puncture which had bled air and then sealed) and went out with 50 psi in the rear -- it was very comfy and didn't seem obviously slower. Tyres are 28mm Schwalbe Ones.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #60 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:11:37 am »
85 psi Hurchinson Sector 28 tubeless

Fast n comfy

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #61 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:21:25 am »
Would be useful to know approx rider weights - BM, I thought you weighed about as much as a damp paper bag, so 85psi surprises me a bit given I'm only running about 90, 95psi on 25mm Krylions (tubed) and am 80, 85ish kg.

« Reply #62 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:07:12 am »
What pressure do people run tubeless tyres at?  I've done some searches and, surprisingly, don't find much on this.

Currently running Schwalbe One 28 tubeless at 75/80psi (or 5/5.5 bar)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #63 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:22:14 am »
Schwalbe One Tubeless - 28mm 80/65 psi 85kgs rider 8.4kgs bike

« Reply #64 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:33:49 am »
Hutchinson Sector 28s - 72.5 front, 80 rear, and I weigh 65kg.
They've done 5,700km so far and don't appear to be very worn when comparing them to the new pair I have for when they do.

« Reply #65 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:21:19 pm »
Interesting, thanks

Mine are Schwalbe One / 25mm. 
I'm 11st / 70kg

The chap who built my wheels suggested 65-70 front and 70-75 rear.  I thought that wasn't very much and have been running them at 80/90.  But when I did searches I started reading things about wheels coming off the rim ( :o !), so thought I'd see what others were doing.  It looks like I'm in the same general range as most people.

Phil W

« Reply #66 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:49:33 pm »
70 front, 80 rear, sectir 28mm. I'm about 73kg at the mo.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #67 on: 23 July, 2015, 12:15:50 am »
I'm around 62 kgs

Sector 28s...

Have been running 85 psi since inception about 8000 Km's ago..

They hardly lose any pressure, maybe half a dozen strokes of a floor pump after three or four days standing....

Some of the above answers tempt me to try lower though.... But I'm worried that over a protracted event, e.g. from Paris to somewhere west and back, I might lose too much..

How are those lower pressures standing up post ride??

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #68 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:28:25 am »
I'm around 62 kgs

Sector 28s...

They hardly lose any pressure, maybe half a dozen strokes of a floor pump after three or four days standing....

Some of the above answers tempt me to try lower though.... But I'm worried that over a protracted event, e.g. from Paris to somewhere west and back, I might lose too much..

Mine have settled and dont see, to lose much now. Even after aweek, when there is a measurable loss of pressure, I would still be confident riding them.

Mike

« Reply #69 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:53:18 am »
So, um, Schwalbe Ones, or Sector 28s?

Can find both for under €40, which seems reasonable enough, albeit postage bumps it up a little.

« Reply #70 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:58:17 am »
So, um, Schwalbe Ones, or Sector 28s?

Can find both for under €40, which seems reasonable enough, albeit postage bumps it up a little.

Not sure who's tried both. I've only ridden the Schwalbes, and they're fine and dandy. Others may offer similar views on the Sectors.

Perhaps it's second order and unimportant, so the web will have variety of answers to choose from;)

Ben T

« Reply #71 on: 23 July, 2015, 07:53:56 am »
I'm around 62 kgs

Sector 28s...

What do you find the (esp. wet) grip of Hutchinsons like?

Any diff between sector and intensive other than 25/28 - any particular reason to switch?

« Reply #72 on: 23 July, 2015, 08:06:01 am »
I'm worried that over a protracted event, e.g. from Paris to somewhere west and back, I might lose too much..

You'll be able to find a track pump at the controls.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #73 on: 23 July, 2015, 08:46:16 pm »
I'm around 62 kgs

Sector 28s...

What do you find the (esp. wet) grip of Hutchinsons like?

Any diff between sector and intensive other than 25/28 - any particular reason to switch?

Sector 28 are fine in the wet (once the initial mold removal layer has gone)

I switched to them after I lost my front wheel on a very steep downhill harepin on the Brevet Cymru, whilst riding Intensive 25...

The sector 28 has a central section that flattens down as you ride and is more or less a slick, but as you lean there is a 'stippled' area on each side which I think gives more grip...

TBH Ben, I'm a bit of a wet road wimp at the moment, so my opinions are based on very conservative riding, but hopefully someone will be able to tell from a more aggressive background!!

Cycling heatmap

Ben T

« Reply #74 on: 23 July, 2015, 11:51:37 pm »
Yeah, I'm quite a bit less confident than I was especially on wet descents since I came off on a wet descent in the alps.... I wouldn't blame the tyres completely, I was probably going too fast for the conditions, but I have also noticed on those short little steep inclines that you can power up standing up I've noticed wheel spinning when it's muddy on intensives whereas I never have with other tyres.