Author Topic: Tinned potatoes  (Read 14611 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Tinned potatoes
« Reply #50 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:22:56 am »
Surely this is the king of canned food:

I bought some of that, it isn’t cheap, and was underwhelmed, it was quite greasy. Perhaps I should try again, in the interests of science of course.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #51 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:24:02 am »
In my touring-in-France days tinned cassoulet and saucisses aux lentilles were the two staples.  Along with vin rouge of the tooth-enamel-stripping variety.

I have some of that to try next!

« Reply #53 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:33:40 am »
Tinned anything was very much a case in teh ration packs I used to play around with in my air cadet days
- Tinned sausages, about half a dozen in a tin full of lard  :sick:when warm, worse when cold
- cheese and butter, meh
- unrecognisable stews, generally ok with copious application of S&P and herbs
- oatmeal blocks and mixed fruit pudding - I'd sell my own soul for those, or even my first born

As for tinned potatoes, I'm going camping next week, and whilst I've added fig rolls to my list, I'm not expecting zombies, and  tinned spuds are useless against midges, so they'll be staying where the should be - nowhere near me.

The Armed forces have since lost their love affair with tinned food. It's all in foil packets now. I've just bought two 24 hour ration packs* ready for the more remote parts on a trek along the Cambrian Way next week - even the peanuts are vacuum packed in foil.

* A friend of a friend I was drinking with recently who is ex Serbian Army** suggested they were better than Wayfairer type meals - the problem I'm finding is they are wet food so each box is nearly 4kg. I don't expect them to survive into the second week where the pubs run out on account of needing to shed some weight.

** He has some stories to tell from the 90s
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #54 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
What. I love tinned potatoes! I'd rather not think of the process they go through as probably chemically pealed

Me too!  Although they don’t really taste like potatoes. In fact I love most tinned food, here in France they have a great selection of weird and wonderful stuff in tins and jars which I am sampling as the opportunity presents much to the horror of The Current Mrs R  :smug: :sick:

I remember what you are like. Sampling a sausage from The Promenade Cafe in Gravesend despite having had several warnings regarding their quality - And then when you tasted it, even you pulled a face....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #55 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:47:54 am »
I’d forgotten about that!   ;D

« Reply #56 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:52:04 am »
I bought some of that, it isn’t cheap, and was underwhelmed, it was quite greasy. Perhaps I should try again, in the interests of science of course.

Greasy, it's cassoulet of coarse it's greasy !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #57 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:05:48 am »
Surely this is the king of canned food:

Nah... confit de canard, accept no substitutes.

Lovely tender duck, and all that spare duck fat makes for great roast or sautéed spuds.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #58 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:09:12 am »
soemthing like that may find its way into my basket...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Oscar's dad

« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:28:21 am »

Okay, I shall try again and report back.

ian

« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:31:01 am »
They're an essential ingredient of corned beef pie (chop up a tin of corned beef into a pyrex dish, add drained tin of potatoes, cover with frozen puff pastry and put in oven till the pastry is cooked). I confess I've not eaten this since I was a kid, but I now have a craving that I know won't be shared by my wife.

« Reply #61 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:38:21 am »

A bottle of robust red to wash it down with is a must.

« Reply #62 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:21:40 pm »

The canonical method for canned cassoulet is to empty into a shallow dish, grate some emmental over (dot with butter to add extra crispy brown-ness) and bake for around 30 minutes @ 1800 +, eat with the nearest thing to french bread

« Reply #63 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:26:57 pm »

The canonical method for canned cassoulet is to empty into a shallow dish, grate some emmental over (dot with butter to add extra crispy brown-ness) and bake for around 30 minutes @ 1800 +, eat with the nearest thing to french bread

I have a really big tin of it that came with the proper dish for baking it in. I need to organise some friends who also like cassoulet as Mrs and Master Pcolbeck cant even stand the idea of it.

« Reply #64 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:32:46 pm »
One of the big tins just about fits in a trangia saucepan  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #65 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:45:56 pm »
Cassoulet? You can recreate this French meal with an industrial-sized tin of beans and sausages and a KFC bargain bucket. OK, if you want to be classy, a Nandos take-out.

Soirees at The Asbestos Palace are always appropriately majestic.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #66 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:47:53 pm »

I’m on it and the bottle of robust red. This may warrant a separate thread...

« Reply #67 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:51:52 pm »
If you are still in Frogland and are feeling flush, Comte is possibly the best cheese to use but a bit of a waste, French emmental is good, too. I have been known to grate a little parmesan with anemic supermarket emmental.

« Reply #68 on: 23 July, 2019, 05:53:02 pm »
I’d forgotten about that!   ;D

The only thing which beats your expression on that occasion, is that of delthebike when, along with Wowbagger,  Aunty Helen and others, we rode to Foulness Island on the one day in the year that the MOD allow public access.
The pub on the island is no longer open for business, so a picnic was the order of the day.
Amongst our comestibles, Pippa and myself had some olives. Del had never tasted an olive...

I don't think Del actually finished the olive that he tried that day, and I'll put money on it that he hasn't tried another one since.
Olives. The Marmite of your five-a-day.

« Reply #69 on: 26 July, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »
The company provided "hog" roast was accompanied by potato salad made with tinned potatoes (as opposed to being tinned potato salad IYSWIM). It was, well, ok.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #70 on: 26 July, 2019, 05:12:23 pm »
My mother still does the 'euuuueegghhh, it's for your ears' every time she sees a bottle of olive oil. I don't think anyone in my family other than me has even contemplated an olive.

I grew up with For Mash Get Smash!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #71 on: 26 July, 2019, 05:21:51 pm »
Olive oil is for your ears?  ??? ??? ???

This is my WTF moment of the week - please explain :-)

[edit] Ah, OK, googled it.  Nvm
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #72 on: 26 July, 2019, 06:06:57 pm »
I didn't Google.

I am old enough to remember when Boots the Chemist sol Olive Oil in 50ml bottles for the softening of ear wax and it was not otherwise available for purchase.

I KNOW I'm more than middle-aged...

Still, we'll revert to those 'Good Old Days' after Brexit.

Hurrah for Bread and Dripping!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #73 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:42:13 pm »
Ah. Digging deep in the dripping bowl for the dark bits for your toast.

Yes. I remember olive oil in the ears as a wax cleaner.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:48:32 pm »
I had a strange upbringing:  Augmentin for ears, olive oil wasn't a thing, and dripping was kept in a tin on the kitchen windowsill until the day the cat, erm, redistributed, it.