Author Topic: What is wrong with my nose?  (Read 1426 times)

What is wrong with my nose?
« on: 05 April, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »
I do not have a cold. In the normal course of events, I rarely have to blow my nose.

Yet the minute I jump on a bike at the moment, I have to let loose snot rockets every 200m or so.

The sheer volume of snot I'm generating - ONLY when riding, is quite unbelieveable. It simply does not cease.

After 3 months of this, its getting very annoying. My poor septum is not happy. It is making riding a bike anywhere a complete PITN (pain-in-the-nose) and very uncomfortable.

The thought of spending 300k on Yr Elenydd having to blow snot rockets to the left and right 1500 times is not welcome.

Any ideas?

Corks?
I like maps me

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: What is wrong with my nose?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »
New allergy?

(Uneducated guess, but a lot of what ails me is usually down to an allergy, so it's like my default diagnosis)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
I think it snot your nose. It could be eye irritation.

Have you tried wearing goggles? I use industrial eye protection goggles from DIY shops because they are much better than cycling goggles at the same price IME.

I used to get a blocked up nose and very itchy eyes in the summer from hayfever until I started wearing goggles. When I started wearing goggles I was pleased that I could still breathe through my nose after 200 miles on account of it being virtually snot free.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:05:21 pm »
I produce huge amounts of snot riding in the cold.

TG's suggestion of eye protection does make a difference to the amount I produce.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:06:33 pm »
I don't think its my eyes. Makes no difference whether I wear shades or not. They're not watering, and as a contact lens wearer I'm usually pretty aware of whether they're coping or not.

I'm wondering if it is exercise induced rhinitis, but I'm perplexed as to how it can suddenly have become a problem.
I like maps me

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
I get the same every winter, but at home I'm fine I don't know what causes it

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
My nose does this sort of thing all the time.  Worse in the winter (cold) and Spring/Summer (allergies).  Hence my general love of Autumn and riding at night.

But it's weird that it's started suddenly...

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:10:25 pm »
I can relate. All recent rides have featured copious snot flows; mostly of the watery "just let it drip" kind.

I'd put it down to The Cold. Could well be eye related - I've had red bleary eyes after these rides too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
My eyes were distinctly Not Right (aching, blurred vision) for about 24 hours after the FNRttC last week.  I don't think I've been out in those kind of cold, dry conditions for that long before - at least not without a ski mask.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »
This has been my snottiest winter ever on the bike. I'm certain it's coincided with long hours in dry cold air, over a number of weekends.

(Also had my first snotcicles last weekend - life's full of new things  ::-)  )

Your body wants the nose to be full of protective goo in these conditions - it's probably best to resist violently expelling it, despite ones instincts! I think I might have an irritated septum too, but nothing painful.

Don't worry too much - what's the worst that can happen?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »
Bum. I wonder if I can fashion some kind of nose bandana? Just to add to my air of debonair stylishness and sophistication, as much as anything. I could team it up with my MX goggles too, just to make absolutely sure I get arrested.
I like maps me

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:53:15 pm »
Ninja-style buff is your friend.
Collects every drip.

How about a yacf one? Click for order instructions

(Did you see what I did there? Golly, I'm good at this sales malarky!)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:57:41 pm »
Everyone suffers from the problem to some extent, but some of us get it MUCH worse than others.  (Hence why some people can't understand why all the snot can't be contained in tissues or hankies).  There must be something wrong with us.

A theory I've dreamt up: my nose etc is battered by dust mite allergy at home, that somehow leaves me more vulnerable when I go out into the cold.

Covering my nose and mouth with a balaclava helps a bit, but I can't breath very well like that.  It's too warm for a balaclava most of the time anyway.  It's only in high summer that I'm dry.  Glasses make no difference for me either.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »
That is exactly the problem biggsy. I can't suck air though a buff quick enough, breathing out though my nose leads me to being plastered in snot, breathing out through my mouth leads to a sopping wet buff that is even more air impermiable and general unpleasantness.

I have a few buffs kicking about. Might chop one of them up into a narrower band.
I like maps me

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
In cold weather my nose runs like a tap. It pisses me off no end.
Not good when I'm out on the bike and aiming to nip into a shop to buy something: Hi, it's Snot Man. Don't back away, it's mostly water and totally harmless.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »
This thread is useless without pictures.

(Do I get a point for being first? Is it like Mornington Crescent?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »
I find the recumbent position helps with the really runny snot, at least to a point.  Means it goes down your throat like it's supposed to rather than dripping everywhere.  Unfortunately, once you do need to perform a snot-rocket, the risk of getting it all over your shoulder is much higher...   :sick:

« Reply #17 on: 05 April, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »
I'm pretty good at firing a clear shot, but if you're having to do it as much as I am of late, some shots will inevitably go awry. Some of them are a bit, er, stringy, too ...  :sick:

matt, I will endeavour to oblige you.
I like maps me